D&D 5E What if 15 equaled 20???

Horwath

Legend
Yeah, that's more or less how Storyteller (White Wolf) games work. If you have 0 dots in something, you're garbage at it, perhaps even taking a penalty (e.g. rolling one less than your Strength if you have 0 Athletics or whatever). If you have 5 dots, you are the peak of human performance; anything beyond 5 dots is necessarily supernatural in one way or another.

E.g. as a werewolf in Crinos or "war" form--the full blend of man and wolf--my character has 8 dots of Strength, making him well beyond what even the most physically fit and trained human could ever achieve. However, that only gives him a total of 10 dice for Strength+Athletics rolls, as he only has two dots of Athletics, which means that his supernatural abilities "only" put him in the realm of the absolute top-tier human with maximum natural Strength and Athletics training. Should he train up Athletics and Strength further, he could potentially get to the point of rolling 14 dice for a Strength+Athletics check in Crinos form, which is...a lot. That's just a lot of dice. Even at, say, difficulty 9 (so you need a 9 or 10 to succeed), you'd have a 67% chance to succeed without pulling in any other bonuses, which is really damn high (and you'd only have a 3.75% chance to botch, aka critically fail, which is very low.)

Worth noting: you can normally only have 0 dots in the various "skill-like" things (called Abilities), not the various "stat-like" things (called Attributes.) The idea generally being that most living people have at least a certain minimum competence with all the various things. Being genuinely incompetent at baseline abilities is a major penalty, usually coming from some kind of debility or supernatural influence. E.g. your Charisma is 0 for the purpose of interacting with non-werewolves while in Crinos form, because you are a literally supernaturally-terrifying monster.
In WoD it's score of 2 average, so you have only 3 steps from average Joe to pinnacle of humanity.

but when you roll one dice per attribute, I guess that low end has to be some number above 0.
with adding to the roll a fixed number, you can start with 0.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
In WoD it's score of 2 average, so you have only 3 steps from average Joe to pinnacle of humanity.

but when you roll one dice per attribute, I guess that low end has to be some number above 0.
with adding to the roll a fixed number, you can start with 0.
Depends on which WoD you mean, surely? Having 1 dot isn't good, it's "bare minimum competence." Someone with 1 Strength is weak, but still physically capable. Someone with 0 Strength is outright disabled when it comes to physical actions. I would absolutely consider that to be "1 dot is +0, you don't get any benefits but you aren't penalized either." 2 dots and above is "you are actually competent at this." 0 dots means you either have no knowledge of how to do it (Abilities) or are pretty much literally incapable of stuff in that general category of action (Attributes.)

Yaarel

He Mage
In a 5e context, within bonded accuracy, something like:

ABILITY
6: Epic
5: Super human
4: Peak human
3: Exceptional
2: Above average
1: Average
0: Below average

STR AND CON PREREQS: SIZE
9: Gargantuan
7: Huge
5: Large
3: Medium (heavyweght)
1: Medium (lightweight)
-1: Small

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yeah, that's more or less how Storyteller (White Wolf) games work.
Yep. Shadowrun worked similarly.

But with those games 1 is lowest for "abilities", but "skills, etc." could be 0.

I saw a the close parallel to the modifiers in 5E a while back, but don't think D&D would move to the "dot" system (although I find it superior in many ways...).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
In a 5e context, within bonded accuracy, something like:

ABILITY
6: Epic
5: Super human
4: Peak human
3: Exceptional
2: Above average
1: Average
0: Below average

STR AND CON PREREQS: SIZE
9: Gargantuan
7: Huge
5: Large
3: Medium (heavyweght)
1: Medium (lightweight)
-1: Small
I always equated Intelligent with IQ standard deviations:

0 - 85
1 - 100
2 - 115
3 - 130
4 - 145 (genius)
5 - 160
etc.

In Shadowrun, 6 was the normal cap, but "exceptional" people could go as high as 9. It is much the same in White Wolf systems, but with 5 being normal human maximum and 10 (IIRC the highest).

Yaarel

He Mage
I always equated Intelligent with IQ standard deviations:

0 - 85
1 - 100
2 - 115
3 - 130
4 - 145 (genius)
5 - 160
etc.

In Shadowrun, 6 was the normal cap, but "exceptional" people could go as high as 9. It is much the same in White Wolf systems, but with 5 being normal human maximum and 10 (IIRC the highest).

Yeah, I had that in mind, for a sense of rating. Here were my numbers.

5: 180
4: 160
3: 140
2: 120
1: 100
0: 80

Remove ads