• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is a Reflex save

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Anubus said:
Howdy,

I've long wondered exactly what a reflex save actually is. Is it ducking behind a conveniently placed rock, or actually dashing out of the area of effect? Does it depend on terrain? Do you make your player's actually move outside the area of effect?

Though I've never actually done it, I've begun toying with the idea of actually forcing creatures to move out of the area of effect if they make their Reflex save. The movement wouldn't count against the creatures movement for the round, and if their was no place they could go within their movement that would be "safe", they cannot use evasion, but a character could still drop prone, or cower behind a shield to get the regular save effect. Any comments on that? Cheers

If you allow PCs to move on reflex saves to avoid fireball at least have it count agains their movement otherwise you're going to have people strategically using fireballs to move around ofr battlefield advantage..

Twowolves

Explorer
In 4th ed Gamma World, if you made your "Reflex save", you were considered prone, and if the effect was an explosive, you were moved to the nearest spot on the next "ring" of damage increment. I only mention this because a lot of 3.x D&D came from GW4th.

Otherwise, a save vs fireball could mean dropping prone for the split second of impact, and bouncing back up again, covering your face/holding your breath, ducking under your cloak/behind your shield, etc etc. Whatever makes sense at that particular moment, including falling back on extrodinary luck/divine intervention if nothing else.

Twowolves Howling

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dungeon blaster said:
What if you are asleep? Can you use evasion? Do you even get a reflex save?

It depends whether you consider someone who is incapable of movement to have 'room to move'.

-Hyp.

3d6

Explorer
A Reflex save is a combination of luck and hero field, modified by your speed.
A Will save is a combination of luck and hero field, modified by your wisdom.
A Fortitude save is a combination of luck and hero field, modified by your toughness.

Felnar

First Post
are there any rules for certain armors/shield types giving bonuses to save throws?
what book?
there were in 2ed (for like full-plate vs dragons breath)

if there arent in 3.5ed, does anyone see balance issues if i made some?

thanks,
- Felnar

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
You might be able to use the combining magic items rule at the back of the magic section. Add 50% to the price of the cheaper one and add.

Felnar said:
are there any rules for certain armors/shield types giving bonuses to save throws?
what book?
there were in 2ed (for like full-plate vs dragons breath)

if there arent in 3.5ed, does anyone see balance issues if i made some?

Someone using a Tower Shield can use it to gain total cover. Someone who has cover gains a bonus on Reflex saves - if he actually needs to make one.

SRD said:
Cover and Reflex Saves: Cover grants you a +2 bonus on Reflex saves against attacks that originate or burst out from a point on the other side of the cover from you. Note that spread effects can extend around corners and thus negate this cover bonus.

Total Cover: If you don’t have line of effect to your target he is considered to have total cover from you. You can’t make an attack against a target that has total cover.

SRD said:
Shield, Tower: This massive wooden shield is nearly as tall as you are. In most situations, it provides the indicated shield bonus to your AC. However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so. The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else.

When employing a tower shield in combat, you take a –2 penalty on attack rolls because of the shield’s encumbrance.

diaglo

Adventurer
dungeon blaster said:
What if you are asleep? Can you use evasion? Do you even get a reflex save?
ask yourself a couple questions.

can you CdG a sleeper?

what is the dex of a sleeper? is it effectively equal to Zero and thus the penalty incurred is minus 5?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads