D&D 5E What Force Damage Tastes Like

Heavy3p0

First Post
"The Magic Missile slams into the orcs shoulder, leaving a finger sized hole of flesh no longer there, no cauterizing burns or rent flesh. Nerves scream in shock and pain at the sudden non-existence of their ends. Veins lie open to the world, pumping blood unimpeded through the magically created aperture."

Sounds good to me Fralex!

Wik

First Post
I think of force energy in the same way I think of Mana-based energy in Shadowrun.

Basically, in SR, creatures exist on an astral and physical plane. Some creatures are stronger on one plane over the other (for example, mundane folk have more of a presence on the physical plane; ghosts exist almost entirely on the astral plane). Objects do not really exist on the astral plane, but have a sort of "shadow" that can be seen from the astral; likewise, there are some "objects" on the astral plane that can be sort of seen in the physical plane.

That this means is that it's pretty easy for an astrally-awakened character (ie, many spell-casters) to astrally perceive and project his consciousness beyond any sort of physical wall blocking him. Corporations have got wise to this, and created living mosses that act as walls in both the physical and astral realms, to keep casters out.

Anyways.

In Shadowrun, spells are defined as either being physical, or mana-based. A physical spell moves through physical space before striking its target. A mana spell, however, does not.

What this means is that a physical fireball can be dodged by ducking behind a wall. But a mana-bolt will go right through that wall and hit you.

So, using this, a force-based spell in D&D isn't actually moving in physical space at all. It is moving through another plane (the ethereal, maybe?) and hitting your shadow form there, in pure concussive manner. It'd sort of feel like bludgeoning damage, but it wouldn't leave a mark at first. I imagine a few hours later, though, it'd leave a helluva big bruise.

This is also why force spells can hit incorporeal creatures... because they're corporeal on the plane that the force spell primarily functions from.

Forgember

Explorer
It is pure magic. A fireball or lightning bolt or thunderwave is Magic manifesting the physical world to do harm, by harnessing fire, lightning, sound waves to inflict its damage. Force damage is when the corporeal world and its constituent elements are bypassed entirely and magic itself hits you in the face.
There is no simile for it, it just is.

It is capable of damaging the incorporeal because it exists at once in the physical and the metaphysical worlds.

What does it feel like to be struck by force damage?
How does a handshake smell? What colour is a decision? What shape is a quandary?

That's what force damage is.

This

Fralex

Explorer
It is pure magic. A fireball or lightning bolt or thunderwave is Magic manifesting the physical world to do harm, by harnessing fire, lightning, sound waves to inflict its damage. Force damage is when the corporeal world and its constituent elements are bypassed entirely and magic itself hits you in the face.
There is no simile for it, it just is.

It is capable of damaging the incorporeal because it exists at once in the physical and the metaphysical worlds.

What does it feel like to be struck by force damage?
How does a handshake smell? What colour is a decision? What shape is a quandary?

That's what force damage is.

While that is a good way to interpret it, damage that is inherently impossible to describe makes it feel very generic. "The magic missile slams into you, and in a way I can't explain or comprehend, you lose 4 hit points," isn't that interesting story-wise.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
While that is a good way to interpret it, damage that is inherently impossible to describe makes it feel very generic. "The magic missile slams into you, and in a way I can't explain or comprehend, you lose 4 hit points," isn't that interesting story-wise.

It is generic...that's the point. It's generic "magic energy." It's not magic that is making thunder (kinetic) energy. It's not magic that is making fire/heat. It's not radiant/positive energy. It's not necrotic/negative. It's not lightning/electricity. It's not ice/cold. It's not psychic.

It's a little bit of everything. It is magic energy. So you get a little push (phsyical/thunder and mental/psychic). You get a little burn (fire and ice). You get a little burst of light and charged shock (radiant/lightning) and some pain (necrotic + all of the above).

Basically, you gets a bolt of colored light and an "all-in-one energy" jab. Maybe a little wisp of smoke or a little scorch mark from some "energized/excited atoms rapidly moving from bolt. But you're not going to start any fires...or create any ice...or hear any thunder booms.

It's that "Chshoo Pshh" we all used as kids to play make believe. You know the one. For general sound effect for spells, explosions, lasers or light sabers...

[It's what we did before the internet...Don't judge!]

Fralex

Explorer
It is generic...that's the point. It's generic "magic energy." It's not magic that is making thunder (kinetic) energy. It's not magic that is making fire/heat. It's not radiant/positive energy. It's not necrotic/negative. It's not lightning/electricity. It's not ice/cold. It's not psychic.

It's a little bit of everything. It is magic energy. So you get a little push (phsyical/thunder and mental/psychic). You get a little burn (fire and ice). You get a little burst of light and charged shock (radiant/lightning) and some pain (necrotic + all of the above).

Basically, you gets a bolt of colored light and an "all-in-one energy" jab. Maybe a little wisp of smoke or a little scorch mark from some "energized/excited atoms rapidly moving from bolt. But you're not going to start any fires...or create any ice...or hear any thunder booms.

It's that "Chshoo Pshh" we all used as kids to play make believe. You know the one. For general sound effect for spells, explosions, lasers or light sabers...

[It's what we did before the internet...Don't judge!]

An all-in-one damage is kind of a cool way to think of it. I think I prefer to imagine it as its own unique thing, though.

Some sort of electromagnetic phenomena? It can't be light, because that appears to be radiant damage. But that leaves microwave/x-ray damage...

Consult a cleric if you spot any unusual moles or spots after being exposed to magic missiles.

MG.0

First Post
It's kind of hard to compare raw magical energy to anything since in reality there is nothing to compare it to...

I like the idea that it is everything and anything, mutable and unknowable. Perhaps it is never the same twice, or perhaps each spell effect is unique. Perhaps a magic missile feels completely different from an eldritch blast.

One thing that bothers me is I see no reason for thunder to be a damage type...it's the same as bludgeoning, but with air. Pointless IMHO.

Edit: I like Jester Canuck's take that force whould be folded into the non-magical damages bludeoning/piercing/slashing depending on the form the magical attack takes. I suppose it is separate just to keep it easy to track what things have resistance/vulnerability/immunity to magical attacks.

Last edited:

Remove ads