What are you reading this year 2020?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Finished Julia Baird's Victoria: The Queen. Now reading Eric Larsen's new book The Splendid and the Vile.

Still reading Terry Pratchett's Making Money.

Still rereading Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings.

Still reading Pathfinder 2E Lost Omen's World Guide.

carrot

Explorer
nine? ugh. I'm really liking physical copies so much more than ebooks right now.....and I can't go buy more...so that will have to wait. Books 5-8 pretty much the same quality? Tell me the story is different.....at least enough I will care to read it.

To be honest, not really... The first few books were definitely the best. The writing was good enough for me to want to keep reading 5-8, but the quality of the plot distinctly starts to wane (I want to read book 9 - but mostly from a completionist pov!).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Just finished the first book in the main Elric saga. Must be the fifth time I've read these. Such a fast read. Which is interesting, given all the stuff going on in his head. The writing isn't the best.... Not on Guy Kay's level, for sure.

Richards

Legend
I just started The Secret Cases of Sherlock Holmes by Donald Thomas, a biographer with a strong historical background. The concept here is that these are actual cases that happened in real life that Holmes, were he a real person and not a fictional character, would have taken on later in life had he not retired and become a beekeeper in 1903. They're written as if by Dr. Watson but not published until 70 years after written, after everyone involved had passed on. I'm a big Holmes fan but have been a bit leery of others writing new stories; these, however, seemed interesting enough to give the book a shot.

Johnathan

Finished Conan the Freebooter. It's hard to go wrong with Black Colossus and A Witch Shall Be Born in the same collection. The great battle in Black Colossus is one of the most gripping and visceral depictions of warfare in fantasy.

Now I'm giving Andre Norton's Quag Keep a shot. I've heard mixed things about it, but considering its place in D&D history, wanted to give it a shot.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Finished Conan the Freebooter. It's hard to go wrong with Black Colossus and A Witch Shall Be Born in the same collection. The great battle in Black Colossus is one of the most gripping and visceral depictions of warfare in fantasy.

Now I'm giving Andre Norton's Quag Keep a shot. I've heard mixed things about it, but considering its place in D&D history, wanted to give it a shot.

I remember really enjoying Quag Keep back in the early 80's when I was playing D&D. But I wonder if it holds up. I just tried reading something by Andre Norton recently (Operation Time Search), and the clear racism (unconscious I hope) of the blond white guy as protagonist and the dark brutish folk and the clear asiatic villain had me putting it down.

I've had mixed results with Andre Norton - some I like, some I don't, and some have some unfortunate stereotypes.

So far, Quag Keep has a Moorcockian feel, with its talk of Law and Chaos, and the burring of identities and dimensions.

I remember really enjoying Quag Keep back in the early 80's when I was playing D&D. But I wonder if it holds up. I just tried reading something by Andre Norton recently (Operation Time Search), and the clear racism (unconscious I hope) of the blond white guy as protagonist and the dark brutish folk and the clear asiatic villain had me putting it down.

carrot

Explorer
Finally finished A Blight of Blackwings (Seven Kennings) - it was alright. I guess. I'm not sure if I'll be bothered to read any more if/when they come out.
Moved on to the Art of the Adept series by Michael G Manning. That was much much more enjoyable to read. It was complete fantasy cheese, but I couldn't put them down and finished each book in less than a day. Of course I now have to wait for the next one...

Remove ads