What does it mean to "Challenge the Character"?

5ekyu

Hero
Because you seem quite happy to invent things for me to say when it suits your purposes.

Is that really all you got out of that? I even called out that the sort of conflicts that I was talking about were not merely the sort that comes from players acting immaturely or having poor social skills, and yet here we are.

Style of play? I'm not quibbling over styles of play.

Objectively, there are things that are RPGs and things that are not. That has nothing to do with a "style of play". I personally find questions like: "Is "Cops & Robbers" and RPG?", "If it is not an RPG, what is it?", and "If it isn't an RPG, what minimal set of changes would it require to make it an RPG?" interesting and informative to ponder. I'm not asserting you can change "Cops & Robbers" to an RPG just by a change in style of play (although if you could, that would be interesting).

I'm seeing well where this is going...
So, if I get this right, in addition to bringing in what is an rpg and what kinds of conflicts count you want to count/exclude you also now want to kind of get into to what constitutes a style of play vs say whatever your would choose to call a choice by a group to not rely on rules to limit ourselves regardless of your sense of that making it not being an RPG ...

I hope that gets you what you want.

But for me, it's not paths I find worth pursuing.

The scopes and levels to which RPGs (even in their own not approved by you use of the term RPG) and tables allow player authorship and how they play out is of interest to me... for instance... but deciding to stop at some point to decide or argue "is this change to our authorship now make it not an RPG" doesnt get me snything.

I am more about the hanges in results and the impact on play (avoiding the term playstyle since that's another thing that somehow gets diversion going) than the change in the game's label.

But that's me.

Tony Vargas

Legend
that often leads to dysfunctional processes of play, like as you call out "fishing for the best solution" (which is essentially attempting a bunch of do overs until you reach a trial and error solution without paying for the consequences of the failures).
That's certainly familiar (even stereotypical) player behavior from back in the day.

FREX:

DM: You see a door.
Player: Is it sturdy?
DM: As you examine the door to determine how sturdy it is, the green slime coating it kills you. Roll up a new character.
Player: No, no, I meant: what kind of door? wood? iron-bound? does it have a latch or a metal handle or something? At a glance does it look old? new? strong? rotted?
DM: Too late. New character.
Player: You're a jerk, Steve.*

And, I did see it starting to come back with 5e. In 3.5 or even 4e, a player might have a really good idea not only of his character's ability and how it worked, but of the likely difficulty (DC or other factors) of a possible action. In 5e, as in the classic game, you can't be so sure. Unlike in the olden days when DMs would often make up random resolution mechanics off the cuff (roll d20 under your stat, roll d20 you want high, roll d6 even/odd no I won't tell you which is good, roll every dice you own take that much damage, etc), you at least know that if there is going to be a mechanic invoked, it'll likely be a check, and you have a fair idea what stat and skill might apply (and thus what the mod on your side will be), but whether there's a roll at all, and vs what DC (and maybe Adv/Dis) is entirely up to the DM. Players thus try to find ways to deal with that uncertainty.
While action declaration and resolution is a pretty tight ship, there's a little wiggle room in the first step - DM describes the situation. A picture's worth a thousand words & all, and there's no picture, so the DM may be giving some pretty substantial descriptions that may be hard to follow, so it's only natural for players to ask questions in this step to clarify and get an understanding of said situation appropriate to what their characters are simply taking in at a glance. It's not hard to fish for information about the best solution or the probable mechanical resolution involved (if any) of possible problems presented by that situation.

(And, no, I'm not going to give an example mocking millennials the same way I did my own generation, above.
I really want to, but I'm tak'n the high road for once.
Also, I can't think of anything quite as funny, because it wouldn't be as dysfunctional - might even be some iserithean gametopia.
Except, it'd end with "You're a jerk, Brandon**" )

* or Mike or Dave, most guys of gaming age back in the 80s were one of the three.
** because it seems like a lotta kids were being named Brandon. Or Taylor, yeah, that one's even unisex.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
That's certainly familiar (even stereotypical) player behavior from back in the day.

FREX:

DM: As you examine the door to determine how sturdy it is, the green slime coating it kills you. Roll up a new character.
Player: No, no, I meant: what kind of door? wood? iron-bound? does it have a latch or a metal handle or something? At a glance does it look old? new? strong? rotted?

