D&D 5E What does 5E NEED

If and when I decide to run 5e, I would not allow it based on the current subclasses (This might change when new origins come along). I also will not allow Path of the Totem Barbarians, Circle of the Moon Druids, Champion Fighters, Way of Shadow Monks, Way of the Four Element Monks (if I run a setting where this is fitting, I will use a different system), Oath of Vengeance Paladins, Fiend Pact Warlocks (NPC only in my campaign), and Great Old One Pact Warlocks (if my campaign had Great Old ones, it would be an NPC only class with characters eventually going insane or being destroyed by the knowledge).

Are you sure you're running the right game to begin with?

Greg K

Legend
Are you sure you're running the right game to begin with?

Do you understand that, just because the designers include something, the DM is not required to include it in a campaign. There is a long history of house ruling and leaving things out for both mechanical reasons and flavor considerations when designing campaigns. There is a lot that I like about the game itself. Some of the classes and subclasses are not to my taste and I will alter them, leave them out or limit them to NPCs as appropriate for my my campaigns and enforcing the style of game that I want to run and do so in a grand tradition dating back to the earliest days of D&D and the hobby

As for running it, I wrote "If and when I decide to run 5e" , so I am not running it at the moment. I am both collecting and writing house rules to fill in gaps and make alterations. The former includes backgrounds, new fighter and rogue archetypes, new fighting styles, Jester Canuck's Fey Sorcerer Origin, and Khaalis's Light Armor fighter variant. the latter involves me tweaking certain subraces, re-writing the Cleric (going back to 2e's Specialty Priests and Specialty Priests/3e Tailored Spell Lists by deity) and adapting both Green Ronin's Shaman and Witch classes during Spring Break.

Remove ads