• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) What if an array is the default?

No thanks. Default = roll. :)
Still doable.

The array is mostly a measure to set the tone. Essentially a typical statblock.

But a player can easily use the 8+2d4 dice instead.

The array gives every player a 16, 15, and 14, in other words, a good score in every important ability. Even if an other player at the same table rolls straight 16s for all six abilities, the character wont be that much more powerful than the default array.

So the default can be the array − and at the same time − any player who chooses to can roll.

G

Guest 6801328

I often thought there should be several arrays, and you pick whichever flavor you want. The ones that have the highest numbers (e.g. 18?) have the fewest overall points.

So there's:
  • "Jack of all trades" (most overall points, nothing over 14)
  • "Great at one thing" (an 18)
  • "The two primary stat build" (two 15's or 16's)
  • "standard array"
  • etc....

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I often thought there should be several arrays, and you pick whichever flavor you want. The ones that have the highest numbers (e.g. 18?) have the fewest overall points.

So there's:
  • "Jack of all trades" (most overall points, nothing over 14)
  • "Great at one thing" (an 18)
  • "The two primary stat build" (two 15's or 16's)
  • "standard array"
  • etc....
Isn’t that just point buy with less flexibility?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Still doable.

The array is mostly a measure to set the tone. Essentially a typical statblock.

But a player can easily use the 8+2d4 dice instead.

The array gives every player a 16, 15, and 14, in other words, a good score in every important ability. Even if an other player at the same table rolls straight 16s for all six abilities, the character wont be that much more powerful than the default array.

So the default can be the array − and at the same time − any player who chooses to can roll.
I still can't start with a 7. 8+2d4 means my stats will all be in the 10-16 range - which is fine, but narrow.

That shrinks the design space for feats, as "+1 stat, and some other benefits" now don't work.
If the game was going to go with ability bonuses,
it is possible to choose between a +1 bonus and: one feat, or two halffeats, or eight proficiencies/cantrips, or one halffeat and four proficiencies.

The design space would remain the same.

Last edited:

I still can't start with a 7. 8+2d4 means my stats will all be in the 10-16 range - which is fine, but narrow.
8+2d4 generates nice numbers. Its 10-16 range keeps it comparable to players using the array, thus keeps the player characters balanced with each other.

Because of this balance, even when the array is default, it is possible to also have the 8+2d4 formula be a default option at the same time, for players that want it. The characters remain comparable.

By contrast, 4d6dropLowest, or maybe 6+2d6, generates player characters that are less balanced compared to each other. Because of this imbalance, it would better with special DM permission and the all the players on board with imbalance. If a table wants to do it, it is doable. Even then, the array remains a viable choice alongside those who are rolling.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
By contrast, 4d6dropLowest, or maybe 6+2d6, generates player characters that are less balanced compared to each other. Because of this imbalance, it would better with special DM permission and the all the players on board with imbalance. If a table wants to do it, it is doable. Even then, the array remains a viable choice alongside those who are rolling.
Not something I care about all that much. Over the long run the cream tends to rise to the top, and when a character with poor stats does make a good go of it it's worth celebrating.

Then again, I probably expect far more character turnover in my games than modern norms would accept. :)

Remove ads