D&D (2024) What is "compatible"?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Some initial thoughts. Compatible can mean a lot of things, and allow for a lot of change. But not all changes.

Changes that are clearly compatible:

Options already introduced in latter books*
New stuff that is 5e compatible
Reinterpreting alignment or making it optional
Detailed revisions to existing spells and class features
Feat revisions, perhaps major ones, but feats stay
Clarifying stealth, surprise, and (other) ability checks
Monster math, as long as the intended power level of the creature is the same
Magic item revisions, optional rules, DM advice
Rewriting non-rules text
New art
Books that don’t fall apart.

Changes that may be compatible

Rebalancing the adventure day or approaching it in a different way…
…like the short-long rest balance of classes
…and or major changes to healing and death
Tweaking the combat action economy
More substantial revisions to higher level play
Subclasses that work with more than 1 class
Total rewrite of multiclassing and feat rules
Total rewrite of inspiration or similar system
Rewrite of skills/ability checks
New non-combat subsystems for exploration or NPC interaction.

Not compatible(?)

Big changes to intended monster power levels
Big changes to PC power levels (e.g. first level characters with 20 hp)
Big changes to saving throws or ability checks
Big changes to the action economy…
…including bonus actions and reactions
Going outside any D&D isms (there will still be d20 mechanic, ability scores, classes, hits points, something like races, monsters etc)

*Edit: though compatibility with pre-2024 options and new core books might be an issue.

Last edited:

HippyCraig

Explorer
I’m also wondering how this will play out on dndbeyond. wen looking up Stuff in a players handbook will it merge the two related aticles with markings for each in the document etc.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I
In terms of the upcoming revision: being able to run existing Adventures as written while referencing the new MM and with PCs from the new PHB, or a new Adventure with PCs and Monsters from the older books. Or have a mix of PCs from the 2014 and 2024 core books working together.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I
In terms of the upcoming revision: being able to run existing Adventures as written while referencing the new MM and with PCs from the new PHB, or a new Adventure with PCs and Monsters from the older books. Or have a mix of PCs from the 2014 and 2024 core books working together.

I’m also wondering how this will play out on dndbeyond. wen looking up Stuff in a players handbook will it merge the two related aticles with markings for each in the document etc.

So you could have the revised warlock and the classic warlock?

I am guessing one would replace the other. But its possible.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It's not compatible if people with different PHBs can't be at the same table.

So what is compatible? Having different options. 2014 Fighter and 2024 Fighter can be different as long as both could be played at the same table and have the game run just fine.

It's also not compatible if I can't play future adventures with a 2014 Monster Manual.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's not compatible if people with different PHBs can't be at the same table.

So what is compatible? Having different options. 2014 Fighter and 2024 Fighter can be different as long as both could be played at the same table and have the game run just fine.

It's also not compatible if I can't play future adventures with a 2014 Monster Manual.
Yeah, this. The exceptions based design of 5E makes this very doable.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I
Not only that, but being able to play a newPHB Ranger with a Tasha’s or whatever subclass. Being able to take fears from any official 5e D&D book regardless of which PHB you built the character from.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Finally listing to the event.

Its an "evolution". The next evolution. Its clearly a big change--a multi-year project.

But completely compatible with all 5e books.
This is why I think what I said above is true.

compatible with all 5e books requires that the warlock still be a short rest based class, gain its subclass features at the same level, etc.

It doesn’t require that the Ranger learn spells, though, just that it has spell slots with which to cast any subclass or alt feature spells it might gain. So a variant option that uses spells slots to power exploration themed stuff with a short list, ranging from “poultices” to increased short rest healing, to forced march travel without exhaustion, to a specialized “trolls gift”/wolfsbane style poison system.

Stalker0

Legend
There are two "tiers" of compatible to me.

1) Two Systems, One Table: This is the standard level up is attempting. Aka I can play 2024 fighter and you can player 2014 fighter and we both feel reasonably good with no obvious problems, imbalances, or rules conflicts. I consider this one the higher standard and is the most restricting.

2) Adventure Module compatible. Basically a DM who reads through an adventure module written before 2024 could run it using 2024 books without issue. Aka no terms are used for completely different things, no monsters are so fundamentally changed that a "medium" encounter in the book becomes deadly with the 2024 versions, etc.

Remove ads