D&D General What if Hit Points were the currency of the game rules?

Xeviat

Hero
Yeh its in there already just not so explicit or universal. And I am looking at an Exertion Meta-maneuver for the fighter that is basically make a con save or lose X hit points to gain an extra attack or apply a CS die maneuver to your subsequent attack this turn ie explicit.

I was playing with designing a system based around resource expenditure and allocation. I had a mind to set it up with poker chips too. Characters would/could have the following resources:

HP (Health Points, red): These are your base health.
VP (Vitality Points, green): These are your endurance. Warriors and the like rely upon these to power things like running, power attacks, and dodges. You can often spend VP to avoid taking a hit to your health by blocking or dodging actively. VP are restored a bit each round.
MP (Magic Points, blue): These power your magic. Not everyone has MP. MP are used to power spells. You could spend MP to restore HP or VP. MP are restored by an amount with an action to refocus.
SP (Skill Points, white): These are used for skills and techniques. You do not spend skill points, you allocate them. Things like stances and fancy maneuvers, feints or showy acts of intimidation. Some maneuvers "cost" SP, but they are restored at the start of your turn. Other maneuvers hold onto the SP until you reallocate them elsewhere (like stances).
AP (Action Points, black): These are your hero point type thing, metagame resource spent to influence the narrative.

Spending "HP" to not die, or spending spell slots to regain HP, kind of works in the same circle.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I was playing with designing a system based around resource expenditure and allocation. I had a mind to set it up with poker chips too. Characters would/could have the following resources:

HP (Health Points, red): These are your base health.
VP (Vitality Points, green): These are your endurance. Warriors and the like rely upon these to power things like running, power attacks, and dodges. You can often spend VP to avoid taking a hit to your health by blocking or dodging actively. VP are restored a bit each round.
MP (Magic Points, blue): These power your magic. Not everyone has MP. MP are used to power spells. You could spend MP to restore HP or VP. MP are restored by an amount with an action to refocus.
SP (Skill Points, white): These are used for skills and techniques. You do not spend skill points, you allocate them. Things like stances and fancy maneuvers, feints or showy acts of intimidation. Some maneuvers "cost" SP, but they are restored at the start of your turn. Other maneuvers hold onto the SP until you reallocate them elsewhere (like stances).
AP (Action Points, black): These are your hero point type thing, metagame resource spent to influence the narrative.

Spending "HP" to not die, or spending spell slots to regain HP, kind of works in the same circle.
That is a lot of point trackin...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases