What are you reading? [March 2017]

was

Adventurer
..I read only one at time, but I have a stack of them from the library who lets me check them out for three weeks at a time:)

The Invisible Man is a solid piece of work. And it’s pretty impossible to go wrong with Discworld (though I will agree with everyone else that it gets exponentially better as the series goes on).

I normally have one book I carry with me to read, one that I read before going to sleep (generally nothing heady there), and a couple of volumes I’m idly looking through at any one time.

I just finished reading Sanderson’s Arcanum Unbound, his Cosmere Collection of short stories and novellas. I definitely appreciated the spoiler warnings at the beginning of some of them. Now I’m on to Lawrence’s King of Thorns, to see what vicious Jorg Ancrath is up to.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
And it’s pretty impossible to go wrong with Discworld (though I will agree with everyone else that it gets exponentially better as the series goes on).
I'm halfway through it. I like it. Reminds me of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but more enjoyable. There is no "wow-factor" though. I've read many times that the series gets better with time. Why do you think it does?

For my part, I think it’s in the little moments when Terry Pratchett touches on the human condition. How, amidst the comedic elements, these are truths of existence simply and powerful stated.

I'm halfway through it. I like it. Reminds me of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but more enjoyable. There is no "wow-factor" though. I've read many times that the series gets better with time. Why do you think it does?

Nellisir

Hero
For my part, I think it’s in the little moments when Terry Pratchett touches on the human condition. How, amidst the comedic elements, these are truths of existence simply and powerful stated.

This. And, particularly as he gets more into the social commentary side of things, there are very real moments where you sit back and think about how to change our world to make it better.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just started Stephen King's 'The Gun Slinger'.

How is it? I've never been a big King fan, but I've had the sneaking suspicion that an opinion formed a few decades back and not verified with my current reading habits may be holding me back from some good reads.

Do you have a favorite King to introduce people to his writing?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
How is it?
The Gunslinger is composed of novellas. The first one, The Gunslinger, is really really good and it is worth reading just for that one alone. The others aren't great and I didn't make me want to continue the Dark Tower series. The concensus is that the series gets worse as it progresses.

Nah. It is supposed to be the best and it was long and not that well written. The novella The Gunslinger is good though. I'm not sure why King is so popular. I guess his writing is accessable even if they are often very long.

How is it? I've never been a big King fan, but I've had the sneaking suspicion that an opinion formed a few decades back and not verified with my current reading habits may be holding me back from some good reads.

I suggest The Stand complete and unabridge, however most of his work is door stopper length (Under The Dome for paper back was split into two volumes). Carrie is also good IMO but it's written in an after action report style. The Cell was okay. As opposed to Kramodlog I've only heard good stuff about the Dark Tower series. King's also considered by a fairly large number to be one of the masters of Horror fiction.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases