What do we know about 'Revenge of the Giants'?

GVDammerung

First Post
Thank you for the link to the preview. I’ll look at this because of the original but the preview is not impressive.

Another uber dude needs _YOU_ to SAVE THE WORLD!!! From an ‘ancient evil.’ Ya don’t say? Yawn.

This bears no passing resemblance to the original where an ordinary human king recruited a party to deliver a sharp check to some uppity giants, which proved more than it appeared as the tale was told. This adventure appears to be all “fate of the world” – the entire world – that ain’t the G-Series.

Nor does it invoke the vibe as the scale of this new adventure is magnitudes greater. Its like saying a Peterbilt invokes the feel of a PT Cruiser. They are both internal combustion vehicles but otherwise . . .

And this adventure appears to be obvious upfront, whereas the G-Series only gradually unfolded its full story – uber dude (well not so uber as his wizardness doesn’t know the world spanning empire has fallen ever through they don’t send champions any more – what no divination spells?) needs you to save the world and he can tell you exactly from what and why. Again, this ain’t the G-Series.

And finally there are the lovely 4e tropes that utterly divorce whatever
this adventure is from the original.

I’ll look at this, yes, but the preview makes me think . . . what’s the word . . . rhymes with pap . . .

I think I may have just saved $40!

Turtlejay

First Post
Thank you for the link to the preview. I’ll look at this because of the original but the preview is not impressive.

Another uber dude needs _YOU_ to SAVE THE WORLD!!! From an ‘ancient evil.’ Ya don’t say? Yawn.

This bears no passing resemblance to the original where an ordinary human king recruited a party to deliver a sharp check to some uppity giants, which proved more than it appeared as the tale was told. This adventure appears to be all “fate of the world” – the entire world – that ain’t the G-Series.

Nor does it invoke the vibe as the scale of this new adventure is magnitudes greater. Its like saying a Peterbilt invokes the feel of a PT Cruiser. They are both internal combustion vehicles but otherwise . . .

And this adventure appears to be obvious upfront, whereas the G-Series only gradually unfolded its full story – uber dude (well not so uber as his wizardness doesn’t know the world spanning empire has fallen ever through they don’t send champions any more – what no divination spells?) needs you to save the world and he can tell you exactly from what and why. Again, this ain’t the G-Series.

And finally there are the lovely 4e tropes that utterly divorce whatever
this adventure is from the original.

I’ll look at this, yes, but the preview makes me think . . . what’s the word . . . rhymes with pap . . .

I think I may have just saved $40!

Wow, I am sure glad you read the adventure (and it's not even released yet!) and kept us from getting it! How cool that you *know* how the whole thing goes.

Do you think a preview for the original would mention Drow at all? A preview for the original, in order to not spoil anything, likely read as bland as can be. A border town needs help with their giant problem. Why don't you rein in that cynicism a few notches and wait for the adventure to be released before you decide you know how it is going to play out.

Jay

Badwe

First Post
you clearly have no love for 4e, and yet decided to post in a thread specifically attempting to cull information, not pass judgement. congratulations, you hate things that aren't even out yet. You also want to sell this illusion that you were ever genuinely considering this product, but much like you in regards to the book, I'm not buying.

With regards to the book: clearly it's in hardcover format, does this mean there will likely be no poster maps? the H1-E3 adventures include poster maps but are also essentially sold as folders with internal books. I'm no printing aficionado so I have to wonder.

I'd like to get a good idea though, I'm running a campaign fueled primarily by modules (with my own random ravings serving as glue to hold them together/modify them) so the sooner I learn more about this, the sooner I can weigh it against P1-P3. A shame really, because P1 and P2 are very well reviewed.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I'd like to remind folks that everyone here is allowed to have an opinion, positive or negative.

If you think someone else's opinion isn't well founded, that's fine. But don't get rude or in their face about it. It is, after all, just an opinion, and not worthy of nastiness or argument. Thanks

With regards to the book: clearly it's in hardcover format, does this mean there will likely be no poster maps? the H1-E3 adventures include poster maps but are also essentially sold as folders with internal books. I'm no printing aficionado so I have to wonder.

I was thinking about this too. Can anyone from WOTC confirm the inclusion or exclusion of poster maps? This might be a make or break deal for some interested parties.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

I'll pass for the time being; I'm still trying to wash the stink of Sean Reynolds' terrible LIBERATION OF GEOFF "sequel" off of my hands. Talk about sending a clown in to do a man's job...

But anyway.

Once some reviews roll in, then I'll decide whether to pick it up (hey, good maps are good maps).

But right now I'm saving my pennies for the new SPACE HULK set from GW!

For the Emperor! Cleanse! Purge! Kill!

Remove ads