What do the NPCs do when the heroes are out of town?

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
My settings (Towns) are created with a list of factions (always includes Townsfolk) and a list of Seasonal Holy Days.
Sometimes Ill play my own little minigame where I’ll roll on a seasonal events table to see what things might happen and then using the Holy Day as a start point decide how the NPC factions might react. The reactions are what the PCs will encounter should they visit town during the relevant season and plots might result.

Do you have an spreadsheet or maybe a blank worksheet for this sort of thing? I imagine that i could be a useful tool for GMs.

Shiroiken

Legend
In general, I try to detail out as many of the NPCs as I need to keep things interesting. Knowing the motivations and goals of them, I can create various events that occur. In my current Saltmarsh D&D campaign, there are a lot of events going on that have nothing to do with the players. Sometimes the players look into them, and they become mini-adventures. Other times, they're just background flavor to make the world seem alive (reminding the players it's not all about them).

aco175

Legend
I have some semi-random stand-bys such as; out of town for business, unavailable to meet until tomorrow, dealing with customers- please have a seat, and if I need to move the game - please come in- we have been waiting for you.

It may seem that some NPCs are always the same like the innkeeper. He may be always be solid and the players will come to expect the same. When one day he is not, the players will clue in and ask questions. This can lead to something simple like having marriage problems to shortage of goods, or blackmail from a competitor.

Remove ads