What are you reading in 2022?

It's been a while since I've read the Golden Compass, but I seem to recall that it was very much of the "we'll explain these things as we go along" writing style. In any case, it's a lovely series.

I've now moved on to The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman. I'm only about 50 pages in, but I'm enjoying it so far. So far it really hasn't explained some of the main elements of the setting necessary to understanding the story, but I've also read The Way of Kings, so I'm fairly accustomed to that feeling.

I finished McGuire's In An Absent Dream. The Wayward Children series has yet to let me down - each book is just as magical as the one that came before.

Now I'm back to old sword & sorcery with the Robert Hoskins edited Swords Against Tomorrow.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Agreed. It takes time to explain things, and the first book is great, the others good.
Not much to add in terms of value to the Golden Compass theme except to say ditto.

I have also found the sequel trilogy novels to be entertaining; although not as gripping as the first trilogy. However, second book seemed to be leaning more into a creepy spooky vibe that I enjoyed.

Scottius

Adventurer
I just recently finished reading a couple of my recent Half Price Books finds. Silverglass by J. F. Rifkin was a fun little Sword & Sorcery romp that was basically a road trip story with an odd couple angle where a magic distrusting warrior and a sorcery practicing noble team up despite distrusting each other. Both of the leads are women as well which is nice to see in a S&S story.

I also finished Calling Dr Patchwork by Ron Goulart. It was an adventure-comedy about a married couple who solve improbable crimes. It was a short and light read but had an interesting setting with people with talents mutant powers like shape shifting, generating electricity, etc. I enjoyed it well enough and am looking forward to checking out some of Mr Goulart's other books I picked up at the same time

And now I'm starting in on the first book in the S&S anthology series Swords Against Darkness as found in Appendix N of the 1st edition DMG.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
In the middle of Merrit's Dweller's in the Mirage.

Took a break from that and read John Sandford's novel "The Investigator" featuring Letty. Except for about two pages, I really liked it. I typically like his Virgil ones more than his Prey ones.

Remove ads