• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 What are your "Houserules" for 3.5?

I just made the big switch over to 3.5 and I found a a few "broken" combos because I am still using 3.0 supplemental 'splat book' material (and I am playing in FR with those supplemental materials).
HOUSE RULES:
SPELLS & MAGIC ITEMS
—3.0 supplemental material magical item market values may need recalculation to the 3.5 system (case by case basis)
—epic magic items are considered minor artifacts
call lightning, eyebite and Otiluke’s freezing sphere spells: acceptable to use 3.5 version or 3.0 version (players choice)
fanfare has a Fortitude save negates on the stunning portion
improvisation bonuses are competence bonuses, and have the same limitations as moment of prescience (with a +20 max bonus at 20th level), and cannot be used in conjunction with the required perform check as a part of using some bardic music abilities
miasma has a Fortitude save negates
polar ray does d8s for damage (25d8 maximum)
summon monster & summon nature’s ally : in addition to the PHB charts, you can summon creatures based on CR according to Dragon Magazine 302, p25 (subject to DM approval)
thunder swarm functions like the 3.5 version of meteor swarm except it has no impact damage associated with it.
I have one other houserule I'd like to use but I wouldn't use it unless the players agreed as well.
DAMAGE REDUCTION (VARIANT)
—DR magic: magic weapons ignore 5 points of magic DR per +1 enhancement ([Monk’s level+2]/6 = effective enhancement)
—DR epic: epic weapons ignore 5 points of epic DR per +1 enhancement above +5
All in all, its a short list which have little effect on overall game play. Most of the "house rules" the players will never even notice.
The WotC official PDF updates have taken care of most of my concerns.

I want to keep game balance yet I also want people to be able to take advantage of all their supplemental 3.0 material. Most of the biggest nerf's 3.5 took care of so I didn't have to (thank goodness for harm & haste & heal changes).

What is everyone elses "house rules"?

Your Immortal DM

PS - things like 3.5 shapechange I don't have to worry about cause I don't plan on letting 17th level wizards become 'familar' with Gibbering Orbs. Just because a player can read up on the latest MM doesn't mean the PC wizard knows all about the creatures...

Last edited:

Remove ads