• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What are your weirdest parties?

HammerMan

Legend
Okay, so in talking about mixing races and classes we got some talk about tiefling druids and orc wizards...

what (in any edition) was your weirdest party composed of?

back in 2e all I saw where humans elf and half elf with a 1 in 100 chance of a hafling

in 3e we started game 1 with a troglodyte a teifling and a aasimar (we all wanted to try Level adjustment)
aso in 3e we had a drow half fiend half dragon that started at like level 1 (level adjustment) sorcerer in like a 7th or 8th level game... that was weird.

I'm in one game with a kenku, an owlfolk, a dragonborn and a warforged. The dragonborn is the most 'normal' by the standards of the setting.

But aside from games where everyone picks an odd race - the all-bard party was the actually weirdest group. The dynamic was rather different when everyone's support. We were a heavy metal band.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Sometimes it only takes one. We had a halfling ninja who used a sandtube as a weapon. The character was wildly ineffective (PF1) so it was a constant running joke.

Richards

Legend
Of my two current campaigns, one has a gnome cleric, a human sorceress, a dwarf barbarian, a dwarf fighter/psychic warrior, and a lizardfolk barbarian/fighter. The other has a human fighter/wizard, a human bard/rogue, a dwarf cleric, an elf sorcerer, and a half-orc cleric/paladin. That last campaign's kind of weird in that all five PCs are spellcasters of one type or another, the first time that's happened in any of my campaigns.

A prior campaign was somewhat odd in that the party's "tank" was a gnome fighter who rode a jackalope into battle.

Johnathan

Back in distant memory of 2E we had stuff like a Goblin Fighter, a Lizardman Cleric and some kind of wacky elf subrace Wizard subclass, none of whom was particularly good at their job inherently lol, but it worked, and honestly that was the tip of the 2E iceberg.

Most 2E parties were a pile of Elves, Half-Elves and Dwarves in my experience though. Occasionally a human if there was a class those couldn't be or because certain players preferred humans.

3E and 4E had plenty of random stuff, especially later on in 3.5E, but it's harder to dredge up (I do remember a Githzerai Shaman who summoned the spirits of his ancestors which got pretty strange, in 4E). In 5E, most recently we had Goliath Monk, Satyr Paladin, Changeling er... something? We also have had a lot of parties where most of the PCs are normal, but there's stuff like a (male) Drow Cleric of Elistraee or Yuan-Ti Paladin (LG too! He followed the Paladin code like he was Dexter!).

Actually the most "normal" 5E party I can think of we have (except for the one that came through from 4E) is Human Monk, Tiefling Bard, Hobgoblin Paladin, Changeling Sorcerer, Warforged Fighter.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Aarakocra Sun Soul Monk
Tabaxi Open-Hand Monk
Tortle Long Death Monk

All came from a far-away land (think "Zootopia-like" continent) where animal-people were the norm and all other races were "strange".

Voadam

Legend
Right now my group is:

Robot Artificer (uses warforged as a stats base).
Kobold bard.
Human Cleric.
Tortle Hexblade.

The human and tortle are replacements for World of Darkness style Werewolf and Werebear concept characters who died.

Shifter Barbarian (werebear).
Human Druid (werewolf, actually a wolf werewolf who narratively shifts into human form).

So for a long while the kobold was the most classic standard narrative D&D person in the party.

Ulfgeir

Hero
When we played the Escape from Undermountain-campaign for 5e, all characters where from races that had darkvision.

Those I remember: A Thiefling bard (my character, she was an alternative thiefling as far as looks went, but normal one as far as stats if I recall correctly (think thin succubus tail instead of thick normal one)), an Eladrin druid(?), A hobgoblin(?) ranger with humanoid as favoured enemy, a half-drow warlock, a gnome (not sure if proper gnome or snirfneblin, and can't remember the class), and then 2 more that I can not remember. I think one of them might have been a dwarf.

Remove ads