And, I did see it starting to come back with 5e. In 3.5 or even 4e, a player might have a really good idea not only of his character's ability and how it worked, but of the likely difficulty (DC or other factors) of a possible action. In 5e, as in the classic game, you can't be so sure. Unlike in the olden days when DMs would often make up random resolution mechanics off the cuff (roll d20 under your stat, roll d20 you want high, roll d6 even/odd no I won't tell you which is good, roll every dice you own take that much damage, etc), you at least know that if there is going to be a mechanic invoked, it'll likely be a check, and you have a fair idea what stat and skill might apply (and thus what the mod on your side will be), but the DC (and maybe Adv/Dis) is entirely up to the DM.
While action declaration and resolution is a pretty tight ship, there's a little wiggle room in the first step - DM describes the situation. A picture's worth a thousand words & all, and there's no picture, so the DM may be giving some pretty substantial descriptions that may be hard to follow, so it's only natural for players to ask questions in this step to clarify and get an understanding of said situation appropriate to what their characters are simply taking in at a glance. It's not hard to fish for information about the best solution or the probable mechanical resolution involved (if any) of possible problems presented by that situation.

A DM failing to adequately describe the environment and present the basic scope of options invites questions from players.

A DM failing to repeat the play loop and describe the environment again as appropriate (reminding of the major points, plus anything that has changed or been revealed by previous action), including in combat challenges, does the same.

A player failing to adequately describe what he or she wants to do invites the DM to fill in the blanks with assumptions to which the player might then object, especially if it flies in the face of how he or she imagines the character or if there is an undesirable consequence as a result of the assumption.

Which goes back to my point in this and other threads: Everyone shares the same goal - to have fun and to create an exciting, memorable story as a result of play. But the DM and players have different roles and responsibilities in pursuit of that goal. Know your role and responsibility and perform it to the utmost of your ability and a lot of the sorts of problems you imagine go away. Fail to do so, or attempt to perform someone else's role, and that's when we may see these problems appear.

Celebrim

Legend

FREX:

An excellent example. The Search skill or acts of searching that use things like a Perception skill are troublesome because they leave vague the fictional positioning of the character.

The player's call "Is it Sturdy?" was treated as a proposition by the DM, and validated as an action which needed a resolution.

In fact, the problem was poor proposition filtering. The DM should have probably rejected the proposition ("You don't know.", "You can't tell.", "How do you plan to find out?") or at the very least assumed that since it was a call and not a proposition that the player should only be informed of what they can learn from passive observation. Either way, the DM should be prompting for a valid proposition - again, harkening to what others have called out as the "method" of the goal. We have a goal here from the call, but not a methodology.

This seems obvious in simple examples like this but in play properly figuring out what fictional positioning the player is in and what fictional positioning the player thinks that they are in, and getting them to match is very difficult and one of the most challenging tasks for a DM. I get them wrong all the time, and the only real good that has come out of it for me is that I'm very sensitive as a player to cases where I may not have the fictional positioning correct. I'm finding it's easier for a player than the DM to know when things are off, and be able to phrase things in such a way that we get back on the same page. But wow is it hard when you have a bunch of different players all of whom may be thinking in different ways and none of whom necessarily have any discipline with respect to what they are telling you. (It occurs to me, just in this moment, that aside from the large number of players at his table, this may be one of the reasons Gygax preferred to work with a leader/caller. The leader/caller was probably more disciplined in phrasing his propositions.)

Moreover, to really do this well you have to be disciplined about filtering in the situations that don't matter, so that you are less likely to have problems in the situations that do matter. The above situation likely comes about because in the past, players have called, "Is it sturdy?", and the DM responded, "You grab the handle and give it a few tugs. It seems solid and doesn't budge.", and neither party objected to it or realized the trouble that was brewing with that sort of process of play.

Finally, I've seen at least one player that deliberately tried to game and manipulate the DM in this way, by continually making vague propositions and if they didn't work out, demanding a retcon because the DM got his fictional positioning or his intended method wrong. Or he would say something like, "I was only thinking of doing that. I didn't say I actually would!" Essentially the way he played is he'd do vague calls and ask questions about mechanics, particularly calls concerning the outcome of potential proposition, until he'd get the DM to agree that if he were to make a proposition, this would be how it be resolved, and only when he was given little or no chance of failure would he then offer a proposition. And then if things didn't go the way he expected, he'd start up again.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
In fact, the problem was poor proposition filtering. The DM should have probably rejected the proposition ("You don't know.", "You can't tell.", "How do you plan to find out?") or at the very least assumed that since it was a call and not a proposition that the player should only be informed of what they can learn from passive observation. Either way, the DM should be prompting for a valid proposition
He did prompt for a 'valid proposition,' by killing off the character. Next time the player will ask for more details of what he has already noticed ('passive observation'), and only move on to methods of examination - very cautious, detailed methods he's found that DM tends to respond well to - after exhausting those avenues.

