D&D 3E/3.5 What ever happened to Midnight?

QuestWise

Villager
Does anyone remember the Midnight Campaign Setting from back in the 3.0 / 3.5 D&D days? What ever happened to that? I remember it being an amazing setting that I would have thought someone would have brought over into 5e by now. Lots of great writing and filled with William O'Connor artwork.

Aldarc

Legend
A lot of these d20 settings, such as other settings like Morning Star and Dawnforge, remain in Limbo. There may not be enough interest from either the creators or the publishers to update the setting for 5e.

Nebulous

Legend
I bought nearly all that old Fantasy Flight Midnight stuff. It was fantastic. It probably wouldn't be too hard to convert it over to 5e. But as much as I loved it I ran it very little, I just liked the setting and mood so much that it evoked.

I really enjoyed the Midnight setting. It was such an interesting world, all pretty much derived from the concept "What would've happened if Sauron had one in Lord of the Rings?"

And their versions of the ranger and monk (uncoupled from Eastern tropes) were my favorites at the time.

GlassJaw

Hero
It was a great setting. It was apologetically "Lord of the Rings if Sauron won" but very well done and brought enough to the table to make it unique.

The toughest thing to convert would be the Heroic Paths, which aren't like the class paths in 5E. Instead they are universal paths that any character can take and grant additional abilities from levels 1-20.

GlassJaw

Hero
A lot of these d20 settings, such as other settings like Morning Star and Dawnforge, remain in Limbo. There may not be enough interest from either the creators or the publishers to update the setting for 5e.

It's also complicated by the fact that many of the d20 publishers either no longer exist or got out of the d20 game entirely - Mongoose, Fantasy Flight, etc, etc.

QuestWise

Villager
Hopefully they could find someone to buy the licensing for some of these games and bring them back to the forefront. The d20 era of 3.0 / 3.5 was both a blessing and a bane to the rpg community, IMO.

Nebulous

Legend
It was a great setting. It was apologetically "Lord of the Rings if Sauron won" but very well done and brought enough to the table to make it unique.

The toughest thing to convert would be the Heroic Paths, which aren't like the class paths in 5E. Instead they are universal paths that any character can take and grant additional abilities from levels 1-20.
Yeah, I forgot about those. You might need to strip out all the 3rd level class paths and replace them. I suppose an official 5e conversion would take more work than I thought at first.

GlassJaw

Hero
Yeah, I forgot about those. You might need to strip out all the 3rd level class paths and replace them. I suppose an official 5e conversion would take more work than I thought at first.

Nah, I wouldn't do that. They are meant to be additive to the classes. Midnight is also a harsh, low-magic campaign and the Heroic Paths are meant to compensate.

QuestWise

Villager
Nah, I wouldn't do that. They are meant to be additive to the classes. Midnight is also a harsh, low-magic campaign and the Heroic Paths are meant to compensate.
The world setting for Midnight setting might fit well into Low Fantasy Gaming rpg from PickPocket Press, though there is still that matter of trying to make the Heroic Paths fit...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases