What are your five post-apocalyptic RPG books?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Probably…

1) HERO 4th
2) HERO 4th Ultimate Martial Artist
3) Space:1889
4) Paranoia
5) Traveler

The logic? With the first 2, I can run a simulation of nearly any setting I can remember or imagine. The last 3 have reasonably distinctive settings I’d love to be as faithful to as I could be If running them in HERO, but would also be good to run in their native system. If this list were expanded, I‘d add the core books for games like Deadlands, Underground, RIFTS, Shadowrun, etc., with the same motivation.

I also might change the list to a set of key HERO 5th books, with a shorter list fr9m the other games.

Richards

Legend
I'd probably go with:
  1. 3.5 Player's Handbook
  2. 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide
  3. 3.5 Monster Manual
  4. Manual of the Planes
  5. Libris Mortis
It's a shame I'd have to give up the other Monster Manuals, environment books (Frostburn, etc.), and monster-themed books (Lords of Madness, etc.) but beyond the core three, I probably have gotten the most use out of Manual of the Planes and Libris Mortis.

Johnathan

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
How close to the apocalyptic event need the setting be? If it can be long after than, then some of my fondest memories are with:

1. Gamma World (back in the 80s)

2. Mutant Crawl Classics (last few years)

kronovan

Adventurer
I would want books that could cover a number of genres, so...

1) 13th Age
2) Savage Worlds Adventure Edition
3) Mongoose Traveller 2e
4) Call of Cthulhu 7e (I'm cheating here, because I can't see running Cthulhu adventures without both the Keeper and Investigator Handbooks)
5) FATE Core

Argyle King

Legend
GURPS 4th Edition Basic Set
Edge of the Empire

Hmm... after that, I'm not really sure. I might use the other slots for supplements. With those two, I can cover most things I would want. Funny enough, some of the GURPS books may be valuable for survival info.

Beyond that, anything else is gravy

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
4) Call of Cthulhu 7e (I'm cheating here, because I can't see running Cthulhu adventures without both the Keeper and Investigator Handbooks)
I'm curious, as a keeper myself and owner of the Investigator Handbook as well, what do you find essential about the Investigator Handbook? I find it extremely unessential if you own the Keeper book. It's a nice cheaper resource to have during character creation, in my experience, but that's about the most use I've gotten out of it.

Remove ads