D&D 5E What are your biggest immersion breakers, rules wise?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It's interesting just how different experiences can be at different tables. For me, knowledge checks most often come up when a player needs more information to determine whether a potential course of action is feasible/wise. Examples:
  • Upon seeing a mercenary company insignia, and considering a plan involving distracting the mercenaries. "Does my character know whether that company has any strong rivalries with other companies, and what their rival's insignias are?"
  • Upon considering a profoundly direct method of bypassing an enemy fighting at an interior choke point. "Is my character familiar enough with the architectural style of the building to know whether this wall is structural?"
  • Upon noticing a storm system moving in and considering waiting for it to pass. "Is my character familiar enough with the weather patterns in this region to be able to make an educated guess as to how long the storm will last?"
So not only are the players at my table not trying to get access to rulebook information, they're usually asking for answers to setting questions I've not previously considered and don't (yet) have answers to.
Those are great questions! Seems like you have some very creative players. Personally though, I think 2 and 3 could be better framed as actions taken with the goal of learning the desired information. For example, rather than "Is my character familiar enough with the architectural style of the building to know whether this wall is structural?" one could say “I examine the wall for any signs of structural instability.” Instead of "Is my character familiar enough with the weather patterns in this region to be able to make an educated guess as to how long the storm will last?" one could say, “Based on what I’ve observed of the weather so far and my knowledge of weather patterns in mountainous areas, I try to make my best guess about how long this storm might last.” Those are action declarations I can resolve by my usual process of evaluating for possibility of success, possibility of failure, and consequences for failure, calling for an appropriate check if it has all three, and narrating the results.

The question about rival mercenary companies and their insignias is a bit trickier, as there’s not much the characters can do in the moment to try and learn that. They could probably do some research to find out, but assuming they need that information pretty immediately for it to be useful, there’s not much they can actively do to gain it. So this is a case where “does my character know/remember” is pretty appropriate to ask. In this case, if the mercenaries did have rivals, I would look to the characters proficiencies and backgrounds to see if it makes sense for them to know about these rivals. A mercenary or military background would probably do the trick, and then I would just give them that information freely.

That's a cool system. Ironically enough, however, I would personally find it extremely immersion-wrecking. For me immersion requires the game world to feel like a real place, and being able to readily see that the new complication that just arose was added as the result of a bad die roll on the tension dice would work against. Oddly enough, I'd have no problem with the DM just deciding to add a new complication because they think it would be fun, as long as it was presented seemlessly with the rest of the world--it's seeing the tension mechanic in action (or knowing it was in use) that would cause the problem for me.

I feel the same way about wandering monsters. I'm totally fine with using dice to abstractly determine whether an existing monster in the area happens to wander by as it goes about its business. And I'm also totally fine with the DM choosing to add a new monster without rolling any dice at all (again assuming the revision was seemless). But fighting a monster that I know wouldn't even exist in the game world but for a bad roll on a wandering monster check makes the game world seem less real to me.
Interesting. So it sounds like you’re ok with the random determination of complications such as wandering monsters, so long as the system is kept under the hood? Or am I misunderstanding? For me, a random encounter is a random encounter, whether the DM rolled the dice behind the screen or explained to me the exact system they were using and showed me every step of the process. In fact, it helps me to know that there is a system in place, because it reassures me that the fictional world functions on a set of logically consistent rules rather than the whims of its creator. A system I can learn to understand and make predictions about, where the DM’s whims may be completely arbitrary.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Those are great questions! Seems like you have some very creative players. Personally though, I think 2 and 3 could be better framed as actions taken with the goal of learning the desired information. For example, rather than "Is my character familiar enough with the architectural style of the building to know whether this wall is structural?" one could say “I examine the wall for any signs of structural instability.”

That is something of a different question, though. One gets at what they know and the other at what they can observe now. Plus, since a fight‘s going on, searching for a weakness takes an action. I really dislike the concept of testing knowledge with an action.

I’m also not that keen on searching checks finding things that didn‘t already exist, like a structural flaw. I’d much rather go the route of the creative player relying on their character’s knowledge and then making the flaw that brings part of the structure down.

