D&D 5E What do you want in a published adventure? / Adventure design best practices?

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Some things I'd like to see, in no particular order:

- limited if any baked-in backstory to allow the module to be fully self-contained as far as possible (yes this is possible even when a module is part of an AP)
- if it's a dungeon crawl:
- - - multiple ways in and out, some obvious, some not so
- - - closed loops on some levels to avoid linearity (linearity is boring!)
- - - multiple access points and methods between one level, deck or floor and another; some of which skip or bypass levels
- - - secret areas that a party might miss completely
- - - intentional 'holes' in the map; areas of solid rock that don't contain a secret room no matter how hard they look
- - - linear lengths of stairways noted on the maps and-or in the write-ups (this is always a headache)
- passing attention paid to 'what-if' situations e.g. what if the PCs are three days late in completing the time-sensitive mission, or what if the PCs charm or capture this person instead of killing
- boxed text describing each area and its obvious contents and-or occupants (explained below)
- something different or new; whether it's a magic item, a monster or villain, a location, a nifty trap, or whatever - a reason to remember the module afterwards
- wandering monsters that make sense, and if they don't make sense don't put 'em in
- a day by day (or similar) story development track if the adventure site is not static - particularly important in race-against-time style modules
- monsters' stats in 1e-style short form in the write-up for the room in which they (are most likely to) appear

Boxed text: the reason this is important is that without it it's far too easy for a DM to miss key elements that are buried in the text, leading to headaches later. The trick is to write the boxed text as 'direction-neutral' - NEVER use "left" and "right" as directions as the party might approach from the other way! - and if the area is large enough you might need to have several boxed texts, one for each possible direction of approach, as not all of it can be seen at once.

Lanefan

At the risk of lots of repetition of what's come after this post, I really like this one as a starting point (I'm sure [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] is not surprised).

To add to this list:

---Better separation of chapters in an AP, perhaps with a short section on hooks for that chapter. That way it could be split into smaller adventures if somebody wanted to use just a part of one.

---I like the sections in an encounter description that started in 3e(?) which segregated monsters, treasure, traps, etc. While I like (actually prefer) some background, boxed, or descriptive text, the mechanical stuff should be isolated, and nothing but mechanical.

---Within the DM specific info, notations about things that matter in other rooms or locations. For example, it's not uncommon to have a guard post with an alert that says, "reinforcements come from this room" but they don't always remind you in that room that you might have removed monsters from it already.

---In a dungeon, particularly a lair, I write a description of the life in the lair. Monsters don't just sit in rooms and wait for adventurers. Wandering monsters in places like this should also be tied to this. So in a goblin lair, they could typically be found in and around a certain group of rooms, but during the night several hunting parties of x number of goblins are out hunting, etc.

---More intelligent monsters. Not as in more monsters should be intelligent, but that intelligent monsters should be run that way. Intelligent monsters will have escape plans, defense plans, routines, and also some sort of information as to when they are willing to fight to the death.

---Bigger dungeons. Not necessarily more encounters. Catacombs, limestone caves systems, and mines can consist of miles of tunnels. Yet you'll have an adventure in some ancient dwarven mines that are 20 or 40 rooms that fit on a single page at 5' or 10' per square.

---3D dungeons. Ideally this means they'll have isometric style maps to go with them. Especially caves, since tunnels aren't level. But most dungeons don't need to be segregated into neat levels.

---Since we're dealing with the digital age, bonus materials online. Printable maps are an obvious choice, fleshing out backgrounds and design notes. I think WotC missed the boat with TftYP by not providing the original art form ToH and LSoT online.

Something I don't think is likely to work in a published adventure that pretty standard in mine are encounters that are just too difficult for the PCs. To me, there should be circumstances that require retreat and potentially help to achieve. Some of the APs have had this, but much too far the other way (RoT for example), where the PCs became bystanders instead of simply coming with more help.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
If you have the option (let's say you can only choose one due to page count limits), which would you prefer?

I really think this should be a thing of the past. For example, if page count prevents short AD&D style monster stats, then create a page of those type of stats room by room, and make it available for free online. Having all of the monster stats for the dungeon together might be more helpful, actually.

I think "good story" is both really nebulous and also really obvious. For example, I don't think anyone would say "I'm happy buying an adventure with a mediocre story." If you have a chance, I'd like to hear you elaborate on what that means to you in the context of an adventure?
You would think that it is obvious, but it really isnt. It either painful to read, it doesnt flow, or is really flimsy story judging by whats on my shelf.

Story written should flow, read well. The adventure should have a solid reasoning for the adventure- way of the wicked AP for example that i used earlier the overall theme is overthrowing a kindom, also reads well as a story. The shattered star AP by piazo, the other example i also used earlier, doesnt read as well. Feels disjointed, like 5 or 6 dungeon crawls just barely held together by a flimsy excuse. It doesnt build upon what comes before like the earlier example.

Does that make sense?

Quickleaf

Legend
You would think that it is obvious, but it really isnt. It either painful to read, it doesnt flow, or is really flimsy story judging by whats on my shelf.

