What are you reading in 2022?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I just reread CJ Cherryh's Morgaine trilogy - I definitely have the books, but I must have picked up another set somewhere because they were on the to-be-read shelf, so I did.

So good. Love them.

Good ol' CJ. Nobody gets any sleep in her books.
So true. Her books are just the kinetic energy of a ball rolling down a slide

Nellisir

Hero
So true. Her books are just the kinetic energy of a ball rolling down a slide
I found Exile's Gate, the 4th book, and at halfway+ through, it's really kicked off. I feel for the horses.

Also, I unpacked at least 20 boxes of books. Are they organized? No. Are they all neat and tidy? No. Are there more boxes? Yes. But OMG people...it's so good. They're finally out and accessible. I can see them. I found a box of "holy smokes these are really good!" books from when I restarted reading in 2010/2011, and I WANT TO REREAD THEM ALL.

I've got two more boxes of "to be read", and four boxes of "these are the really really good ones I've been carrying around forever and ever", but I'm temporarily out of shelf space.

Richards

Legend
I finished off Dark As Day this morning, spending an hour and a half getting to the end. It was a good read, but it's a large, hardback book and as I'll be spending most of the day tomorrow flying across country and back on a C-12, I wanted to be finished with the big book so I could start a paperback. (Smaller books fit in my travel bag much better.) So, after hitting the library book sale yesterday, I decided on starting up The Drowning City by Amanda Downum. It was her first novel from back in 2009 and I hope it's good because I also picked up the sequel, The Bone Palace. They feature a female necromancer named Isyllt Iskaldur (I'm not a big fan of that name), and that alone made it worth the nominal expenditure (one dollar for both books) as I don't believe I've ever read anything with a necromancer protagonist before. I'm hoping this first novel makes me want to tackle the second one next; if not, I picked up seven other books at the sale (five of them from one author I've never read before - so fingers crossed there - and two others by an author I trust implicitly, but the latter's books are both hardcover so they're not optimal for tomorrow's trip) so I should (hopefully) have enough reading material to keep me busy for a while.

Johnathan

Richards

Legend
I'm really enjoying The Drowning City - I'm over halfway through it after today's lengthy plane ride. Some interesting worldbuilding and I like how magic works in this world. And the protagonist is a necromancer, but not of the D&D "raise corpses as undead to do my bidding" sort - she just interacts with dead spirits (at least so far). Things bode well for my reading through this book and its sequel.

Johnathan

That's been sitting on my Kindle for a while. Glad to hear it's good so far.

I'm really enjoying The Drowning City - I'm over halfway through it after today's lengthy plane ride. Some interesting worldbuilding and I like how magic works in this world. And the protagonist is a necromancer, but not of the D&D "raise corpses as undead to do my bidding" sort - she just interacts with dead spirits (at least so far). Things bode well for my reading through this book and its sequel.

Johnathan

I finished re-reading Vance's Cugel's Saga. Loved it.

Now I'm finally getting to Michael Moorcock's The Final Programme. It's been on my list to read for a while, but I've just passed it by each time prior in favor of other Moorcock.

12670709_10154090633094764_1823682929592402642_n.jpg

Yes! Cugel is a classic fantasy scoundrel, to be sure. But he wouldn't be half as fun to read about if just about everyone else wasn't trying to get one over on him at the same time.

Cugel the Clever is one of my all-time favorite Vance characters. Have you read "The Eyes of the Overworld?"

Remove ads