Charlaquin

That is something of a different question, though. One gets at what they know and the other at what they can observe now. Plus, since a fight‘s going on, searching for a weakness takes an action. I really dislike the concept of testing knowledge with an action.
Its not testing knowledge with an action. It’s using an action to gain new knowledge. If it was knowledge you already had, it wouldn’t take an action, and therefore wouldn’t require a check (since checks are a tool for resolving uncertainty in the outcomes of actions.) If the structural integrity of the wall was something you should have been able to know without having to take an action to learn it (for example, if you were a dwarf with Stonecunning), I would have included that information in my description of the environment.

I’m also not that keen on searching checks finding things that didn‘t already exist, like a structural flaw.
Oh, neither am I. Which is why, if a structural flaw didn’t exist, searching for one would result in not finding one would not have an uncertain outcome, and would therefore not require a check to resolve. You just fail to find any structural flaws (because none exist).

I’d much rather go the route of the creative player relying on their character’s knowledge and then making the flaw that brings part of the structure down.
I don’t see any meaningful difference between making a flaw that didn’t already exist as a result of a knowledge check vs. making it with the result of a search check. Either way the DM is inventing new features of the environment on the fly based on the results of checks the players are making, rather than describing the environment thoroughly and calling for checks to resolve the outcomes of actions the players describe. Either way, I’m not keen on the idea.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I don’t see any meaningful difference between making a flaw that didn’t already exist as a result of a knowledge check vs. making it with the result of a search check. Either way the DM is inventing new features of the environment on the fly based on the results of checks the players are making, rather than describing the environment thoroughly and calling for checks to resolve the outcomes of actions the players describe. Either way, I’m not keen on the idea.

No, you misunderstand. The character tests his knowledge to determine that it is a weak point and then takes an action to undermine it. That's what I meant about making a flaw. Directly taking action to add one by hammering away at the structural integrity of the building.

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
Those are great questions! Seems like you have some very creative players. Personally though, I think 2 and 3 could be better framed as actions taken with the goal of learning the desired information. For example, rather than "Is my character familiar enough with the architectural style of the building to know whether this wall is structural?" one could say “I examine the wall for any signs of structural instability.” Instead of "Is my character familiar enough with the weather patterns in this region to be able to make an educated guess as to how long the storm will last?" one could say, “Based on what I’ve observed of the weather so far and my knowledge of weather patterns in mountainous areas, I try to make my best guess about how long this storm might last.” Those are action declarations I can resolve by my usual process of evaluating for possibility of success, possibility of failure, and consequences for failure, calling for an appropriate check if it has all three, and narrating the results.

The question about rival mercenary companies and their insignias is a bit trickier, as there’s not much the characters can do in the moment to try and learn that. They could probably do some research to find out, but assuming they need that information pretty immediately for it to be useful, there’s not much they can actively do to gain it. So this is a case where “does my character know/remember” is pretty appropriate to ask. In this case, if the mercenaries did have rivals, I would look to the characters proficiencies and backgrounds to see if it makes sense for them to know about these rivals. A mercenary or military background would probably do the trick, and then I would just give them that information freely.

There's definitely room for multiple approaches to the examples I gave. For context, I personally see #2 as closer to #1, in the sense that knowing if a wall is structural (i.e. whether it is load-bearing and thus likely too strong to just burst through, or a non-structural room divider that isn't much of an obstacle) may depend more on knowledge of the construction techniques and materials in use, rather than observation of a specific wall. Any sort of panelling or wall covering (in a modern building, plaster or drywall) will often make structural and non-structural walls visually indistinguishable. Even without wall coverings, telling the difference between (e.g.) a divider of stacked mud bricks (that might be burst through with a good run) and something like adobe construction (like running into concrete) is something I think depends more on knowledge than observation.

As a player I'd be fine with your preferred approach to #2, as long as you still let the check be Intelligence (History) rather than requiring it to be Wisdom (Perception). Although if you required examining the wall to take an action I'd just skip the idea entirely: trying to burst through the wall is likely to be an action already, and spending two actions on an off-the-wall (or rather through-the-wall) plan to gain a tactical advantage is rarely worth the lost damage potential.

For #1 and #3 I see our approaches as functionally equivalent from the player's perspective.

If the structural integrity of the wall was something you should have been able to know without having to take an action to learn it (for example, if you were a dwarf with Stonecunning), I would have included that information in my description of the environment.

