• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What feats are "missing"?

Stormonu

Legend
In 4E, my low-strength Avenger could would a great sword effectively. I want a feat that does that somehow, so I can build this character.

How about?

Swift Striker

You gain +1 Dex. Also, choose one weapon. You gain proficiency with that weapon if you don't already have it. Finally, when using the named weapon it gains the Finesse trait.

Sitara

Explorer
Arcane Fire
Prerequisite: Ability to cast 3rd level Wizard spells, Evocation Arcane Tradition

Such is your skill with the arcane tradition of Evocation that you can disseminate and transform your prepared spells into raw magical fire, which you can hurl at your foes. For each spell of any level prepared that you burn as an action on your turn you gain 1d8 points of damage which you can fire at your foes as a ranged spell attack with a rage of 60ft. This attack is not subject to any resistance. Any target immune to magic however, will be unaffected by this attack.

You can burn a number of prepared spells equal to your level plus your spell casting modifier in a single turn. Any such prepared spells lost in this manner are recovered in the usual manner.

Example: Baelon the Black is a 9th level Evoker with an intelligence of 16. Upon facing an Ettin that seeks to harm him, Baelon decides to use Arcane Fire upon the unfortunate creature before it can close in and harm him. He burns all 12 of his prepared spells and makes a ranged spell attack at the Ettin that does 12D8 points of damage.

beej

Explorer
How about?

Swift Striker

You gain +1 Dex. Also, choose one weapon. You gain proficiency with that weapon if you don't already have it. Finally, when using the named weapon it gains the Finesse trait.

That's a hammer-wielding anime girl waiting to happen.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, mind you. I like hammer-wielding magic girl warlocks. :D

Li Shenron

Legend
OK, missing is the wrong word. However, to help those who want to try their hands a designing a feat or two, what feats (concept-wise) do you feel are missing, if any?

Considering the design space for feats is unlimited, I'd say practically all feats are still missing :cool:

Mostly, I would go back to past editions, browse the list of optional materials for character concepts (e.g. prestige classes), try to 'distill' that material down to one or more elementary abilities, adapt it to 5e rules and bounded accuracy, and if it's roughly worth as a feat then so be it, otherwise make multiple feats.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
How about?

Swift Striker

Hmmm. If the goal is an unarmored character with a 2h weapon, might I ask what's wrong with a level of barbarian? That plus avenger paladin would seem to fit the bill already.

Goemoe

Explorer
Hiya.

Feats in 5e are about granting exceptions, primarily, with sometimes granting a minor bonus. As 5e's "bounded accuracy" works now, any feat created must take this into primary consideration! If we end up with a half-dozen feats that all basically do the same thing ("Gives +1 to hit with X"), we will end up in the same boat that 3.x/PF is in (or, more likely, far, far worse...). We'll end up with "Fighter" and then we'll end up with "Fighter (Brute-Stabber-Build). The Fighter will have +5 th and +9 damage, but the BSB fighter will end up with +9 th and +16 damage with all attacks at advantage, at double range, and triple the normal critical range because of all the "feat stacking".

Don't. Do. That.
/signed

We don't need exceptions by feats to add single class features to different classes. When you want to mix, go multiclass. We don't need finesse added to non finesse weapons only to get sneak attacks with hammers and great swords.

As for the topic, some further mage related feats would be nice. Something for bows would be great too. We have the 'Healer' , why not adding feats to specialize in knowledge, movement or other skills?

But tbh, give me the DMG first and after that lets talk about further content :cool:

Eejit

First Post
Since there's only one feat with +1 to Charisma (Actor) perhaps another?

Charmer
  • Increase your Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
  • Your flirtatious manner gives you advantage on Charisma (Persuasion) and Charisma (Deception) checks made against an individual who is attracted to members of your sex.

Last edited:

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
A feat to gain Channel Divinity.

A feat to gain Metamagic.
As long as they're watered down versions like Martial Adept, I wouldn't have a problem with this. But if they're full versions then... yeah... nah. And also, like Martial Adept, it would have to be beneficial to the class from which it was taken. Martial Adept is actually a good thing for a Battle Master to take, giving two extra manoeuvres and one extra (full) superiority die.

brehobit

Explorer
I think feats are likely the hardest thing to design in the game. You want things that not everyone (or even each member of class X) would want or feel they need. You also want something that "anyone watching the game for an hour would realize who has what feat(s)".

Charmer I like, but I don't know that it hits the "know who has what" bar. It would be nice if it did something other than grant advantage, but I've no idea what. Maybe something like the 3e bard fascinate? Still unlikely to come up during a dungeon crawl, but I think it would do.

Humm, I've thought of a few, I'll add them to the database.

Remove ads