D&D 5E What are your favorite third party (including 'amateur' homebrew) classes and subclasses?

What the title says, but it'd be really nice if you could give a few reasons as to why this class or that subclass is really great.
I'm particularly interested in the Warlord-concept, but really, any concept will do.

Ultimately, it could be great to add the recommended classes to the wiki.

Rellott

Explorer
The Noble class published by EN5ider has a good warlord feel to it. I’m playing a tactician Noble and love it.
EN5ider has put out a number of classes and archetypes over the years. Some of the classes I like more than others. The Noble is definitely my favorite, and the cardcaster, fatebender, and savant seem cool, while I could take a pass on all the evil/edgy classes like diabolist and blood weaver.

Mage Hand Press (aka Middle Finger of Vecna) makes amazing classes and archetypes. Too many archetypes to list, but some of my favorites among their classes include:
-warmage: the cantrip slinging warrior
-craftsman: build a better everything
-warden: the tankiest tank
-witch: debuff, the class
-gunslinger: what it sounds like

Kobold Press has a ton of awesome archetypes in their material, with the largest concentration found in their Midgard Heroes Handbook.

Ben Huffman (aka Sterling Vermin) makes some good classes, too. I love his pugilist and scholar, and am interested to try out his magus sometime.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Seconded on MHP. They put out a lot of stuff, including whole settings, but their "Complete Class" books are great. I've been playing a warmage for over a year and I love the class.

Sterling Vermin's classes are all very good. I've played the magus, and have a player running one in another of my games, and it fills that "arcane half-caster" niche very nicely.

And, since I've mentioned them several times on these forums in other topics, I have to mention Kibblestasty's classes (the Artificer, Psion, and Warlord) as probably the single best homebrew I've seen. (KibblesTasty Homebrew)

I've pulled several good classes and subclasses from Reddit's Unearthed Arcana subreddit, but a particular favorite of mine is SwEcky's three class revisions (Alpha Druid, Omega Warlock, and Delta Ranger) which do a very nice job sanding down some of the rough edges of those classes and creating some new flavored subclasses for them.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
This isn't a plug, but I really do love EN's Savant class. I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan and it scratches that itch pretty well. I also quite like the Mistwalker class that was reviewed a couple of days ago on the forums here. Not actually as-is, but it's a dead sexy platform to reskin into a Shadow Walker type, which is a favorite concept of mine.

Weiley31

Legend
The Noble class published by EN5ider
I do like the Noble. Especially with how the Noble of the Heart Subclass allows you to trade in ALL of your levels from the pacifist Heart Noble and into one of the combative types. PERFECT for a story plot development where the character shows "growth" theme wise.

I'll be honest though, I house rule it to have a D8 Hit Die instead of a D6.
Shrugs

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I do like the Noble. Especially with how the Noble of the Heart Subclass allows you to trade in ALL of your levels from the pacifist Heart Noble and into one of the combative types. PERFECT for a story plot development where the character shows "growth" theme wise.

I'll be honest though, I house rule it to have a D8 Hit Die instead of a D6.
Shrugs
I played a Heart Noble for about 5 sessions a few years back. Fun to play, but I did get squished, so I'm all for a d8. :)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Two that I would really love to play sometime are the Coffee Domain cleric, particularly this one:

... and the Way of the Gentleman monk, inspired by Kingsman:

(Note: needs Chrome to see the whole thing properly.)

Last edited:

Rellott

Explorer
Two that I would really love to play sometime are the Coffee Domain cleric, particularly this one:

I haven’t seen that one, but Mage Hand Press made a coffee domain cleric, too. Now I have to compare them!

The Noble class published by EN5ider has a good warlord feel to it. I’m playing a tactician Noble and love it.
EN5ider has put out a number of classes and archetypes over the years. Some of the classes I like more than others. The Noble is definitely my favorite, and the cardcaster, fatebender, and savant seem cool, while I could take a pass on all the evil/edgy classes like diabolist and blood weaver.

For the upcoming ZEITGEIST setting book, I wanted to include two new subclasses for each of the setting's seven regions, which fit well with twelve core classes plus the Noble and Savant from EN5ider.

It's a few months before we release, but I hope these classes might interest you:
  • Barbarian – Queen Bee Lodge. A courteous secret society whose members all connect to a hivemind that lets them control their rage.
  • Bard – College of Vagabonds. Students of this roaming camp learn tales and spells about travel.
  • Cleric – Potential Domain. Though made up of worshipers of many gods, the Clergy’s foundational belief is that every person has the potential to perfect themselves and ascend to divinity.
  • Druid – Axis Circle. An ancient sect that taps the power of nature from alien worlds.
  • Fighter – Gadgeteer. Tinkerers who know just enough alchemy and mechanics to assemble a suite of personal gadgets for use in combat.
  • Monk – Way of the Gun. Ascetics committed to wedding body to weapon have embraced the gun as a symbol that their traditions are still pertinent in the modern day.
  • Noble – Path of the Enclave. A leader who learns to bond with an area, to shield those within and control who can come and go.
  • Paladin – Oath of Liberty. A traditionally all-female assembly of wandering liberators who savagely punish those who enslave or oppress.
  • Ranger – Conclave of the Titan. Warriors who draw upon the power of one of Risur’s fey titans.
  • Rogue – Occult Blade. Psychic thieves who steal their victims’ memories of being attacked.
  • Savant – Vox. Clever speakers who learn to influence minds with the subtle power of their voice.
  • Sorcerer – Gyre Bloodline. The near-destruction of the world granted scattered individuals powers of entropy and annihilation.
  • Warlock – Genius Loci Pact. Form a bond with a particular city, and enjoy the benefits of urban life no matter where you travel.
  • Wizard – School of Ravencraft. A mob of witches and scoundrels who steal magic and purvey curses.

Remove ads