Very impressive! Until the above example came up in play I'd never even considered including that much architectural detail in my descriptions. Even now I don't include it as a regular practice, because it's come up exactly the once. I still usually don't even decide ahead of time about which walls are structural and which are room dividers, so I wouldn't have that much detail to give up front. (Also, I sometimes fear I give too much detail in my descriptions already, so even if I knew which walls were structural I'd probably not prioritize that information and end up leaving it out of my up-front drecription)

Interesting. So it sounds like you’re ok with the random determination of complications such as wandering monsters, so long as the system is kept under the hood? Or am I misunderstanding? For me, a random encounter is a random encounter, whether the DM rolled the dice behind the screen or explained to me the exact system they were using and showed me every step of the process. In fact, it helps me to know that there is a system in place, because it reassures me that the fictional world functions on a set of logically consistent rules rather than the whims of its creator. A system I can learn to understand and make predictions about, where the DM’s whims may be completely arbitrary.

Generally-speaking, yes: all else equal I prefer that any highly-abstract mechanics with world-building implications be kept under the hood. If there are going to be checks that create new monsters where none existed before, I'd rather not know about it at the table. (Especially if the PCs had done their legwork and figured out IC the number of opponents in advance.) By constrast, if the PCs know an enemy patrol exists and have taken steps to avoid it, I'm totally fine with the DM ruling that the PCs' efforts reduce (but not eliminate) the odds of encountering the patrol, deciding there is an X% chance of the encounter an rolls openly. To me that's probabilistically modeling an uncertainty in the game world, rather that abstractly rewriting the game world.

An example of the other extreme would be a table where, when exploring a dungeon, every X minutes there is a Y% chance of new monsters spawning into the game world and attacking the PCs. That wouldn't be immersive for me at all. It's not quite as bad if the monsters are moved rather than created (so fighting them now means less to fight later), and if X and Y are tailored to the environment and PCs' and monsters' actions rather than being constant.

Ultimately immersion for me requires that the in-game world makes sense. So long as it's plausible that monsters are here, now, then great. Anything that undermines that plausiblity (like causally linking the existence of the monsters to the OOC accumulation of tension dice) I don't want to know about. The flip side of this is that as if it can be made to feel organic, I'm totally fine with the DM noticing that the players are losing focus and adding in an unplanned combat to refocus the game.

Charlaquin

No, you misunderstand. The character tests his knowledge to determine that it is a weak point and then takes an action to undermine it. That's what I meant about making a flaw. Directly taking action to add one by hammering away at the structural integrity of the building.
Oh, I see. Yeah, that sounds awesome. I would definitely allow the players to take action to try to destabilize the structure of the wall and try to make it collapse. I don’t see that as requiring any knowledge check beforehand. I would allow a character with Proficiency in Mason’s Tools or Stonecunning to apply their proficiency bonus (or double it, in stonecunning’s case) to the check, if one was necessary. That, to my mind, is sufficient mechanical expression of their relevant architectural knowledge applying to the situation.

Charlaquin

There's definitely room for multiple approaches to the examples I gave. For context, I personally see #2 as closer to #1, in the sense that knowing if a wall is structural (i.e. whether it is load-bearing and thus likely too strong to just burst through, or a non-structural room divider that isn't much of an obstacle) may depend more on knowledge of the construction techniques and materials in use, rather than observation of a specific wall. Any sort of panelling or wall covering (in a modern building, plaster or drywall) will often make structural and non-structural walls visually indistinguishable. Even without wall coverings, telling the difference between (e.g.) a divider of stacked mud bricks (that might be burst through with a good run) and something like adobe construction (like running into concrete) is something I think depends more on knowledge than observation.
Ahh, gotcha. See, my understanding of architecture is little enough that I would not have thought about that. Heck, I had assumed by “structural” you meant “structurally sound” rather than asking about whether it was load-bearing.

One of my core conceits as a DM who asks players to describe their actions in terms of goal and approach is that I recognize they are probably not experts on many of the things their characters are, and neither am I. I don’t really know that much about architecture, or locksmithy, or engineering, or whatever, so I don’t expect a high degree of technical specificity in action declaration. It is ok to leave the details abstracted, as long as I can tell generally what you want to accomplish and how. So, I would encourage the player, rather than asking about their character’s knowledge of architecture and whether they would recognize if the wall is structural before attempting an action to try to bring it down on their enemies, just tell me what you want to accomplish and how your character goes about it generally. “I want to bring this section of tunnel down on our enemies. Can I do that by applying my knowledge of masonry and smashing key sections of wall?” is a beautiful action declaration.