That's how DMs of old forged callow newbs into skilled, experienced players like the ones jayoungr is dealing with in this thread:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?659008-Want-to-shake-things-up-Doorways-Scouting-Caution

This seems obvious in simple examples like this but in play properly figuring out what fictional positioning the player is in and what fictional positioning the player thinks that they are in, and getting them to match
It seems simple (Steve* is a jerk, /simple/), until you start making up game-design jargon to describe the problem. ;) Then it starts getting a little arcane.

Seriously, though, that is an interesting way of formally articulating such a familiar problem.

* not you, Steve, some other, hypothetical, Steve, c1983. Sorry.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, "sink or swim" is one approach for educating new players.
Yep: if you swim, you're devoured by sharks (because everybody knows Great Whites hunt the surface and are drawn to splashing like an injured seal); if you sink, you find 10,000gp and a potion of water-breathing, that sank to the bottom as the sharks were eating all those other swimmers.

pemerton

Legend
In fact I encourage that sort of thing. The player has participated in world-building without changing the game state to gain advantage, and maybe even has given me some hooks for the future.
What's the objection to the player changing the game state to gain advantage? Isn't that something that good players try and do?

What in the fiction lets me, as GM, know how difficult this task will be? I don't see anything, which makes any DC set entirely arbitrary -- it can't be grounded in either mechanics or the fiction. This is the first problem.
It's never been clear to me exactly how a 5e GM is meant to decide that some action has an uncertain outcome, or not, and how the DC is to be set. You seem here to be suggesting "objective" DCs - in the sense that the difficulty corresponds to or reflects (roughly) the in-fiction causal processes. Similar to a process-sim type game and unlike (say) Dungeon World or 4e.

When I wondered whether this might be a problem that you're seeing in the example I put forward, I wasn't very sure that I was right to do so. So it's interesting to me to see you affirm that it is a problem.

Doing this would priviledge classes that have Expertise mechanics

<snip>

if we're talking about introduction of challenge solving fiction this kind of success rate is unacceptable, not to mention the class disparities.
This one's not as clear to me. I thought the point of expertise and similar class features is to make those classes the best at resolving non-combat problems through non-magical means. So if they're better at this, is that really a bad thing? (That would depend upon a skill check and not just a CHA check being required - I'm not sure there's a skill that pertains to the sort of thing I suggested, but maybe that's a less significant point.)

there's a scope difference between introducing off-screen fiction (Uncle Bob told me about trolls) and establishing fiction present in the current scene.
I can see this. I'm less clear, though, where the 5e Basic PDF explains this difference and how it's fundamental to the play of the game. See further below.

The rules are clear on who gets to say what. The player gets to write a background during character creation. The DM helps him or her tie various elements of the background to the campaign, saying yes to the player's ideas if the DM can and suggesting alterations when the DM can't. This is laid out in the DMG under "Master of Worlds," as if the title alone was insufficient to tell us who gets to decide what.

During play, the player gets to describe what he or she wants to do. To that end, saying that the guard is Frances, an old friend, is a valid action declaration. But the DM is under no obligation to accept that the guard is, in fact, Frances or an old friend or both because the player has no control over this aspect of the game. Non-player characters are controlled by the DM, as per the chapter on NPCs in the DMG.
Looking through the 5e Basic PDF, this is what I find on pp 2-3 (sblocked for length):

[sblock]The Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game is about storytelling in worlds of swords and sorcery. It shares elements with childhood games of make-believe. Like those games, D&D is driven by imagination. It’s about picturing the towering castle beneath the stormy night sky and imagining how a fantasy adventurer might react to the challenges that scene presents. . . .

Unlike a game of make-believe, D&D gives structure to the stories, a way of determining the consequences of the adventurers' action. Players roll dice to resolve whether their attacks hit or miss or whether their adventurers can scale a cliff, roll away from the strike of a magical lightning bolt, or pull off some other dangerous task. Anything is possible, but the dice make some outcomes more probable than others. . . .

