• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What defines the "edition war" and why are participants / moderators opposed to them?

diaglo

Adventurer
It's pointless to try to force them, and everyone to play Your One True Way.

I had problems with OD&D, but the games were still fun.

i am an optimist. if for nothing else then to have fun playing my One True Game.

but the big part for me is to see others having fun with it too.

i have speckled dice sets and seats available at my gaming table at Gen Con and Stone Mtn if you are interested.

diaglo "i'm dull and pointless, but i still work good as a bludgeoning weapon" Ooi

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
So, edition wars are created because people who are angry at a company are angry at a company because they think that company did something to anger them?
Makes sense.

That sounds about right. I know folks locally who view the changes made to 4th edition FR as a personal attack on them, their campaigns and every memory they ever had of FR because they bought that gray box when they were a kid and damn it they are entitled to...something or other, but boy are they mad!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, edition wars are created because people who are angry at a company are angry at a company because they think that company did something to anger them?
Makes sense.

No. Edition Wars are created because:

1) When people are frustrated, disappointed, or hurt, they tend to lash out at inappropriate targets.

2) When people are inappropriate targets, they tend to lash back.

Quantum

First Post
Edition wars are created because people need a pecking order. It's only human nature to tear people apart in order to make themselves feel better about themselves. It's really no different than those who get factional over long running tv shows such as Doctor Who and Star Trek.

And you'd think people'd learn that it doesn't have to be that way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads