What is a ring of sustenance worth to you?

shilsen

Adventurer
Djeta Thernadier said:
All I want to know is, why a llama? :)
One day said a gaucho named Bruno,
"Now screwing is one thing I do know!
A woman is fine,
And a sheep is divine,
But a llama - is numero uno!"

Hey, you asked :)

Okay, so the ring eliminates the need to eat or drink, and lowers the need to sleep...

How about bathroom breaks? Huh, huh? How often have people brought bathroom breaks into the lives of their characters? Huh?

(Note: this is an attempt to get someone to post the story of that adventurer with the overfull bladder...)

Asmor

First Post
Heretic Apostate said:
Okay, so the ring eliminates the need to eat or drink, and lowers the need to sleep...

How about bathroom breaks? Huh, huh? How often have people brought bathroom breaks into the lives of their characters? Huh?

(Note: this is an attempt to get someone to post the story of that adventurer with the overfull bladder...)

Ask an ye shall recieve...

In a very short lived campaign, after defeating a few Kobolds, the fighter said he was going to relieve himself against a wall. We were then stopped playing for some reason (we were playing in school so something probably came up). The fighter wasn't present for the next session, so we just kinda forgot about him. After that he came back and asked what was up. I told him he was still peeing and that the Kobolds were using the nearby, now full, pit trap as a swimming pool.

I could see it being a very useful item for a spymaster type.

With an extra 6 hours a day, you could analyze intelligence 25% more effectively than without, not to mention getting 6 hours at night to sneak around while still looking fresh for important court functions. If you're not fighting, that's worth more than a +1 Weapon any day of the week.

Not having to worry about getting posioned in your food is only a side benefit.

DiFier

First Post
no one has mentioned that fact that geting the equivelent of 8 hour of sleep in two hours, is great for wizards. it makes sleeping in shifts for guard duty much easier on wizards.

Trainz

Explorer
I wasn't aware of the two hours sleep thingy of this item.

In the game I play in, we often get attacked during the night. Then the DM rolls a d4 to see who was on guard duty (and thus, the only one awake). With this item, he would roll on a d4 who WASN'T on guard duty, and thus initial melee would begin with almost all PC's ready.

That would make a huge difference in our game.

Plus, it would save logistical problems about food carrying and buying (we rule in our game that rations only last for 30 days, and thus fresh rations have to be bought again in 30 days. We never buy more than 30 days worth rations, and sometimes it is a problem with long expeditions).

Last edited:

Gort

Explorer
My fighter wears one at level 16, cause he's in an evil party, and 6 hours less asleep is 6 hours less spent in a potential coup-de-grace situation.

@Asmor:

Nah, that's not it. What I'm talking about is something like a journal entry, where an adventurer is complaining about how he's killed dragons, saved towns, and been in many a tavern, but he's never taken a pee break. Ever. After however many pitchers of beer...

Zhure

First Post
DiFier said:
no one has mentioned that fact that geting the equivelent of 8 hour of sleep in two hours, is great for wizards. it makes sleeping in shifts for guard duty much easier on wizards.

You still need 8 hours of uninterrupted rest to recover arcane spells. Two of those can be the ones spent sleeping with the ring. I've found the Ring of Sustenance is a bit less useful for Wizzies for that reason, but it's still one of my favorite low-cost permanent magic items.

Greg

Remove ads