What are you reading this year 2020?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Started reading Terry Pratchett's Snuff.

Still reading William Tecumseh Sherman: In Service of My Country by James Lee McDonough.

Still reading Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow.

Finished reading Brandon Sanderson's Oathbringer.

Started reading Don't Burn This Book by Dave Rubin.

Nellisir

Hero
Finished the CAS thing. The extensive notes were helpful; my critiques were not in any sense new ones. CAS himself knew plots were not his strength, and he basically liked writing ornately elegant little word-pictures that masqueraded as stories.

Went to book sale; bought books. Pic below (yeesh it's big. sorry). Read Slow Bullets by Alistair Reynolds; reading Marrow by Robert Reed. (which isn't shown because I forgot to grab it.) I've been looking for Alif for years so that was nice. $48 total.

Edit: Finished Marrow. Pretty decent. It goes where you don't expect it, and the ending comes up like Mr. Reed got a note that he only had 30 more pages to finish so he kinda slammed it in there, but it moved along. 7/10. Moved on to Artemis by Andy Weir.
IMG_20200713_152709.jpg

Last edited:

I think Stephen King is finally clicking for me, after years of avoidance. I enjoyed Night Shift quite a bit. Reading it, I realized why there are so many bad Stephen King movies - much of the horror comes from the lack of resolution, the reader left to speculate, calling on the fear of the unknown. And that doesn't always translate well to the structure of a film, especially in the hands of a mediocre director.

Now I'm reading Spymaster, by Margaret Weis and Robert Krammes. Very curious to see what her contemporary work is like.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
My copy of Jim Butcher's Peace Talks showed up, and I'm rereading Skin Game to get up to speed. My wife decided on the long route and is restarting from book 1: Storm Front. I've reread the series multiple times myself.

Just finished the three Magnus Chase books from Rick Riorden and am reading the short story collect 9 for the 9 worlds (or something like that) with 9 shorts from the PoV of other characters from the Magnus Chase trilogy. It's ... not as good as the actual Magnus Chase books, which were well below the Percy Jackson books. Disappointed, but it's still readable.

Nellisir

Hero
I think Stephen King is finally clicking for me, after years of avoidance. I enjoyed Night Shift quite a bit. Reading it, I realized why there are so many bad Stephen King movies - much of the horror comes from the lack of resolution, the reader left to speculate, calling on the fear of the unknown. And that doesn't always translate well to the structure of a film, especially in the hands of a mediocre director.

The early (first 3?) short stories collections are amazing. I'm still waiting for an adaptation of "Mrs Todd's Shortcut", and while I haven't read "Ladyfingers" for 30 years, it regularly creeps me the heck out. I've read very few of his newer books, but all of his earlier stuff when I was younger.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Up to book 8 in rereading the Garrett Files by Glen Cook for the x-th time (classic hard boiled detective but in a fantasy city). First six were as great as I remember. Seven gets a bit over the top with some of the woman chasing in a few spots and there's some non-PC LGBTQ+ things in that one. Not horrific, but it stuck out).

My copy of Jim Butcher's Peace Talks showed up, and I'm rereading Skin Game to get up to speed. My wife decided on the long route and is restarting from book 1: Storm Front. I've reread the series multiple times myself.

My copy showed up today too,and i'm almost done with it. I'm gonna go back to I think Grave Peril (I think that's the book with the party) read up from there once i'm done with Peace talks.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Just finished the three Magnus Chase books from Rick Riorden and am reading the short story collect 9 for the 9 worlds (or something like that) with 9 shorts from the PoV of other characters from the Magnus Chase trilogy. It's ... not as good as the actual Magnus Chase books, which were well below the Percy Jackson books. Disappointed, but it's still readable.
I agree, the Magnus Chase books aren't as good as the Percy Jackson books, but they still are good.

ccs

41st lv DM
After all these years I've finally gotten around to reading Master & Commander (at least the 1st book of the series).
Right now I'm somewhere in Chapter 3 & it's looking to be a long slow read....

Remove ads