What are you reading this year 2020?

ah, that explains it. I was confused, because it seemed different and far reaching.

Either way, thank you for doing the legwork to keep the conversation about books and reading going.
yeah i should have explained in the OP, but i got the just one thread idea from another forum that I hang out on. Helps keeps it nice and neat.

I grabbed a lot of used books for a buck each at our local con this year, and started reading Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind
I'm really digging it. The writing is good, setting seems nice. So, while I'm reading this first of a three-book series, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Rothfuss will deliver part 3 anytime this year :D

I loved The Name of the Wind. It is not without its flaws, but the absolutely gorgeous prose more than makes up for them.

I would certainly hope that part 3 comes this year, but I've my doubts. Same for the Winds of Winter. I think it much more likely that we'll see The Thorn of Emberlain this year, though.

I grabbed a lot of used books for a buck each at our local con this year, and started reading Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind
I'm really digging it. The writing is good, setting seems nice. So, while I'm reading this first of a three-book series, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Rothfuss will deliver part 3 anytime this year :D

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I should read more. This year I'm making a goal to get through the Neuromancer series and the Wheel of Time series. Started The Eye of the World and Neuromancer already.

Three years back I read all of Wheel of Time. (Well, all the main books, not the prequel or other stories). I had read up to book ... 11? ... previously, and for the first couple books in the series had been rereading the whole thing each time a new book came out.

Anyway, I'm glad I finished a series that I invested so much in. But I've given away the books afterward because I knew I would never attempt to read them all the way through again. It was multiple months, and I needed some side-stories in there as well during the middle of the series as it was slow going. Plus while I like Brandon Sanderson, I feel that his portrayal of some of the characters was not as nuanced and even a bit Flanderized vs. if he had been writing them the whole time - Matt especially.

I'm glad to have read it all through, but my favorite book was book #4 and I would have hoped one of the later ones, especially the climax, would have exceeded it.

Blue

Amazon has the release date of The Thorn of Emberlain as 17 Sep 20. So here's hoping it doesn't get bumped to later....

Johnathan

As of today, Amazon CA has a release date of Oct 12, 2021. A few years back they had a release date in 2018.

There's been interviews with Scott Lynch back in 2018 that it was just a touch more to be done. 2018.

He's got a lot going on; I don't begrudge him the time he needs to create something for my enjoyment. But it'll be out when it's out, and I don't want to chase rumors anymore.

1578179375948.png

pukunui

Legend
On the topic of the Wheel of Time, I only ever got partway through Book 5 before giving up after feeling like I'd already read the same story multiple times. I think the series could have done with fewer characters. A lot of them felt like carbon copies of each other.

Anyway, what am I reading now? All things I started last year:
*D&D 5e's Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus
*D&D 5e's Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica
*Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood

I really need to find some light novels to read this year. Last year was pretty much all D&D and parenting books.

Blue

On the topic of the Wheel of Time, I only ever got partway through Book 5 before giving up after feeling like I'd already read the same story multiple times. I think the series could have done with fewer characters. A lot of them felt like carbon copies of each other.

Just to let you know, they add a lot more point of view characters before the series reached it's finale.

If this is a good thing or not is up to your interpretation.

Finished Kothar and the Conjurer's Curse. Next up is, gulp, Sanderson's The Way of Kings. Been a while since I've tackled a book even near that length.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases