• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you want the next "genre setting" to be?

Afrodyte

Explorer
Super not interested in yet another euro inspired middle ages-esque castles with armored knights fighting dragons/whatever world. If I wanted Dragonlance, Birthright, or Greyhawk, I'd just use the forgotten realm setting (yes, I went right out there and said it, you don't have to agree, but its my opinion).

Thank. You.

I'm also not interested in something *weird* like Spelljammer or Planescape. Weird stuff is neat to read but next to impossible to make it seem consistent. Games fall to pieces when they don't feel consistent.

Thank. You. IMXP, it's not just the presentation that has to be different, but the game experience itself. What I'm looking for, most of all, is a setting that not only says, "I have to play this!" but also "I have to play this with 4th edition D&D!" and "This won't feel like any other D&D setting I've played."

Ravenloft does that very well. But it'd be nice to have something more swashbuckly, something along the lines of Brust's Taltos novels.

To recap, I'm looking for:
  • interesting premise
  • compatibility with 4th edition D&D
  • a different play experience

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Spelljammer, except with actual water and actual boats and none of that space stuff.

A nautical based campaign world sound interesting and I'd love to read about it.

Solid and well done nautical rules that you could export would be useful for almost any campaign world. Heck you could even use them in Darksun.
So, you want Pirates of Dark Water? :D

Mika

First Post
A lot depends on what Gamma World adds to the game. We definitely are getting mutations, along with high tech items as relatively rare treasures.

What about mundane types who don't wear armor but use firearms? If Gamma World doesn't cover those, then we may need Boot Hill, Top Secret, or Masque of the Red Death to fill the modern gap.

If Gamma World provides no chance to truly master the high tech items that it offers, then something futuristic would be needed, such as Star*Drive or Star Frontiers.

I think the current D&D rules are adequate for most pre-gunpowder historical scenarios -- especially after Martial Power 2 comes out.

techogre

First Post
My votes are (in order of preference):

Marvel Superheroes (Hasbro has the licence, right?)
Star Frontiers
Boot Hill

Gamma World would provide a solid base (assuming it does not suck) for all of those.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads