• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you steal from published settings?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I've borrowed Thay and the Circle of Eight and mushed them together...in my homebrew the Circle of Eight rules Thay.

I've thought about using various Greyhawk mages, particularly the Circle of Eight, to fill out the ranks of the Conclave in Dragonlance. Tenser the White Robe, Evard the Black Robe...good stuff.

I use Pathfinder's goblins and kobolds wherever I can. Love them!

Last edited:

Bastard Child

First Post
I'm basically running Iomandra mixed with Council of Wyrms gutted out and filled with everything Genndy Tartakovsky, Steve Loter and Quintin Tarintino. I've also got Xen'drik as an archipelago with Dino Riders (replacing lasers with blackpower). All style, no sense.

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
I usually borrow little interesting bits that I can either use outright or re-work somehow.
ex:
From Search for the Unknown (B1), The entrance has a battle scene where several adventurers had their first (and last) battle. I have used that a few times, where characters come upon an old battle scene. Once, the scene was at a 4-way, and the party was attacked with missile weapons and magic from the dark Corridors. Another time, it was s single orc with a pouch of coins. As soon as the first character grabbed the pouch and tried to pick it up, the floor disappeared... etc
From The Gauntlet (UK3)- I expanded on the idea of the characters being in a castle of some kind while an army (or three) gathers outside demanding whatever treasure the characters are protecting (something the characters didn't realize was there).
From The Temple of Elemental Evil (T1-4) I "borrowed" the bandit ambush.

There was another one where the "dungeon" was a pyramid buried in a desert... from that, I got the idea of the hidden dungeon.

Stuff like that... no exact settings, or adventure ideas (although, I twisted the Paladin in Hell to really cause havoc with your favorite Holy Warrior).

S'mon

Legend
I'm not much of a setting whore. So, I don't own a lot of setting stuff.

My CS of choice is the Wilderlands of High Fantasy, but I'm using the Gods (not all of them!) from Forgotten Realms.

So, I guess in that sense, I stole the entire pantheon from FR.

I can't recall stealing much from anywhere else, but then, I don't own many CS's, like I said.

My 4e Wilderlands setting mashes up Wilderlands with 4e Points of Light and a Heavy Metal twist. Neo-Nerathi Necromancer cultists of Zehir plot to raise the dead battalions of Nerath from the Gedden Plain...

Fox Lee

Explorer
From Eberron:
King Kaius (and his groupies)
Warforged
Shifters
Significant portions of the coastline

From my husband's 3.5 setting:
Most of the PC races
The recently-extinct rave of slave overlords who used to own everybody

From elsewhere:
I stole demon horns/angel halos and contracts from Chrno Crusade
I stole automail from Fullmetal Alchemist (though the latter is yet to appear canonincally, it's still there in theory).
I stole the elemental mythological beasts and their myths from WotBS
I stole floating islands from Skies of Arcadia.
I stole the ruins of an ancient technologically-advanced civilisation from every JRPG ever.

I may also have stolen the Labyrinth from the Death Gate Cycle. Still deciding.

Yeah okay, I basically collect setting elements

Remove ads