As a player I'd be fine with your preferred approach to #2, as long as you still let the check be Intelligence (History) rather than requiring it to be Wisdom (Perception).
So, what I do is I just call for ability checks. I never ask for an ability (skill) combination, instead leaving it to the player to suggest if they think one of their proficiencies would be applicable, whether it’s normally tied to the ability in question or not. So, if you’re examining the wall for structural integrity, I would probably ask for a Wisdom check rather than Intelligence, but you could absolutely suggest that your History proficiency apply, citing your knowledge of historical architectural styles helping you determine which walls would most likely be structural in this style of building. I might even say, “oh, in that case roll Intelligence rather than Wisdom” if that felt more appropriate to your approach.

Although if you required examining the wall to take an action I'd just skip the idea entirely: trying to burst through the wall is likely to be an action already, and spending two actions on an off-the-wall (or rather through-the-wall) plan to gain a tactical advantage is rarely worth the lost damage potential.
Nah, I wouldn’t have that use up your action in combat, for precisely this reason.

For #1 and #3 I see our approaches as functionally equivalent from the player's perspective.
What I see as the difference between our approaches to 3 is that in your approach the player is asking the DM if their character has certain knowledge and if they do, to leverage it to achieve a desired goal, whereas in my approach, they are declaring that they have this knowledge and intend to apply it to achieve a desired goal. Perhaps a subtle distinction, but I think an important one as I believe my approach maintains a better flow of the basic pattern of play. Ideally, in my view, the pattern of play should stick as close as possible to what is described in How To Play:

1. The DM describes the environment
2. The players describe what their characters do.
3. The DM describes the results of the characters’ actions, then starts the process over from 1.

Players asking questions does not fit this pattern, and interrupts its flow, so should be kept to a minimum. Ideally, the players would never need to ask questions, but communication being imperfect, it is sometimes necessary for players to ask clarifying questions about the description. Otherwise, I favor declaration of action with the goal of learning what more you want to know, rather than asking if you know it.

As an aside, another thing that interrupts this pattern is making checks. This is why I prefer only to call for checks to resolve the outcomes of actions that are both uncertain and have direct consequences for failure. Rolling dice, adding up bonuses, and comparing the results to a DC all interrupts the flow of play, and so I endeavor to keep that to a minimum.

Very impressive! Until the above example came up in play I'd never even considered including that much architectural detail in my descriptions. Even now I don't include it as a regular practice, because it's come up exactly the once. I still usually don't even decide ahead of time about which walls are structural and which are room dividers, so I wouldn't have that much detail to give up front. (Also, I sometimes fear I give too much detail in my descriptions already, so even if I knew which walls were structural I'd probably not prioritize that information and end up leaving it out of my up-front drecription)
Ahh, I think I have not made myself clear. I definitely don’t decide ahead of time which walls in a dungeon are structural. As mentioned earlier, I am no architect, and would have no idea how to do this justice. Rather, I meant to express that, if I had planned as part of an encounter for the underlying structure of the dungeon to be relevant - for example, if I planned to use its potential collapse as a hazard, or for the monsters to use this tactic against the players, or something along those lines, I would telegraph that in the description. I was also speaking hypothetically, as I can’t say that’s something I’ve ever done, at least not that I remember. But yeah, if the players come up with the idea to try to bring the tunnel down on their enemies, I would prefer they just assert that they want to apply their character’s architectural knowledge to damage the walls in the appropriate places to compromise structural integrity, rather than asking me if their character knows which spots those might be first.

Generally-speaking, yes: all else equal I prefer that any highly-abstract mechanics with world-building implications be kept under the hood. If there are going to be checks that create new monsters where none existed before, I'd rather not know about it at the table. (Especially if the PCs had done their legwork and figured out IC the number of opponents in advance.) By constrast, if the PCs know an enemy patrol exists and have taken steps to avoid it, I'm totally fine with the DM ruling that the PCs' efforts reduce (but not eliminate) the odds of encountering the patrol, deciding there is an X% chance of the encounter an rolls openly. To me that's probabilistically modeling an uncertainty in the game world, rather that abstractly rewriting the game world.
Interesting. I guess where my perspective differs is in the idea that a randomly triggered encounter or complication is “created” where it hadn’t existed before. In theory, any such randomly triggered event is one that should be possible in the context it occurs in. There are rats in the dungeon, so randomly determining that the party encounters a pack of rats doesn’t seem to me like creating rats where they didn’t exist before, it’s just randomly determining when and if the characters come across the rats that definitively exist there.

If it helps, I tailor my complication tables to the locations where they are going to be used. I’m not just rolling on a generic random encounter table, and I may not even roll to determine the encounter at all. Rather, I’ll have a list of complications that are appropriate to the dungeon, and when the tension pool indicates that a complication should occur, I will choose a complication I feel is most appropriate to the current context. Maybe I’ll use a dice roll if there are many equally-appropriate options. But to my mind I’m certainly not creating events at random, I’m randomly determining when events that are likely to occur in this dungeon do so.

An example of the other extreme would be a table where, when exploring a dungeon, every X minutes there is a Y% chance of new monsters spawning into the game world and attacking the PCs. That wouldn't be immersive for me at all. It's not quite as bad if the monsters are moved rather than created (so fighting them now means less to fight later), and if X and Y are tailored to the environment and PCs' and monsters' actions rather than being constant.
I think I get it. It sounds to me like what you want is for those random encounters to be drawn from the ranks of the dungeon’s inhabitants, such that if you encounter 3 wandering Kobolds now, there are 3 fewer Kobolds in the barracks when you get there later. A lot of old-school dungeons worked that way. That I can totally understand, although to me it seems like there’s no way as a player you would be able to tell the difference.

Ultimately immersion for me requires that the in-game world makes sense. So long as it's plausible that monsters are here, now, then great. Anything that undermines that plausiblity (like causally linking the existence of the monsters to the OOC accumulation of tension dice) I don't want to know about. The flip side of this is that as if it can be made to feel organic, I'm totally fine with the DM noticing that the players are losing focus and adding in an unplanned combat to refocus the game.
Where you’re losing me is with the implicit assumption that because the tension pool was used to determine when an encounter happened, that the tension pool must have been used to determine whether or not the creatures involved in the encounter exist. Clearly those creatures must exist in the dungeon, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to encounter them there.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Worth pointing out the issue with Knowledge checks and unfamiliar holy symbols is largely an issue because the same fairly small set of gods is generally worshipped across the entire campaign world-- so all the characters should always recognize all of them, as a matter of cultural immersion that all the players don't have.

Like maybe you need to make a Religion check to know what the Cross and the Crescent mean, but everyone knows who they belong to.

It's actually one of the immersion breakers for me in D&D.... the weird-ass way it handles polytheism and competing religions.

Oofta

Legend
Worth pointing out the issue with Knowledge checks and unfamiliar holy symbols is largely an issue because the same fairly small set of gods is generally worshipped across the entire campaign world-- so all the characters should always recognize all of them, as a matter of cultural immersion that all the players don't have.

Like maybe you need to make a Religion check to know what the Cross and the Crescent mean, but everyone knows who they belong to.

It's actually one of the immersion breakers for me in D&D.... the weird-ass way it handles polytheism and competing religions.
Which is why I ask for them myself in my campaign. Not only are there multiple religions, there are also religions that have faded away.

So while many people probably recognize an ankh, do they really know what it means? The history or how it was used? What about a jackal's head?

Anyway, in my campaign unless it's common knowledge for the background or we've established a connection, it's uncertain whether or not anyone recognizes a specific symbol. Uncertainty in my game is resolved by rolling dice and applying appropriate modifiers.

Charlaquin

Which is why I ask for them myself in my campaign. Not only are there multiple religions, there are also religions that have faded away.

So while many people probably recognize an ankh, do they really know what it means? The history or how it was used? What about a jackal's head?

Anyway, in my campaign unless it's common knowledge for the background or we've established a connection, it's uncertain whether or not anyone recognizes a specific symbol. Uncertainty in my game is resolved by rolling dice and applying appropriate modifiers.
For what it’s worth, I think this is consistent with the design intent. I consider my own method of handling lore recollection a house rule - an intentional departure from the rules as written to resolve a specific issue I have with the flow of gameplay when using this, more standard method.

Remove ads