In the Dungeons & Dragons game, each player creates an adventurer (also called a character) and teams up with other adventurers (played by friends). Working together, the group might explore a dark dungeon, a ruined city, a haunted castle, a lost temple deep in a jungle, or a lava-filled cavern beneath a mysterious mountain. The adventurers can solve puzzles, talk with other characters, battle fantastic monsters, and discover fabulous magic items and other treasure.

One player, however, takes on the role of the Dungeon Master (DM), the game’s lead storyteller and referee. The DM creates adventures for the characters, who navigate its hazards and decide which paths to explore. . . .

[T]he DM determines the results of the adventurers' actions and narrates what they experience. Because the DM can improvise to react to anything the players attempt, D&D is infinitely flexible, and each adventure can be exciting and unexpected. . . .

The play of the Dungeons & Dragons game unfolds according to this basic pattern.

1. The DM describes the environment. The DM tells the players where their adventurers are and what's around them, presenting the basic scope of options that
present themselves . . .

2. The players describe what they want to do. . . .

Sometimes, resolving a task is easy. . . . But [not always.] . . . In those cases, the DM decides what happens, often relying on the roll of a die to determine the results of an action.

3. The DM narrates the results of the adventurers' actions. Describing the results often leads to another decision point, which brings the flow of the game right
back to step 1.

This pattern holds whether the adventurers are cautiously exploring a ruin, talking to a devious prince, or locked in mortal combat against a mighty dragon.[/sblock]I find this rather reminiscent of Moldvay Basic. It's pretty clear as far as it goes. To me it seems to break down, though, as soon as we get into circumstances where the PCs are not strangers to the environment or the NPCs. If I'm playing my character, why do I need to the GM to tell me what I see in my own house? Or what my sister looks like?

Now it seems to me that there are some accepted cases in this general ballpark where the player gets to establish the environment. Eg if a player says "I'm looking in my backpack for my rope", I think even at many 5e tables it will be accepted accepted that the player establishes that there is a backpack, and what's in it, in virtue of having written up an equipment list. Page 4 of the Basic PDF perhaps indicates this by saying "Each character brings particular capabilities to the adventure in the form of ability scores and skills, class features, racial traits, equipment, and magic items."

But then the character sheet at the end of the Basic PDF not only has an entry for equipment but entries for PC backstory and for allies and organisations. And chapter 4 begins by saying that "Characters are defined by much more than their race and class. They're individuals with their own stories, interests, connections, and capabilities beyond those that class and race define. This chapter expounds on the details that distinguish characters from one another".

So how - other than by way of RPGing/D&D tradition - is the player meant to appreciate that non-equipment but nevertheless intimate elements of backstory don't break the basic pattern of play in the same way that equipment lists do? The clearest hint I can find in the Basic PDF is on p 36, under the heading "Backgrounds":

The most important question to ask about your background is what changed? Why did you stop doing whatever your background describes and start adventuring? Where did you get the money to purchase your starting gear, or, if you come from a wealthy background, why don’t you have more money? How did you learn the skills of your class? What sets you apart from ordinary people who share your background?​

This at least suggests that adventuring is in fact something that occurs apart from, indeed divorced from, the PC's backstory. This is reinforced by the references on pp 2 and 3 to towering castles beneath the stormy night sky, dark dungeons, ruined cities, haunted castles, lost temples deep in the jungle, and lava-filled caverns beneath mysterious mountains. And by the statement on p 4 that

an adventure features a fantastic setting, whether it's an underground dungeon, a crumbling castle, a stretch of wilderness, or a bustling city. It features a rich cast of characters: the adventurers created and played by the other players at the table, as well as nonplayer characters (NPCs). Those characters might be patrons, allies, enemies, hirelings, or just background extras in an adventure.​

Notably absent is the suggestion that NPCs might be friends, family or other people whom the PCs have connections with outside of the context of the adventure.

If adventuring is always or at least primarily undertaken in strange places among strange people, then the action declaration I suggested is never going to come up, which obviates the need to write a rule that deals with it.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Looking through the 5e Basic PDF, this is what I find on pp 2-3 (sblocked for length):

[sblock]The Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game is about storytelling in worlds of swords and sorcery. It shares elements with childhood games of make-believe. Like those games, D&D is driven by imagination. It’s about picturing the towering castle beneath the stormy night sky and imagining how a fantasy adventurer might react to the challenges that scene presents. . . .

Unlike a game of make-believe, D&D gives structure to the stories, a way of determining the consequences of the adventurers' action. Players roll dice to resolve whether their attacks hit or miss or whether their adventurers can scale a cliff, roll away from the strike of a magical lightning bolt, or pull off some other dangerous task. Anything is possible, but the dice make some outcomes more probable than others. . . .

