What do you like most in a story hour?

What do you like most in a story hour?

• Interesting characters/characterizations?

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • Description of the game world.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Good writing/Narrative style.

Votes: 43 58.9%
  • See how a module/adventure played out.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Combat/fight scenes.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Other (Describe in post)

Votes: 5 6.8%

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Thats a really tough poll to answer, because the answer is really "All of the above."

However, writing skill is a basic prerequisite. If the first installment of a Story Hour is just one long two page paragraph, I won't even bother reading a single sentence - I'll see it and back right out.

Competent writing allows all the other elements to be seen. After that, I think the character of both the setting and the PC's is what draws me in - it did in Sagiro's and Piratecat's Story Hours, thats for sure. Wulf's drew me in because of the PC characterizations, and the distinctive writing style that got Wulf's personality across so clearly.

I'm not generally too fond of Story Hours that delve into modules - I might want to play in those modules! For example, there's a Story Hour about Freeport going; I know that one group I play wth plans on going through those modules. That means that no matter how well written, I won't read that Story Hour.

I also like Story Hours that use the conventions of the game in neat ways and tht give me cool ideas to spring on my own players - Piratecat and Sagiro are particularly good at that.

Carnifex

First Post
I've got to agree with Kid Charlemagne. All of those qualities can make a story hour good.

In terms of story hours delving into modules, I don't mind too much, since I rarely if ever use modules at the moment (I'm using a homebrew campaign setting).

I'd say in terms of good story hours, Sagiro's and Piratecat's are certainly the masters :)

drnuncheon

Explorer
Kid Charlemagne said:

I'm not generally too fond of Story Hours that delve into modules - I might want to play in those modules! For example, there's a Story Hour about Freeport going; I know that one group I play wth plans on going through those modules. That means that no matter how well written, I won't read that Story Hour.

Crumbs.

J

Tell them to hurry up and run the things already!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
To me it is all about characters. . . If I cannot remember the names of the PCs and what makes them distinct my interest fades quickly. . .

It is one of the things I love about Sagiro's Story Hour (and that I think is good about mine) is that the characters are distinct, and little larger than life and memorable.

Rashak Mani

First Post
We very rarely play in higher levels and Piratecats groups super duper spells and the enemies using a lot of magic and different tactics... are very different from my regular gaming.

I voted combat thing... but I really like the tactics and magic used in his story hour... Piratecats babies tied to front tactic was great ! Spells I never have seen used before in very dramatic combat stories....

DoctorB

First Post
I think I like everything too, but Pirate Cat's good writing is what draws me to it.

I am determined to write the Legacy of Alexander story in a more literary way now. It could be a good way to make the world come alive for me and my players too!

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Oghma, in your story hour it can be resumed in a word:

Posy

The best character ever :)

In general, I must say I like stories with well defined characters and twisted plots (like Nemmerle's one :) ), and I don't like stories where the PCs are so dull I cannot even remember their names or personalities, but there are not many like that in the boards...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases