• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are your player traits and incentives? (from DMG II)

What are your player traits and motiviations?

• Accumulating Cool Powers

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • Kicking Butt

Votes: 93 52.5%
  • Brilliant Planning

Votes: 78 44.1%
  • Puzzle Solving

Votes: 49 27.7%
  • Playing a Favorite Role

Votes: 65 36.7%
  • Supercoolness

Votes: 33 18.6%
  • Story

Votes: 114 64.4%
  • Psychodrama

Votes: 43 24.3%
  • Irresponsibility

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • Setting Exploration

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • The Outlier

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Lurker

Votes: 12 6.8%

Edit -- please vote regarding your personal player traits, not the traits of other players.

The Dungeon Master's Guide II has a section (p. 8 ff.) on Player Traits and Incentives -- "particular emotional impulses that give your players a sense of reward." I thought it would be interesting to see how the people of EN World rate themselves.

Brief explanation of each:

Accumulating Cool Powers -- appeals to one of the most reliable human motivators: ambition; "power-gamers".

Kicking Butt -- the simplest, most primal fantasy of vented frustration: laying a thrashing on a horde of deserving bad guys.

Brilliant Planning -- hope to be rewarded for clever, careful play, in which the group gains maximum advantage while exposing itself to minimum risk; [often] historical or military buffs.

Puzzle Solving -- not only the opportunity to demonstrate one's cleverness, but also our deeply rooted impulse to make patterns out of apparent randomness. ["Puzzles" also encompass mystery stories, here.]

Playing a Favorite Role -- many players like to play the same type of character over and over.

Supercoolness -- the fantasy of being icy cool and in command [like James Bond].

Story -- the game is like a movie or television show, but one in which they're taking part in the story.

Psychodrama -- want to explore the psychology of their characters from the inside out.

Irresponsibility -- fantasize about being able to flout authority and live by their own rules.

Setting Exploration -- linger in fascination over large-scale maps; chomp at the bit to head off to the far corners of the world.

The Outlier -- get their charge by subverting [the typical PC group] dynamic; revel in being different; love to play oddballs.

Lurker -- show up and participate to a degree, but don't distinguish themselves; might attend your games chiefly because the rest of their friends are there.

Last edited:

reveal

Adventurer
I'm glad my group isn't much different than everyone elses. My three picks are the top vote-getters so far. :)

Chiaroscuro23

First Post
EricNoah said:
After 10 voters, "Kicking Butt" is winning by 1 point. I think the message is clear!

I voted based on my group rather than myself; hence my vote for "lurker" as well as others.

But nonetheless, I agree wholeheartedly that this poll is completely accurate and representative. Kicking Butt rules!

;)

-C.

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
This does not have my main reason for roleplaying:

I like to watch my character grow and have an impact on the game world.

It is close to the "Cool Powers" option, but not quite. In D&D like to see my charcter start off as a lowly pleeb, and work his way up in the socio-economic structure of the game world until he is a "Person of Importance".

Remove ads