In the Dungeons & Dragons game, each player creates an adventurer (also called a character) and teams up with other adventurers (played by friends). Working together, the group might explore a dark dungeon, a ruined city, a haunted castle, a lost temple deep in a jungle, or a lava-filled cavern beneath a mysterious mountain. The adventurers can solve puzzles, talk with other characters, battle fantastic monsters, and discover fabulous magic items and other treasure.

One player, however, takes on the role of the Dungeon Master (DM), the game’s lead storyteller and referee. The DM creates adventures for the characters, who navigate its hazards and decide which paths to explore. . . .

[T]he DM determines the results of the adventurers' actions and narrates what they experience. Because the DM can improvise to react to anything the players attempt, D&D is infinitely flexible, and each adventure can be exciting and unexpected. . . .

The play of the Dungeons & Dragons game unfolds according to this basic pattern.

1. The DM describes the environment. The DM tells the players where their adventurers are and what's around them, presenting the basic scope of options that
present themselves . . .

2. The players describe what they want to do. . . .

Sometimes, resolving a task is easy. . . . But [not always.] . . . In those cases, the DM decides what happens, often relying on the roll of a die to determine the results of an action.

3. The DM narrates the results of the adventurers' actions. Describing the results often leads to another decision point, which brings the flow of the game right
back to step 1.

This pattern holds whether the adventurers are cautiously exploring a ruin, talking to a devious prince, or locked in mortal combat against a mighty dragon.[/sblock]I find this rather reminiscent of Moldvay Basic. It's pretty clear as far as it goes. To me it seems to break down, though, as soon as we get into circumstances where the PCs are not strangers to the environment or the NPCs. If I'm playing my character, why do I need to the GM to tell me what I see in my own house? Or what my sister looks like?

I can't speak to what you need. I can only say what the rules say. During play, players describe what they want to do. That's all they may do.

Now it seems to me that there are some accepted cases in this general ballpark where the player gets to establish the environment. Eg if a player says "I'm looking in my backpack for my rope", I think even at many 5e tables it will be accepted accepted that the player establishes that there is a backpack, and what's in it, in virtue of having written up an equipment list. Page 4 of the Basic PDF perhaps indicates this by saying "Each character brings particular capabilities to the adventure in the form of ability scores and skills, class features, racial traits, equipment, and magic items."

But then the character sheet at the end of the Basic PDF not only has an entry for equipment but entries for PC backstory and for allies and organisations. And chapter 4 begins by saying that "Characters are defined by much more than their race and class. They're individuals with their own stories, interests, connections, and capabilities beyond those that class and race define. This chapter expounds on the details that distinguish characters from one another".

So how - other than by way of RPGing/D&D tradition - is the player meant to appreciate that non-equipment but nevertheless intimate elements of backstory don't break the basic pattern of play in the same way that equipment lists do? The clearest hint I can find in the Basic PDF is on p 36, under the heading "Backgrounds":

The most important question to ask about your background is what changed? Why did you stop doing whatever your background describes and start adventuring? Where did you get the money to purchase your starting gear, or, if you come from a wealthy background, why don’t you have more money? How did you learn the skills of your class? What sets you apart from ordinary people who share your background?​

This at least suggests that adventuring is in fact something that occurs apart from, indeed divorced from, the PC's backstory. This is reinforced by the references on pp 2 and 3 to towering castles beneath the stormy night sky, dark dungeons, ruined cities, haunted castles, lost temples deep in the jungle, and lava-filled caverns beneath mysterious mountains. And by the statement on p 4 that

an adventure features a fantastic setting, whether it's an underground dungeon, a crumbling castle, a stretch of wilderness, or a bustling city. It features a rich cast of characters: the adventurers created and played by the other players at the table, as well as nonplayer characters (NPCs). Those characters might be patrons, allies, enemies, hirelings, or just background extras in an adventure.​

Notably absent is the suggestion that NPCs might be friends, family or other people whom the PCs have connections with outside of the context of the adventure.

If adventuring is always or at least primarily undertaken in strange places among strange people, then the action declaration I suggested is never going to come up, which obviates the need to write a rule that deals with it.

If your conclusion is that you can refer to the guard as Frances and that the DM is under no obligation to change the world to suit your offer, then you have reached the correct conclusion as far as the rules are concerned. But honestly it's not entirely clear to me what you're driving at if that's not it.

Remove ads