What are you reading? [March 2017]

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I just started The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett and The invisible Man by H.G. Wells. Both classics that I waited too long to read.

I was wondering, do others read more than book at a time? What is your limit? Mine is three.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I read multiple books at a time. Besides anything else I'll have some book that either fluff or a reread on my phone for when I unexpectedly have nothing to do and have no book.

If a book is larger then a mass market paperback (I can slip that into my pocket) I may grab another book if I'm heading out and expect a delay.

I've, ahem, misplaced books with some regularity and started another, then found the first.

I can add a non-fiction book to my reading while still reading fiction.

Right now I'm actively reading Terry Pratchet's Moving Pictures, which started as a small-form-factor book while I was reading GGK's Under Heaven, but I've finished that. I had started, misplaced, then found under the couch Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds, but since it's also fictional China based like Under Heaven, I'm waiting a bit before I continue. I have Saladin Ahmed's Throne of the Crescent Moon on my phone. I'm also reading The Good Gut, non-fiction about gut flora.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Just finished Ben Wallace books that take place after bombs drop. Entertaining. Currently reading Ocean at the End of the Lane. Then I will go back to The Light Fantastic, which I am not so far enjoying as much as the first book.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Janx

Hero
I am backlogged on reading stuff for my writer's guild.

I've got a draft novel from a writer friend to read and markup

I've got a guild member Curt Locklear's published novel Asunder to check out and do a review on. it's a civil war piece. Not sure what it's about yet as I just started it last night.

I'm not sure what I'd be reading next if these hadn't gotten on the queue.

I finished the 1st draft of my novel last month. I'm letting it ferment. I suspect there are some good bits in there, but I may have a mess of a story and predict I'll be pulling large tracts out as notes and resculpting the plot.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The Expanse show got me reading Leviathan Wakes by James Corey. So far so good! Love the show and the book is going well.

Also reading The Art of Power by Jon Meacham. Its an autobiograpy of one of my favorite Presidents, Thomas Jefferson. I've been meaning to knock it out for a while but things keep coming up. Digging into it now. Will probalby tackle American Lion by the same author next.

carrot

Explorer
I'm working my way through "The faithful and the Fallen" series by John Gwynne. Currently I'm on book 3 of 4. It's proving to be an entertaining story with quite a few unexpected plot twists. It does have a few plot holes, and the battle scenes tend to be a little silly, but I'm enjoying it anyway!

After I finish book 4, I'm onto the latest Green Rider book by Kristen Britain.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Then I will go back to The Light Fantastic, which I am not so far enjoying as much as the first book.

Personally I like the later Discworld books better then the first few. But I have to admit that I was deficient in reading them, less than 8 over the years. Last summer I started picking them up and reading internal series - like all the guards books, then all the witches books. I recently reread the first two Rincewind books after several decades, and found that they didn't deliver as well as the more recent books.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Personally I like the later Discworld books better then the first few. But I have to admit that I was deficient in reading them, less than 8 over the years. Last summer I started picking them up and reading internal series - like all the guards books, then all the witches books. I recently reread the first two Rincewind books after several decades, and found that they didn't deliver as well as the more recent books.
Good to know. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nellisir

Hero
Right now I'm actively reading Terry Pratchet's Moving Pictures, which started as a small-form-factor book while I was reading GGK's Under Heaven, but I've finished that. I had started, misplaced, then found under the couch Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds, but since it's also fictional China based like Under Heaven, I'm waiting a bit before I continue. I have Saladin Ahmed's Throne of the Crescent Moon on my phone. I'm also reading The Good Gut, non-fiction about gut flora.

Your reading list sounds a lot like my reading list. Under Heaven is great, but Bridge of Birds is permanently affixed to my best books list. Crescent Moon didn't thrill, alas. I haven't read Moving Pictures, but agree that later Prachett is better than older Prachett. I think I enjoy the biting social satire.

I just pulled out Mind of the Raven, by Bernd Heinrich (about, duh, ravens) to read, and am partway into The Adventures of the Peerless Peer, a Sherlock Holmes-meets-Tarzan book "edited" by Philip Jose Farmer. I've been a bit off my game due to work (ironically, I read less when I'm travelling for work because 13-hour days are exhausting) and illness. I did read December 6, by Martin Cruz Smith (a very good book, per usual, but Harry sounds a lot like Arkady Renko and it's distracting) and You Suck, by Christopher Moore (honestly, didn't enjoy it. I've read it before, so not sure if I forgot that I disliked it or if I was in a more sympathetic mood the first time around.) I also got some game books from John Stater (Bloody Basic Mother Goose Edition; NOD 30; and Blood & Treasure Monsters 2nd Edition.)

And I picked up a copy of The Atlantic at the airport (...Detroit? There are so many...) I remember my parents reading it and thinking it was the most boring stuff on Earth, and now I'm of that age.... <sigh>

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases