D&D 5E What homebrew rules are you using for level advancement?

TheSwartz

Explorer
I believe that the base rule of only requiring sufficient XP unsatisfying for allowing PC level advancement, and I've been reading through the 1st ed and 2nd ed DMGs for some guidance.

One pertinent quote from Gygax in the 1e DMG:

Experience points are merely an indicator of the character’s progress towards greater proficiency in his or her chosen profession. UPWARD PROGRESS IS NEVER AUTOMATIC.

That sounds cool, however, if you go on further to read the mechanics on how he does this in 1e, it is very cumbersome and honestly even I don't think that sounds fun (specifically with the grading, although I do believe I see the point of it).

Yet, I like the general nature of level advancement in the 2e PHB page 117:

Even when a character has earned enough experience to attain the next level, the DM may not allow immediate advancement. He may require the character to receive training to advance. When training, a character studies his skills under a tutor, taking the raw knowledge he has gained and honing it into measurable improvement. On the average, this takes a few weeks (depending on the tutor’s ability), and it is normally done during the character’s nonadventuring time.

A DM can also rule that the circumstances are not appropriate for the character to advance in level, such as when the game session ends with the characters deep in an abandoned mine complex. The party has just finished a battle with a band of gnolls and faces more such encounters before it can reach the surface. The DM rules that the characters receive no experience until they leave the mines, because he doesn’t want them to increase in level in the middle of the adventure. He is perfectly justified in doing this. And if the characters live through the adventure, they will undoubtedly profit from it, either in experience points or knowledge gained.

And then, in the 2e DMG, it's clear that adding anything to level advancement is purely optional, the times and gold requirements are a better, and there is no grading. However I still find it cumbersome with ill defined ability checks, etc.

I don't have a 3e or 3.5e PHB/DMG to review and I'm certain that if I look in my 4e books it just says "step 1: get XP and then step 2: Ding" which is exactly what I want to avoid.

Does anyone have some basic rules they're using that takes into account some sort of training and cost associated with level advancement that is reasonable, has flavor, and is still fun without being cumbersome and feeling like your PCs will be taking long sabbaticals every other game?

I've already started introducing potential trainers into the game. I'm thinking to modify the 2e DMG optional rules and taking out some of the ability checks. And, furthermore making it clear that the PC can "train" any time during the level, doesn't have to just be after they've accumulated enough XP for the next level.

I would sure like to see a 5e Unearthed Arcana on this! {are you listening Mearls??}

Thanks!

TheSwartz

Explorer
This is what I'm currently considering

Requirements for level advancement:
1. Meet the experience point requirement to gain the next level (5e PHB p 15)
2. Complete a long rest (5e PHB p186, errata v1)
3. Have no levels of exhaustion (5e PHB p 291)
4. Cannot be under the effect of any conditions (PHB pp 290-292)
5. Starting at level 3, complete training with a tutor, instructor or mentor (as outlined in the 2e DMG p 71). Note: this can be done at any time during the current level and does not need to be one continuous session.

ccs

41st lv DM
In the 5e game I DM we're playing The Mummy's Mask (a PF AP, just converted as needed to 5e). I'm just following the milestone system outlined at the beginning of each module. No actual XP handed out. Seems to be working just fine.

hejtmane

Explorer
Maybe I am weird I do not worry about it to much; but I reward xp for things other than always killing the monster; I give xp for talking yourself out of a fight or sneaking in and grabbing something and getting away and other scenarios. Why does xp only have to be about killing monsters and how much treasure you get ?

TheSwartz

Explorer
In the 5e game I DM we're playing The Mummy's Mask (a PF AP, just converted as needed to 5e). I'm just following the milestone system outlined at the beginning of each module. No actual XP handed out. Seems to be working just fine.

Actually, I like a milestone system. And, I think that solves some of this feel of an arbitrary leveling up that I described above. However, every single player in my group didn't like it when we did that in our first campaign!

So, on to my second official campaign, and so trying something new!

Maybe I am weird I do not worry about it to much; but I reward xp for things other than always killing the monster; I give xp for talking yourself out of a fight or sneaking in and grabbing something and getting away and other scenarios. Why does xp only have to be about killing monsters and how much treasure you get ?

I absolutely agree. Thus, so far, I've given XP for killing monsters (obviously), but also for turning monsters into allies (gave same XP as if they killed it), completing "quests", for solving puzzles or traps, and I gave XP for doing "good" things (they are primarily a "good" aligned party). In addition I've subtracted XP for doing "Evil" things and any NPCs in the group share the XP. If they do something really, really stupid, I'll probably subtract for that too!

patwil

First Post
Actually, I like a milestone system. And, I think that solves some of this feel of an arbitrary leveling up that I described above. However, every single player in my group didn't like it when we did that in our first campaign!

That last line I would heavily consider when choosing how you'll let players advance - one of the reasons I believe WoW became so popular was the easy and quick advancement. It was also cool in the middle of a quest to have the "ding" and bright light shining on you when you advance.

There are elements in the game I lean more towards realism, but advancement is not one of them. That being said, this is something I would defer to the group to see what they want.

Patrick

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Li Shenron

Legend
I have used quest-based XP instead of encounter-based XP for a long time, but currently I have reverted back to more or less the standard rules, except that I am typically rounding the XP values.

No training rules however, unless I am running a game in Rokugan, in which practically everything has to be learned from a teacher, but in that case training is handled narratively, not mechanically.

While I always give XP immediately, I also use the rule of thumb that levelling up happens on a long rest.

Mallus

Legend
Here's my rule: PCs gain a level whenever the Hell I say they do. Everyone is the same level. I'm been using this for the past 3 editions.

However, when my group and I took a 2 year foray back into the AD&D our our collective youth, I tallied each & every XP for the sheer, tedious, nostalgic fun of it.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
As with many game mechanics, I like for it to speak to the theme of the game.

My friend is starting a D&D 5e game with a pirates theme. He asked for suggestions on how to do the XP component. I told him to reinforce the theme by having 1 gp = 1 xp. But only if you bury the gold. So now you can imagine that we will adventure with accumulating the most gold as our goal and at some point have to go bury some of it in order to level up. This becomes both an incentive to adventure and a way to get rid of excess character wealth. It's also on theme.

Therefore, I would suggest telling us the general theme of your new campaign and perhaps we can come up with something that speaks to it.

Remove ads