D&D 5E What do Derro sound like?

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
galaxy-quest-thermians.gif

S'mon

Legend
My derro are based off 1e AD&D derro as presented by Gygax in 'Sea of Death', so they are degenerate humans not dwarves. They generally have squeaky high pitched manic voices.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Unfortunately, derro's a bit of an insult for a. Certain type of people here in Australia

So there's a certian stereotype I go for with them just becuase, Australia

S'mon

Legend
I remember an old 2000 AD (Judge Anderson?) story with evil underground living humans called derros. I got the strong impression they were from an older source, presumably the same source Gygax took from. Probably a work of crypto-history, possibly entirely fictional. But I can't find anything on a Google search except D&D Derro and Australian vagrants. Strange.

Edit: Found it! Derro Lore: The D&D Evil that Lives Beneath You
In a 1945 issue of Amazing Stories, Richard Sharpe Shaver claimed he had personal experience with a ancient and sinister civilization that exists in caverns beneath the earth. In 1932, Shaver noticed strange things were happening beneath the factory he worked in, things frightening enough that it forced him to quit his job.

The next several years of Shaver’s life is in dispute. Some claim that Shaver spent those years hospitalized for psychiatric problems.

Shaver himself swore he spent those years in the cavern world of the creatures he called “derro.”

As proof, Shaver produced a 10,000 wold document detailing an advanced alien race that he claimed built a vast subterranean civilization, only to abandon it for another planet...

Last edited:

Bupp

Adventurer
I've used derro twice recently, and have them starting to gear up for their Uniting War. Derropedia is a good resource.

Yeah, I'd go with a raspy, mid-range voice.

They're kinda "medium toned." Not "deep and gravelly" like dwarves. Not "high pitched melodic" like pixies. More a scratchy quality than "gravel."

Like a Tenor that's smoked too much. Oo! Or a late years Lucille Ball or Phyllis Diller. Kinda "deep for a human female"...but that's the males.

I've read "I Remember Lemuria!" The story itself is fine - not great, but certainly interesting to anyone delving into the origins of D&D things. But his beliefs are out there; if it was a hoax, then he displayed a heck of commitment to it. I think it more likely he truly believed in his underground civilizations and rock books.

Edit: Found it! Derro Lore: The D&D Evil that Lives Beneath You
In a 1945 issue of Amazing Stories, Richard Sharpe Shaver claimed he had personal experience with a ancient and sinister civilization that exists in caverns beneath the earth. In 1932, Shaver noticed strange things were happening beneath the factory he worked in, things frightening enough that it forced him to quit his job.

The next several years of Shaver’s life is in dispute. Some claim that Shaver spent those years hospitalized for psychiatric problems.

Shaver himself swore he spent those years in the cavern world of the creatures he called “derro.”

As proof, Shaver produced a 10,000 wold document detailing an advanced alien race that he claimed built a vast subterranean civilization, only to abandon it for another planet...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases