What even is "Rules Medium"?

A Rules Medium is, of course, the Seer who looks beyond the RAW and into the deep aether of the norms and customs of the game.

A truly powerful Rules Medium can even talk with rules that have been long dead and tell you how those rules would apply today!
Some rules mediums claim to know what Gygax meant by a particular rule...they can just call him up and ask him, it seems.

Argyle King

Legend
I dont think rules medium is even a thing. I think folks have so much experience with D&D editions that its like second nature to jump into them. Thus, they consider it medium because they know it aint lite, but its easy (for them) to get into.

I partially agree with this.

A lot of things about D&D come second-nature to D&D players but aren't exactly intuitive to people outside of the D&D experience.

Anecdotally, I've found the following three things:
•Sometimes it's easier to teach a "heavier" non-D&D game to a new player than it is to teach a "light" or "medium" version of D&D.
•Sometimes, it is easier to teach a game to someone who has never played anything than it is to teach a new game to an experienced D&D player.
•A lot of game concepts which I take for granted, after years of playing, aren't as easy for others.

aco175

Legend
I would think that playing theatre of the mind (TotM) could be rules medium- at least for the combat pillar. There is a lot less rules needed when you can just narrate and play. "Am I close enough to sneak up and surprise this bad guy?" Sure. "I want to try to stay away from this monster and behind the fighter." Sure. No need to measure and check position.

But "Rules Medium" is often used and there isn't a clear definition.

For me, a rules medium game shouldn't just be somewhere between the two, but have some of the meaningful features of both.
But this is my definition and I'm well aware there are others.
I mean, you do you, but I think most people really just mean it as "something not, in my mind, specifically 'rules light' or 'rules heavy.'"

Aldarc

Legend
I dont think rules medium is even a thing. I think folks have so much experience with D&D editions that its like second nature to jump into them. Thus, they consider it medium because they know it aint lite, but its easy (for them) to get into.
I do think that D&D is "rules heavier" than a lot of people generally claim that it is, but I think that part of the reason for that is precisely what you suggest here. There is a tendency to gloss over D&D's crunch because a lot of it has become second nature. But it's a bit more obvious, IME, when bringing in people who are new to TTRPGs. There are definitely more new-player friendly games out there, again IME, because there are less moving parts.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
. . . I know what a rules light game is and I know what a rules heavy one is, and so do most of us. But "Rules Medium" is often used and there isn't a clear definition.
How about: when a game has from 100 to 200 rules? For reference, this one has 81.

Or when a game's quickstart rules exceed one page of reasonably-sized type?

I will agree with @Morrus that D&D5 is rules-medium, given that rules-light and rules-heavy are effectively comparisons to the current edition of D&D.

For me, a rules medium game shouldn't just be somewhere between the two, but have some of the meaningful features of both. . .
Let's stop you right there. That works, so let's choose from a mixture of:

Light
  • Can be played with 6 or fewer standard dice.
  • The rule book is needed to learn, but not play, the game.
  • Rules arguments are unlikely to erupt.
  • The quickstart rules (or full rules) take up one page or less.
  • The GM-shield features a full art spread. On both sides.
  • The game's rules number less than 100.

Heavy
  • Requires multiple sets of dice and/or special dice.
  • Missing a rule book means you are unable to play the game.
  • Everyone is willing and able to consult the rules, even after the GM has made her adjudication.
  • There are no quickstart rules.
  • The game makes regular use of "statistics." And "mechanics," because you know, things tend to break.
  • The game's rules number greater than 200 🤓

Lucas Yew

Explorer
For me, two boolean values would determine a rule's "weight"...

1. Is the dead tree core rulebooks(s) hardcover?
2. Does the game suggest rules over rulings?

If both are false, Rules Lite, else if both are true, Rules Heavy.
Naturally, if only one of those are false and the other is true, now that would be Rules Medium...

Remove ads