D&D 5E What interupts a long rest?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
@clearstream and @Rune: are we at least in agreement that a character must accumulate 8 hours of downtime to complete a long rest, even if we radically disagree about what "downtime" means?

If so, can we also agree that you successfully complete a long rest if you accumulate eight hours of downtime (including six hours of sleep) before you accumulate one hour of Strenuous Activity?

Personally I'm ok with a few extra words for clarity, both because it's not a technical document and because when writing errata it makes sense to err on the side of redundancy.

Additionally, it seems more likely to me that the designers used a few extra words for clarity than the idea that they wrote two lists intended to be merely examples (in the same sentence) but only included the necessary language "such as" in one of them.

Finally, your interpretation lets Strenuous Activity counts as downtime. Given that Strenuous Activity would not be included in downtime in natural language, your interpretation requires treating "downtime" as jargon. Although the designers were wildly inconsistent with the use of natural language vs jargon, I'm still going to favor an interpretation that lets terms keep their natural meaning.
Ok, so you seem to be interpreting a long rest as consisting of two categories of activity: “downtime” (which includes sleeping and light activity), and “adventuring activity” (which includes fighting, casting spells, and walking.) Under your interpretation, to complete a long rest you must engage in at least 8 hours of downtime, 6 hours of which must be sleep, and can’t engage in more than 1 hour of adventuring activity. I find this interpretation awkward in a couple of ways: first of all, despite your attempt to treat downtime as a single category of activity, this reading still requires breaking that category up into two subcategories: sleeping and light activity, since one of those subcategories has a minimum requirement, while the other has a maximum. Additionally, as I pointed out before, if these are subcategories of the broader category “downtime,” then it isn’t actually necessary to state the maximum amount of the “light activity” subcategory; that maximum will naturally emerge from the 8 hours of required “downtime” combined with the 6 hour minimum of “sleep.” Furthermore, this renders the “at least” in “a period of downtime, at least 8 hours long” not only redundant but factually incorrect. Under this interpretation, it’s actually impossible to engage in a period of downtime longer than 8 hours without completing a long rest partway through it.

I am interpreting a long rest as consisting of three categories of activity: sleeping, “light activity” (which includes reading, talking, eating, and standing watch), and “adventuring activity” (which includes fighting, casting spells, and walking.) In order to complete a long rest, you must complete at least 8 hours engaging in some combination of these three activities, at least 6 hours of which must be “sleeping,” no more than 2 hours of which mat be “light activity,” and no more than 1 hour of which may be “adventuring activity.” This makes it possible for a long rest that includes some amount of adventuring activity to take more than 8 hours to complete, justifying the “at least” portion, though admittedly in doing so it does appear to include fighting in what it describes as “a period of downtime.” I am inclined to suspect this is the unintentional result of using casual language to describe the 8+ hour period. In other words, I suspect they are being overly casual with their use of the word “downtime” rather than intentionally using it to define a category of activity, comprised of two subcategories.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think next time I get to play I'm going to tell the DM that 45 minutes before we stop for the night that I'm entering my long rest. I'll let you know how that works out, even though it matches RAI. :p

Charlaquin

I think next time I get to play I'm going to tell the DM that 45 minutes before we stop for the night that I'm entering my long rest. I'll let you know how that works out, even though it matches RAI. :p
Given your play preferences, I imagine any DM you would enjoy playing wouldn’t allow that. And that’s fine, it’s good that you play with people with similar tastes to you. However, there are other DMs who would allow it. Heck, I’d allow it, though I would caution the player that they will have to start the rest over if they aren’t settled within an hour and sleeping within three, and that they’re likely to have the rest ruined if they get attacked in their sleep, since they’re using up their allotted adventuring activity now.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Given your play preferences, I imagine any DM you would enjoy playing wouldn’t allow that. And that’s fine, it’s good that you play with people with similar tastes to you. However, there are other DMs who would allow it. Heck, I’d allow it, though I would caution the player that they will have to start the rest over if they aren’t settled within an hour and sleeping within three, and that they’re likely to have the rest ruined if they get attacked in their sleep, since they’re using up their allotted adventuring activity now.
It fits with RAI, but I don't think starting your rest while still adventuring conforms to RIS(rules in spirit). The rest section implies that it would like it to be an actually non-interruption interruption that happens during downtime.

Well, if we're going to go full on rules lawyer...

The rules allow you to be "interrupted" by strenuous activity. This requires you to start the long rest first, in order to be later interrupted. You can't start the rest during a period of activity. So you'll have to hunker down, get settled once, then continue with your 45 minutes of activity before settling down again.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

The rules allow you to be "interrupted" by strenuous activity. This requires you to start the long rest first, in order to be later interrupted. You can't start the rest during a period of activity. So you'll have to hunker down, get settled once, then continue with your 45 minutes of activity before settling down again.
So I sit on my butt for a moment, start the rest and then get back up. As I said above, it violates the spirit, but completely fits RAI and for some here, RAW.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Sure you can. Heroes in movies slow their falls by grabbing at things all the time. Or they get lucky and land in something softer than the ground. Good thing there was that pile of leaves at the bottom of this pit. Got lucky that time.
Yeah, at this point it's just grasping at straws to try to come up with "reasonable" explanations for such things. Sure, a dragon dropped you from a mile in the air onto the hard, rock-covered plains below, but a mattress just appeared below you! Boy are you lucky. No broken bones! Just 120 points of damage.

Yeah, hit points--like a lot of other things in D&D and other RPGs--are just one of those absurd things we all have to accept when we play. Like yeah, sleeping for three hours, suddenly engaging in hard activity for 599 rounds, and then continuing to sleep for another three hours. It makes just as much sense.

There was a thread about how awful a group was to loot the body while the combat was still underway. Maybe the players just initiated their Long Rest and took the light activity of looting the bodies and would be resuming the fight on the next round?

Charlaquin

There was a thread about how awful a group was to loot the body while the combat was still underway. Maybe the players just initiated their Long Rest and took the light activity of looting the bodies and would be resuming the fight on the next round?
That doesn’t track. “Light activity” isn’t part of the combat rules, and also no rule prevents you from looting bodies during combat. It’s just a bad idea because you’re liable to be killed by your enemies while you do so.

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
The only thing the lack of "such as" tells us is that they didn't bother to list anything that happens during downtime, but doesn't rise to the level of light or strenuous. There would be no need to list those things OR use wording such as "such as," because all lesser things are aleady included in the phrase "...does nothing more strenuous than...". Staring at the stars is not more strenuous(or even as strenuous) than light activity. It is downtime, though, and it is included in things you can do during a long rest.

I think we might still be looking at different versions. In the errata document I'm looking at the phrase "does nothing more strenuous than" doesn't appear anywhere. Here's what I understand to be the most-current version (as of the 12th printing of the PHB):

A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps for at least 6 hours and performs no more than 2 hours of light activity, such as reading, talking, eating, or standing watch. If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity—at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting spells, or similar adventuring activity—the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it.

Without "does nothing more strenuous than" or "such as" or some other language indicating that the list of things that adventurers do during downtime (i.e. "sleep" and "light activity") is non-exclusive, I can't agree that there must be other types of activities that qualify as downtime. That's especially true since the designers did use "such as" later in the same sentence when describing non-exclusive examples of the sorts of activity that qualifies as "light activity".

Ok, so you seem to be interpreting a long rest as consisting of two categories of activity: “downtime” (which includes sleeping and light activity), and “adventuring activity” (which includes fighting, casting spells, and walking.) Under your interpretation, to complete a long rest you must engage in at least 8 hours of downtime, 6 hours of which must be sleep, and can’t engage in more than 1 hour of adventuring activity. I find this interpretation awkward in a couple of ways: first of all, despite your attempt to treat downtime as a single category of activity, this reading still requires breaking that category up into two subcategories: sleeping and light activity, since one of those subcategories has a minimum requirement, while the other has a maximum. Additionally, as I pointed out before, if these are subcategories of the broader category “downtime,” then it isn’t actually necessary to state the maximum amount of the “light activity” subcategory; that maximum will naturally emerge from the 8 hours of required “downtime” combined with the 6 hour minimum of “sleep.” Furthermore, this renders the “at least” in “a period of downtime, at least 8 hours long” not only redundant but factually incorrect. Under this interpretation, it’s actually impossible to engage in a period of downtime longer than 8 hours without completing a long rest partway through it.

I am interpreting a long rest as consisting of three categories of activity: sleeping, “light activity” (which includes reading, talking, eating, and standing watch), and “adventuring activity” (which includes fighting, casting spells, and walking.) In order to complete a long rest, you must complete at least 8 hours engaging in some combination of these three activities, at least 6 hours of which must be “sleeping,” no more than 2 hours of which mat be “light activity,” and no more than 1 hour of which may be “adventuring activity.” This makes it possible for a long rest that includes some amount of adventuring activity to take more than 8 hours to complete, justifying the “at least” portion, though admittedly in doing so it does appear to include fighting in what it describes as “a period of downtime.” I am inclined to suspect this is the unintentional result of using casual language to describe the 8+ hour period. In other words, I suspect they are being overly casual with their use of the word “downtime” rather than intentionally using it to define a category of activity, comprised of two subcategories.
Thanks for elaborating on your interpretation! :) I disagree that it is the most natural reading, but I can see where you are coming from.

To clarify, I disagree that my approach renders redundant/incorrect the "at least" in "a period of downtime, at least 8 hours long". As I see it, light activity is categorically downtime, but you can only count two hours of light activity towards the 8 hour minimum. A character who sleeps for three hours, goes on watch (light activity) for four hours, then sleeps for three more hours has had a period of downtime of ten hours, but has only accumulated eight hours for purposes of meeting the requirements of a long rest.

One other clarification, although it's more of a quibble... I don't view the adventuring activity as "part" of a long rest. A long rest is a period of downtime and I read downtime as excluding strenuous activity. So by my reading adventuring activity (up to, but not including, 1 hour) simply doesn't count towards the required amount of downtime to benefit from a long rest and thus isn't "part" of the long rest. Adventuring activity of an hour or more not only doesn't count towards the accumulated downtime, it also erases any downtime accumulated so far.

Otherwise I don't see downtime having two subcomponents as awkward, and I addressed in my last post why I think the specification on the maximum number of hours of light activity is a reasonable clarification under my interpretation, rather than purely redundant. Even if it were purely redundant, I still think other factors (as previously discussed) weigh against your interpretation.

Remove ads