D&D 5E What do we know about The Sundering?

Mercurius

Legend
I
Some of Ed's original Realms maps and drawings can be found in "Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms".

I was a bit disappointed with this. Its a good product, but not what I was hoping for - the Ed Greenwood version of the Realms. Instead it reads more like an extended "Running the Realms My Way" text.

gyor

Legend
Extraplanar locations like the city of Gloomwrought in the Shadowfell are new, so Ed wouldn't have come up with that, same with Airspur and the like.

I'm not sure about Mulhorand and Unther, they're history and religion are different enough that they could have had a seperate origin, then again they might not, its hard to say.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I was a bit disappointed with this. Its a good product, but not what I was hoping for - the Ed Greenwood version of the Realms. Instead it reads more like an extended "Running the Realms My Way" text.

As was I... until I read The Secret History of the Zhentarim section and then everything was right with the world again. :)

(Typed by a Zhentarim groupie....)

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Extraplanar locations like the city of Gloomwrought in the Shadowfell are new, so Ed wouldn't have come up with that, same with Airspur and the like.

I'm not sure about Mulhorand and Unther, their history and religion are different enough that they could have had a seperate origin, then again they might not, its hard to say.

Gloomwrought is not officially part of the Realms - it's part of the core world.

Scott Bennie wrote Old Empires where Mulhorand and Unther were first detailed but I'm not sure how much inspiration he drew from Ed's notes. I recall Ed saying he had included the Old Empires so he had an excuse to incorporate snake cults a la the Cult of Set in the movie Conan the Barbarian but I cannot find the exact quotes about his versions of these nations differed. He did, however, invent the Imaskari who brought the Old Empires to Toril so I suspect he had a significant hand in their development.

gyor

Legend
Gloom Wrought makes an appearance in several of RA Salavatore's novels, its officialbnow apart ofcthe of the Nethril Empire.

gyor

Legend
I have all three books so far and can anwser many questions about the Sundering, but most answers would have spoilers. I'd advise you guys read the books, but if you have any question feel free to ask.

Remove ads