• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you do about animals and companions?

teichman

First Post
I have players that all want animal companions now that the ranger has one from Martial Power. I also have a player who wants to have npc companions come with him. I was thinking of allowing them to have animals and other npc companions with them but automatically make them all minions to discourage the use of them. The reason is that with all the animals and npc's things just seem to bog down, especially in combat when everyone wants their animals and npc companions to get involved. What do you do in 4e for this situation?

Ryujin

Legend
I have players that all want animal companions now that the ranger has one from Martial Power. I also have a player who wants to have npc companions come with him. I was thinking of allowing them to have animals and other npc companions with them but automatically make them all minions to discourage the use of them. The reason is that with all the animals and npc's things just seem to bog down, especially in combat when everyone wants their animals and npc companions to get involved. What do you do in 4e for this situation?

Human companions could be useful to watch camp, if the party ventures into a traditional dungeon. People get tired of coming out to a bunch of dead or missing mounts all the time. Way back I ran a Greyhawk based campaign in which the party's Paladin had a full retinue, including pavilions that were set up whenever they made camp. Made for interesting situations.

Control of animal companions that aren't tied to the owner in some direct mental way results in unpredictable behaviour. There would be a lot of running off, a lot of dead animals, etc.. companions and familiars are one thing. Trained animals are something else. Imagine when Mr. Boots, the Wizard's cat gets scared by the zombies and sinks his claws into his owner's back. Just a touch distracting.

nittanytbone

First Post
1) Treat them like a mage's Summons. I.E., for each encounter the NPC assists in, the PC must expend a Daily Magic Item Usage and a healing surge. The NPC is controlled using the PC's actions.

2) Flesh them out as NPCs per the DMG. Add monsters equal to the XP value of the NPC to each encounter.

Trolls

First Post
Here are a few options I'd try:

1) Add them as minions to the encounter. If they fall, they don't die, but are simply knocked unconscious and require aid. To compensate, add an extra enemy minion to the encounter to keep things even.

2) Add them in to the encounter, but don't stat them up. Conflict between NPCs doesn't really need to be adjudicated by dice rolls. Have them die when you think it's appropriate, or have them distract the enemy for a while by narrating a fierce combat. The NPCs then become a way to stagger the approach of the bad guys for more dynamic combats, and work as movable terrain (which happens to grant combat advantage).
Don't let them kill the bad guys, lest they steal the PCs' thunder.

Hmmm, #2 is an interesting idea, if a bit abstract.

NPCs are NEVER dealt with in the role of companions anywhere explicitly in the core rulebooks. So technically by RAW they just don't exist within the party. Yet obviously they will form a significant element in most campaigns at some point. All I can say is my personal solution is to stat them up. If they are likely to be around only for a short time or they are members of non-PC playable races then I use standard pre-generated monster stat blocks. There is an excellent collection of them here, all expanded from the NPC construction rules in the DMG.

You are correct that NPCs will slow down combat somewhat. There are a few ways to easily limit them. First of all they can be expensive, at least ones willing to actually follow a party and fight. If they aren't being paid they certainly should demand an equal share of treasure (assuming they are at the same level as the party). Failure to keep the NPCs happy can be lead to bad situations (the NPCs bolt with the party's pack train in the middle of the Pass of Bones, 10 days from any supplies in the bitter cold). In most cases just make the NPCs either minions (porters or other such types) or 1-2 (or more) levels below the PCs. They can still contribute usefully but should remain mostly as background.

Companions are another matter... Per RAW there are none available except to Rangers. Unless either a multiclass feat is defined which allows other classes to acquire the Beast Master class feature, or else AP or PHB2, etc defines rules for other companions there is technically no such thing for other classes. It is widely assumed that at least some Arcane classes will gain familiars at some point in the near future, but I don't know this for sure. If PCs really want animals, then they can certainly buy animals or possibly train them or something similar. I would rule that the animal works more or less like an animal companion. But there are no feats or powers available to buff them. You might try creating a feat or two allowing some basic use of the animal, like a heroic tier feat that would let you call your animal to you when it was within sight (or 20 squares or whatever).

Smeelbo

First Post
A wagon, a pair of mules to pull it, and a stout lad to drive them

Especially when I am playing a small race, I try to buy a wagon and a couple mules as soon as I can afford it. I've been given copper, bronze, marble, and other heavy valuables often enough that I must be prepared. I go to the orphange and get me a "lad" to drive the wagon, and watch the camp while we delve below.

In 3.5, we used a level 1 commoner, or if the referee was generous, an expert, for the "lad." The referee controlled the lad, and he almost never did anything in combat, other than try to keep the mules in line, or hand me a loaded crossbow. In 4E, a minion seems appropriate for that kind of thing.

However, I think it is best if the referee mostly control such NPCs, and that they not become extensions of the player character. And sometimes they can be used as plot hooks, like the lad gets kidnapped (that's why I use orphans).

As long as the lad mostly does his job, I'm happy.

Smeelbo

Remove ads