• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What do people think of the new dragon designs?

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I think the art is stunning. I think the design of the gold dragon is absolutely terrible.
This is how I feel too. The artwork of the gold dragon is amazing. But as a “Dungeons & Dragons Gold Dragon,” I’m not a fan of the design. I was kind of afraid to say that since the love for it in this thread seemed to be virtually unanimous. I thought surely I must be missing something. But I’ve hereby said it out loud on the internet, so there’s no going back now.

This is how I feel too. The artwork of the gold dragon is amazing. But as a “Dungeons & Dragons Gold Dragon,” I’m not a fan of the design. I was kind of afraid to say that since the love for it in this thread seemed to be virtually unanimous. I thought surely I must be missing something. But I’ve hereby said it out loud on the internet, so there’s no going back now.
It's all good. Styles change, but you're okay if you prefer earlier looks.

I recall a few people felt that the skull face black dragons and rhino blue dragons of 3e were too different. Often it's just people favoring well rendered art over simpler styles.

1716563698100.png
1716563722174.png

1716563803486.png
1716563767189.png

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Honestly, the more I look at the "wings" the more it makes me think of a Kite. There is just so much majesty in this.
Whereas for me, "majesty" is the last thing I think of when I see those wings. They're so small and stunted, they don't even really look like wings anymore. I know reds are supposed to have the greatest wingspan, but did golds need to have practically vestigial wings? Really? These are supposed to be the MOST majestic of all regular dragons!

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
What appears to be book art of the Dragon

GOR1sLIXUAAeoR6
New Gold Dragon design has just dropped

Very oarfish in wing design. I love it.

So, the Red and Silver dragons get the classic bat-wings, Blue is pteradactyl-ish, Green is maple leaf, Black is a sort of three-in-one affair, White is a hybrid design of bat and pterodactyl, Bronze is a sort of hybrid design of bat and leaf, and Gold is (again) oarfish-but-horizontal.

Looking forward to the Brass and Copper.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads