D&D General What Does an Archfey Want?

Fae want more, at a bargain.

Think of them like kings or Greek gods. Instead of being driven by morality or ethics, they want more temporal gains. They might want something -- or someone -- for power, or beauty, or to make someone jealous, etc. Improve standing in the court, improve the courts influence, snub a rival, or have fun.

And always ruled by the bargain. Because it's not fun if you don't cheat, and you can't cheat without any rules!

nevin

Hero
(The game is 5E, but since this is a story related question, I'm using the "D&D General" tag.)

A couple of PCs in my game have sworn service to an archfey known as the Queen of the Dark River. She looks like a reverse freshwater version of Blipdoolpoolp, having the body of an enormous pure white crayfish and the head of a beautiful woman. She lives in a temple complex situated on an underground river, where she is attended by a small colony of freshwater kuo-toa.

The PCs encountered her when they were searching for the source of magic that was seeping into the underground river, which flows into a nearby swamp and causes spells to misfire there. They also returned some "swamp pearls" that had been stolen from her. I kind of thought that was the last we'd see of her, and the storyling I have planned will take them to the surface world for quite a while, but the players seem interested in continuing to interact with her. It seems like I should have her make some demands on them as they continue their adventures, but I don't know what to have her ask for. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Entertainment first. Archfey have generally been alive for a very long time. But also whatever thier primary desire is. Could be something to expand thier power in the fey, might need agents on the prime material to do something. ArchFey are tend to be risk averse. why risk yourself when you can use others. I'd go with her son or boyfriend or girlfriend whatever has bee imprisioned or enslaved by a mortal and whe wants them back. Or someone has an object of power she wants for herself.

aco175

Legend
The idea is that she just exudes magic naturally, and it gets into the water. I've established that it's a renewable resource.
If it is magic water, someone will want it. There must be several movies like Avatar where someone comes along to get what she has. Maybe the water can power spells somehow like grant +1 to the DC or +1d6 damage to the spell so that it becomes something casters want. A group moves in to bottle the water and runs into the fey no knowing that it is her that makes it. It would be kind of like a gold rush where all sorts of people show up.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I like to have emotions be the currency that fey trade in.

Maybe she wants a special creature's tears bottled up and then she will add them to her dark river to power it.

Alternatively it could be a bottled emotion itself either from the PCs or an important NPC. Once bottled up and consumed by the archery it may never be felt again by that person.

Remove ads