What are you reading in 2022?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
@Ulfgeir 's recent post put a question in my mind. What Urban Fantasy would you recommend that isn't "I'm a Mary Sue who fights things that go bump in the night". There's a lot of good stuff I've read, but I've also seen a decent amount of schlock.

So what should I read next in Urban Fantasy?

Ulfgeir

Hero
@Ulfgeir 's recent post put a question in my mind. What Urban Fantasy would you recommend that isn't "I'm a Mary Sue who fights things that go bump in the night". There's a lot of good stuff I've read, but I've also seen a decent amount of schlock.

I really liked the Gallow and Ragged-trilogy by Lilith Sainthcrow, But yes, the main characters are more powerful than mere mortal humans. Of course their opposition are more powerful, as in the Queen of Summer and Lord Unwinter...

Mallus

Legend
Well I tried to read Nabokov's Ada, or Ardor. I bounced off of it hard, which surprised me a little because when I read Lolita and Pale Fire I didn't find them difficult. Oh wait, I was decades younger! Never mind. I'll try again someday. I had no idea it technically qualifies as sci-fi (by being an alternate history).

Then to reassure myself that I could read at least some books quickly, I got Adrian Tchaikovsky's Eyes of the Void from the library and finished it in three days. Apparently it's the second book in a planned trilogy, but I had no problem starting there. Rip-roaring space opera that I highly recommend.

Nellisir

Hero

Mike Carey's little series. I forget the name.

Read the first two series a while ago, and am currently working through the Count Brass follow-up. Great stuff, but really, it's hard to go wrong with Moorcock.

Just finished Michael Moorcocks Corum trilogies and Hawkmoon Quartet. Here comes Count Brass…

I finished Akers' Transit to Scorpio. While very derivative of ESB's Barsoom stories, it was at least a rollicking bit of light entertainment. When I was a kid, my parents moved to a house that still had a bunch of stuff from the previous residents in it. In a room that also featured a life-size Mark Spitz poster, there were a bunch of books that I was curious about, but didn't touch because they weren't mine (even if the previous owner had left them behind). Years later, I got to thinking about those books again. I didn't know the title or author; all I remembered were the covers, that they would've been published before 1985, and that they were published by DAW Books. Armed with that information, I finally was able to track down the first in the series.

Now I'm reading Ernest Cline's Ready Player Two.

Scottius

Adventurer
Read the first two series a while ago, and am currently working through the Count Brass follow-up. Great stuff, but really, it's hard to go wrong with Moorcock.

I finished Akers' Transit to Scorpio. While very derivative of ESB's Barsoom stories, it was at least a rollicking bit of light entertainment. When I was a kid, my parents moved to a house that still had a bunch of stuff from the previous residents in it. In a room that also featured a life-size Mark Spitz poster, there were a bunch of books that I was curious about, but didn't touch because they weren't mine (even if the previous owner had left them behind). Years later, I got to thinking about those books again. I didn't know the title or author; all I remembered were the covers, that they would've been published before 1985, and that they were published by DAW Books. Armed with that information, I finally was able to track down the first in the series.

Now I'm reading Ernest Cline's Ready Player Two.
I picked up quite a few of Akers books from that series not that long ago from half price books. It's on my reading list.

As for my current reading, I just completed a reread of Designers & Dragons the 90s. It's my third time reading the series now and I love revisiting the history of the RPG industry just as much as ever. I really can't wait for Appelcline to finish putting together the 2010s.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Whatever I'm reading probably won't come from the non-text book section of our campus bookstore. This is all that's left after the last 20+ years of gradual shrinking and the recent remodel. :-(

Makes me think back to the big wall of sci-fi and fantasy books when I was an undergrad in the midwest. I wonder if they have much of a selection left either.

1655244066515.png

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases