D&D General what is a hill dwarf?

I actually think that's a pretty sweet bit of design, since that gives something for (almost) everyone. There are few classes where neither a Strength bonus nor armor proficiency is useful, and even fewer classes where both are.

It has been. But it isn't anymore, since we will have floating ASIs.

Sorry. Poorly worded question on my part.
Do you think 5.5 will consolidate (lessen choices) regarding the subraces? Obviously, you do think this for dwarves. How about elves? Gnomes? Halflings?
Thanks.

There will be no subraes for ASI increase's sake.
Also base races need a substantial ability.

Halflings already have a strong ability in halfling luck.
The poison resistance and stealth bonuses are neat on top.
So I can see having a distinction between stout and lightfoot halflings, although no full writeup.
Elves are so different that they might get 2 or 3 full entries. Different speed, different magical abilities, cantrips, woodsy things. On the other hand, they might also just all have a different kind of magical abilities. As drow got drow magic by default, wood elves could get wood elven magic by default (spread over 5 levels) and high elves might get a little increase in their magical abilities. So it could all fit in a sidebar that tells us how elves just get magicappropriate to their surroundings.
We also might get 2 new abilities that really distinguish mountain and hill dwarves, but somehow I doubt it because of all the (sub-) races, dwarves are the least distinguishable...

Laurefindel

Legend
I tend to go with the FR take, whereas mountain dwarves are a different ethnic group splintered from the hill dwarves “stock” that remained in the south.

In a more pragmatic way, hill dwarves and mountain dwarves are simply two variants on the same race, offering different options during character creation in a typical D&D way of selling races and classes as packages. Basically, do you want dwarf A or dwarf B? These are the two choices you have.

Why aren’t humans also offered in a variety of ethnic/cultural/geographical variations? Boy would I ever wish they were, but I’m in a minority it seems.

With floating ability score adjustments and “pick-a-feature” race design, the distinction becomes less and less relevant. I’m still trying to figure out whether it’s a good thing or not…

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
That was literally my first thought. But I was just pleased to see a DF reference.

Only Mountain Dwarves would set up mermaid farms, dig too greedily, and fill the world with lava.
"You need an aqueduct. The aqueduct needs to be made of stone. You just murdered dozens of our BEST TRADING PARTNERS, YOU BASTARD!

...You could also dig a new channel down south, so we could flood whichever hemisphere angered us"

Remove ads