Story written should flow, read well. The adventure should have a solid reasoning for the adventure- way of the wicked AP for example that i used earlier the overall theme is overthrowing a kindom, also reads well as a story. The shattered star AP by piazo, the other example i also used earlier, doesnt read as well. Feels disjointed, like 5 or 6 dungeon crawls just barely held together by a flimsy excuse. It doesnt build upon what comes before like the earlier example.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that totally makes sense. You're actually saying 2 things, which is what I was trying to confirm...

First, that you want the writing to be enjoyable and fun to read. Good flowing writing.

Second, that you want a reasoning behind the adventure that holds together under scrutiny, not a flimsy excuse to adventure, but something substantive and thought through.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to ENWorld :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
[...a bunch of good ideas, until...]

---3D dungeons. Ideally this means they'll have isometric style maps to go with them.
Maybe it's just me, but I find those isometric, or viewed-on-an-angle maps absolutely impossible to read. Horrible things.

Better is to simply set a 0' elevaton peg point at the dungeon entrance or some other key place, then on the map use either contour lines or elevation markers (e.g. -10', +25, etc.) to indicate the elevation difference from the peg point.

---Since we're dealing with the digital age, bonus materials online.
No thanks. I'm paying for it on paper, I want it on paper; and I have no intention of first paying for the module and then paying for printer ink to get it on paper.

Carmen Sbordone said:
You would think that it is obvious, but it really isnt. It either painful to read ...
But are you buying it to read, or to run? I'd rather see a module that maybe doesn't read well but has everything when and where I need it in order to be able to efficiently run it.

Lanefan

Quickleaf

Legend
Maybe it's just me, but I find those isometric, or viewed-on-an-angle maps absolutely impossible to read. Horrible things.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it really depends on the dungeon design and the cartographer.

For example, here's some of Derek Ruiz's work that reads very clean to me:

52-Forsaken-Ruins-L.jpg

Better is to simply set a 0' elevaton peg point at the dungeon entrance or some other key place, then on the map use either contour lines or elevation markers (e.g. -10', +25, etc.) to indicate the elevation difference from the peg point.

Well, I used to do orienteering and I'm used to reading plans, so I'm familiar with elevation markers, but my anecdotal experience is that "topographic" style maps with elevation markers really trip some people up.

But are you buying it to read, or to run? I'd rather see a module that maybe doesn't read well but has everything when and where I need it in order to be able to efficiently run it.

It sounds like you perceive a tension between "fun/flowing/enjoyable to read" and "effective at the table"... Do you think that's because there's lots of bad examples of adventure writers overdoing the flowery purple prose? Or do you think it's an *inherent* tension between "reads well" and "plays well"?

I like to imagine there's a happy balance point between those two.

Lanefan

Yes. Both to read and run. Its nit one or the other for me.

Oh, one last point. It needs to be a print verion or have a PoD option. To me pdf only is useless.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it really depends on the dungeon design and the cartographer.

For example, here's some of Derek Ruiz's work that reads very clean to me:

52-Forsaken-Ruins-L.jpg
To me, that map - though pretty enough - is terrible. I've no way of knowing the elevation difference between one floor and another; no easy way to tell what's supposed to be above/below what, and without looking at the elevator and seeing there's an elevation difference it reads as though one could dig or Passwall through from the idols room to/from the crypt without much effort.

Well, I used to do orienteering and I'm used to reading plans, so I'm familiar with elevation markers, but my anecdotal experience is that "topographic" style maps with elevation markers really trip some people up.
Using the map you show, all it would need would be a "0'" notation at the top of the elevator, a "-20'" (or whatever) notation at the Well of Visions level, and so forth; with those notations using a colour specifically not used for anything else so it's obvious what they are.

It sounds like you perceive a tension between "fun/flowing/enjoyable to read" and "effective at the table"... Do you think that's because there's lots of bad examples of adventure writers overdoing the flowery purple prose? Or do you think it's an *inherent* tension between "reads well" and "plays well"?
Flowery prose, while nice, is just extra visual baggage I have to ignore in order to find what I need to actually run the module; information I'm usually looking for in a hurry as I need it >now< because I've just been asked something >now<.

Also, lots of extra text just means there's a higher chance I'll miss something relevant.

Lan-"modules should best be written in tl;dr format"-efan

A couple of comments;
- Flowery prose, or good flowing writing should be saved/used (only) for the introduction and not for the "running" part of the module. i.e. give me a story to get me interested, to build the background and provide the "why are we here" info. The named/numbered encounter info should be written in a resource/lookup/reference style - concise and standardized.
- I've got no problem with that map. And though elevation markers would tell me the separation between levels, so would a sentence in the dungeon description (which would also tell me the height of the ceilings). Then again, have three separate floor plans would give me the same info and be usable as battle maps too.
- There are a few insistent comments about requiring everything to be printed. And I think such a requirement is being grossly overstated. Not for the individual who demands everything in print, but for the author/writer. Very few writers are realistically constrained (or should be) by print considerations for the fact that very few adventure writers will ever see more than a vanity print of their adventure. And as the years move forward, this will become even more rare.

Remove ads