• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What do you want from an NPC list?

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
I don't the last time I used stats for a good-aligned (or allied) NPC. If the PCs aren't going to fight it, it doesn't need stats. I'd much rather use DM fiat or quick die rolls ("50-50 to see if Traxx escapes the den of trolls without PC involvement") than manage and reference stat blocks.

Heck, even for villainous NPCs I won't bother with stat blocks but just reflavor monsters. One time my players ended up in a tavern brawl in a pirate town. I didn't have anything on hand, so I grabbed my MM, flipped through an spotted a roper. Instantly, I had a towering pirate wrestler festooned with chains and cutlasses tearing the place apart. Good times.

My point is, as a DM, I'd rather turn a small number of good tools to my own ends--adding flavor as needed--than have to sort through an overwhelming amount of content and resources. To me, less is usually more.

redrick

First Post
When I need quirks, I don't need stats.
When I need stats, I don't need quirks.

I want both, but I don't want to have to split out statblocks between those two purposes.
Mostly I want battle stat blocks because I find it difficult to reuse personality-from-a-can.

This kind of hits it for me. Marrying pre-built characters to pre-built statblocks doesn't do me much good. Most of the time, I have a character that I've created for my game, and I need combat stats for that character in a hurry. So, really, what I would like, is another few dozen stat-blocks like what we have at the back of the monster manual. I'd always prefer using a pre-built statblock to putting together my own, though I end up building my own all the time.

so when you look for NPCs, you don't worry about level appropriate stats or any of that, but focus on the personality and background? I'm assuming you'll then stat up as needed? Just trying to make sure I understand :)

If I were going to use NPCs other people had created (I don't), I would want a picture, a name, and some information on the personality. I would fill in the rest if needed.

S'mon

Legend
I only want crunch, unless it's a really good writer - I like my own NPCs a lot better than I like most authors' random assortments. Usually what I'm looking for is stats for characters where I already have a personality down.
Most useful is something like the back-of-5e-MM NPCs or the similar approach in Paizo's GameMastery Guide, where they stat out common niches.

Sacrosanct

Legend
How about something like this, as a compromise between the two camps. I've added a CR rating for each tier. So if all you want is a statblock like what's in the back of the MM, you can go to the class section you want (in gray as a header on the page) and choose the CR that fits what you're looking for. And if you want a bit of fluff and personality or adventure seeds, you have that too.

Using this example, if I'm looking for a CR5 generic fighter, I can pull this NPC and use Tier 3 and flesh him out however I want to fit my campaign, if at all. Or if Ulgor is a personality and background that fits what I'm looking for, I choose him, then use a Tier that fits best with what I want and modify that as needed.

If there are roughly 10 fighter NPCs, you should have an example from nearly every race/subclass/level combination since each will have 4 statblocks for each tier. Or at least most of them.

ulgor example.jpg

so when you look for NPCs, you don't worry about level appropriate stats or any of that, but focus on the personality and background? I'm assuming you'll then stat up as needed? Just trying to make sure I understand :)

Primarily, a good physical description that is interesting in some way, a personality complete with a few unique quirks, and a connection to some generic setting element such as a guild, army, cabal, etc. . As far as stats go perhaps some ability scores from which traits can drawn, but other than that none are needed.

I like the way Flying Buffalo did NPCs in their citybook series. Interesting characters with a notion about general fighting and/or magic using ability level that could be translated into stats from numerous game systems.

If you had a whole slew of these, combined with generic focused stat templates in a different section ( fighter stats for various competency levels & styles, a selection of arcane and divine caster templates at various levels and so forth it could be really useful because the two sections could be mixed & matched as the DM requires.

For example, Alexander Trollslayer a gruff and tough dwarf with a heart of gold and a fighting rating of exceptional could be paired with a variety of fighter stats depending on the level desired.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I prefer something like example #2 so I can grab the NPCs on the fly and stick them into a scene when needed. Personality and adventure hooks are optional and would likely be replaced for something fitting the context; I'd rather be sure the stats check out.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
The one with ulgor ironmark seems perfect, except for dripping with magic items. The thing is, NPCs don't have to play fair. Cook up some neat abilities inspired by MM powers and class abilities that are fine to chuck against PCs, and have them available as a template.

Say I wanted Ulgor to be the "boss" of an encounter, with a couple dozen mooks and his lieutenants, I could pick from a list of neat "boss" or "leader" abilities in the back of the book. Like.... Master of mooks, whenever he would be hit, an ally within range is hit instead. Stuff like that.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I like the last two a lot. Three comments, though:

1. Give each stat block a name and "epithet." Like, "Traxx, Dragonborn Warrior" or "Ulgor Ironmark, Dwarf Ronin." This would help me quickly get a handle on the NPC and also make it easier to re-use the stat block for someone else.

2. I think these should be built like NPCs and use the NPC stat block format, instead of built like PCs. Don't even organize them by class. NPCs don't need classes or levels; they just need what they need to fulfill their role in the story.

3. The CR should be appropriate to the tier. A Tier 4 dude should be CR 11+, and bad news. I like how Ulgor becomes a clan leader, but at only CR 8, he doesn't seem like a Tier 4 concern. EDIT: Or just remove the "tier" notation entirely, and simply present each NPC at 4 different CRs. That seems the most useful.

Last edited:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Here's what I think would work best for me. First, take the generic stat block concept from the back of the Monster Manual, just create more of them. These are great when I quickly need stats for something. I've already made myself statblock index cards for every single one.

Then, separately, create NPCs with names and personality traits, and reference which stat blocks could be used to represent them mechanically. For example:

Trip Featherfoot
Street thief
--------------------------------
Appearance: Thin, freckled, with ragged, dirty clothes
Talents: Unbelievably lucky
Mannerisms: Whispers
Traits: Quiet
Ideals: Freedom
Bonds: Loyal to the gang he grew up with.
Flaws and Secrets: Knows where the local Lord dumps the bodies.
Stat Block: Commoner (CR 0), Spy (CR 1), or Assassin (CR 8)

Remove ads