D&D 5E What are your tips for making mobs/swarms interesting?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm running a mega dungeons where not infrequently, the parties will run into a large number of baddies. E.g. giant rats, fire crabs, and even goblins. Also, swarms of rats, bats, and insects.

As I DM I've been finding the mobs a slog to run and the swarms boring.

I could treat a large number of rats, for example, as a swarm, with jacked up stats, but then you loose the chaos and uncertainty of having attacks happen throughout the initiative order. I've also tried to using the mob-combat rules in the DMG. The mob rules are good because they give a certain number of hits per turn, saving on lots of roles and ensuring that a mob is a threat even to characters with high ACs. But having all the creatures act on the same turn changes player strategy in a way that makes the combat more boring.

Similarly, I hat how swarms generally have a single attack, making them a danger to a single player at a time. The solution to that is multiple swarms, so, fine. But then many swarm attacks have trouble hitting high armor classes, which is not a reasonable result. Why would a swarm of tiny insects be hindered by platemail? If anything, having a lot of armor would be worse as you can easily shake out the creatures or swat at the creatures that got below your armor.

For mobs, I've gone to using tools to handle large numbers of combatants so they can attack throughout the initiative order. I've used Hero Lab, but now use Improved Initiative. But but I miss the auto hit rules of mob combat. I'm thinking that when there are a large number of combatants, I can have members choose to attack on a lower initiative order until there are enough attackers for an auto hit and they will continue to act together on the same round. That gives the sense of a character truly being ganged up on. So, their may be the chaos rush of, say, goblins, but they will start to cluster together around individual PCs.

For swarms, I've thought that in addition to using a sufficient number of swarms to create a large enough swarm to threaten the whole party and have multi attacks that I would add some special abilities for tiny creatures. First, I'm thinking that tiny creatures can ignore worn armor. Natural armor, or magic armor like mages armor, or bark skin would have full effect, but plate mail, magical or now, would offer no protection against a swarm of ants, bees, spiders, etc. Further, anyone in plate, or chain, will have disadvantage on attacks against the swarm attacking them unless they doff their armor.

Maybe that seems unbalanced, but it would make swarms worthy of fear and more interesting.

Other things to make mobs and swarms more interesting and challenging:

• Give disadvantage to perception checks when engaged in combat with mobs or swarms

• Make communication among the party more difficult with din of a mob battle or the noise of a swarm. If you want to yell or hand-signal a command to another player, you have to make a CHA (performance) check to make your message heard/seen and understood. It would still be a free action. If in a swarm of tiny creatures, make a saving throw or have your mouth filled with the creatures and take a level of exhaustion as you choke on them (or if that's to harsh, a disadvantage on all attacks, skill checks, or saves for the next round.

I'd be interested in learning other tips for running mobs and swarms in 5e.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I've never found any intense number of combatants interesting since they're just a bunch of damage bags. I use them sparingly. Basically, they're a tool not a whole encounter subject. (Bare with me I'm on mobile)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
For some swarms (ex: army ants or killer bees) add a note "Any creature who is in this swarm's space takes 1d4* HP at the beginning of its turn". This simulates all the aggressive insects seeking out even small points of entry / weakness.

* pick a small number that seems appropriate

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I 2nd making them a hazard.

Give them unique properties. Have PCs make saving throws while in their area against damage and effets rather than having them attack.

Have players come up with solutions for navigating or solving the hazard rather than treating it as a fight.

J-H

Hero
Following this thread. Snake swarms have not proven to be very threatening due to the all-or-nothing attack rolls.
A cheap fix would be giving Advantage on attacking anyone in their space, but that may still not be enough.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
For some swarms (ex: army ants or killer bees) add a note "Any creature who is in this swarm's space takes 1d4* HP at the beginning of its turn". This simulates all the aggressive insects seeking out even small points of entry / weakness.

* pick a small number that seems appropriate

Okay, this makes sense and fits with mechanics already used with AOE spells like spirit guardians. I like this. It creates a running away from a swarm of bees scene.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I 2nd making them a hazard.

Give them unique properties. Have PCs make saving throws while in their area against damage and effets rather than having them attack.

Have players come up with solutions for navigating or solving the hazard rather than treating it as a fight.
This and I was thinking you can still have periodic attack like effects give it different initiative each round.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I like Swarms as Army units and Mobs. One could design them so they have a Ringleader or Captain killing that might accelerate the disbanding/defeating of the Swarm greatly (perhaps could be a critical hit effect or something players could notice) the swarm might also frenzy before disbanding. Soldiers losing even 1/4 of their members are likely to cut and run so hit points are based not on potential full member size.

With swarms larger than M, I give them one attack against every target inside the swarm.

I once had a huge swarm of snakes that I gave an opportunity attack against anyone who moved whilst within the swarm. That proved pretty lethal as it occupied most of the room.

I also created this:

Attachments

• Swarm of Iridescent Butterfey.pdf
    214.8 KB · Views: 304

Remove ads