• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What is player agency to you?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
But the GM literally will know what you're doing because you have to tell them your intent and how you intend to make it happen...

How can you game someone by telling them specifically what you want and proposing (not simply declaring) an approach to make that happen?

I genuinely don't understand how it is possible to "game" someone when you're not only playing with your cards face-up, you're literally giving a specific explanation of your strategy.

Isn't "gaming the DM" really just using information you know about the DM's preferences for advantage?

In which case - it's usually possible.

system neutral example:

The group is trying to get into a castle to rescue someone. We figure there are 3 ways in: Bluff our way in, sneak our way in, force/fight our way in.

Let's say the party is capable of any of the 3 relatively equally.

BUT, I happen to know the DM hates stealth and will make that option particularly difficult. So instead we pick one of the other 2. That's technically gaming the DM.

Is it usually that blatant, or even a big deal? Not from what I've seen. But it's certainly a thing.

Isn't "gaming the DM" really just using information you know about the DM's preferences for advantage?

As I wrote upthread, I’m not certain what “Gaming the GM” means. Could be one of multiple things, what you’ve written among them.

However, what I do know is that The Jargon Police TM are going to be along any minute now to read us our rights and take us away to Jargon Prison for language that is elitist, exclusionary, and gatekeeping-ish.

They will perform this arrest and sentence to prove that The Great Jargon Inquisition is in no way a double standard motivated by culture war animus!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
As I wrote upthread, I’m not certain what “Gaming the GM” means. Could be one of multiple things, what you’ve written among them.

However, what I do know is that The Jargon Police TM are going to be along any minute now to read us our rights and take us away to Jargon Prison for language that is elitist, exclusionary, and gatekeeping-ish.

They will perform this arrest and sentence to prove that The Great Jargon Inquisition is in no way a double standard motivated by culture war animus!
Does this serve any purpose other than to inflame?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Two things:

* To make a joke to generate a chuckle. Laughter is good medicine!

* To say accurate things!

Mod Note:
Accurate does not equal helpful, constructive, or kind. And hyperbole is, by definition, inaccurate.

While maybe you found it funny, others did not, and reported you, so now you get red text and a hairy eyeball from a moderator.

So, dial it back, please and thanks.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I get that some people...somehow...never ever meet bad players. Of course forums like this are full of bad player...and DM stories....so some must exist somewhere.

Of course, this is discussing "bad players" as if that is a well-known thing. When the exact behaviors that are "bad" will vary from tale to table, and game to game.

If it is SO IMPOSSIBLE to happen: Why, oh, why is it given as AN EXAMPLE?

1.Player wishes to randomly find some family members
2.Player makes check
3.DM says "oh, there are some family members right there".

So what part am I missing? Player made a wish. Player made a roll and made a rule check. DM did what the rule...and player...told them to do.

What you are missing is context.

You seem to have removed (and simplified) a segment of play from its context in play, resulting in a thing that doesn't represent what happens in play. In the version above the one I quote, you say the player asks for something "at random" - and it isn't at random at all.

In games that allow this sort of player input, there is a specific method for it. There's a time, place, or occasion for it, and the rules give you the scope of what the request can be. It is worked in as a specific part of gameplay, such that the GM and player have both already signed off on the idea the player can make these requests before play begins.

None of which means you have to like this mode of play - but if you mischaracterize it, and then argue against it, you are arguing against a strawman of your own creation, not against the reality of play.

Edit to add:
There is also an issue that might be creeping in here, which is that frequently we are looking at a difference between (tactical) task resolution in something like D&D, and conflict resolution in a more narrative game.

If you are running a game based on tactical task resolution, a player asking for arbitrary things at arbitrary times doesn't work - the player cannot ask for arbitrary resources to meet a current tactical need.

If you are running a game based in conflict resolution, the player asking for things is not generally asking for tactical material benefit to help resolve matters. The player is often asking for narrative details which do not impact the actual conflict resolution die roll success or failure. Indeed, in such games, we are often not nearly so fixated on "success" in the conflict - succeed or fail, the narrative will go on.

Last edited:

bloodtide

Legend
It can't be a surprise that such a reductionist take makes the game look absurd.
Again, it was the example given.

The player cannot--repeat, CANNOT--just ask for "something at random." Like the GM, the player must remain consistent with what is known to be true. Maybe they push toward something new, maybe they just bring back up something old, but they can't simply contradict, and they definitely cannot just will reality to be whatever they want it to be, whenever they want it to be that way.
Ok, so an example was given. I look at the example, and point out some obvious things.

Ok.....then, I get told "oh there are like 25 OTHER unmentioned rules and like 25 OTHER "gentleman agreement' things that were not mentioned at all in the example, but must be enforced at all times. So....I wonder why all of this was not mentioned before to put the example in context.

Player says something reasonable that they want to do, which is consistent with the above (= the player "follows the fiction")
Ok....but are there any rules for what is "reasonable"? What is "reasonable"? Who gets to make the final call? And I'd guess your going to say the GM....so, the player goes back to having NO agency as the GM can always just say "no".

1. GM frames a scene appropriate to point #1 that potentially enables point #2
Right, GM does what the player tells them to do, we have established this point.
The GM tells the player(s) what exactly has happened, and what the new situation is.
So if the GM can just decide whatever, so where is the player agency?
  1. Player thinks/asks about what's going on
  2. GM tells them (framing a scene)
  3. Player tries to do something that makes sense
  4. If flat yes (or flat no), go back to step 1; if neither, use the rules to resolve it (often, a roll)
  5. GM uses that result to tell the player reasonable consequences for their attempt
  6. Repeat from start (possibly with a different player)
That is what is happening. Every single time. You keep inventing wild, crazy nonsense that doesn't even match the first point, which makes everything that comes after it wrong.
Right...so the above apples to games like D&D too. Except 2 is "the DM describes the game reality around the character". And 3 is "the player can have the character attempt to do anything with the characters abilities in the fictional reality. And 5 is "the GM tells the player what happens 100%"

But...ok, this still does not address the example of "player keeps and eye out for family members, rolls a rule check, and the GM alters reality to the players wish and says "your bother is right there next to you".

Players can't just declare what they want at random.
So, yet again, this is exactly what happens in the example.
GMs can't just declare what they think should happen at random.
Yes they can. It's exactly what GMs always do nearly every second of game play. In your above, the GM is doing this for both 2 and 5.....and most of all 4.
Nobody has that much unbound freedom in this context. Both sides must make sense. If someone is truly trying to push for nonsense, they have already broken the rules.
If there were such rules, I'd guess they must be like 500 pages or more. But it seems a rule or two on a page that says "your game must make sense" would not be of any real help.
With @pemerton's example of the dwarf and his brother, it is not, at all, "I want to meet a relative in this random place, who will then give me everything I desire." You have failed before you even get to the tenth word. Because it isn't just a random place. The place they're in IS his hometown. This is already known. If you had bothred to read Pemerton's posts, you would know that Auxol IS Thurgon's hometown, a place where relatives of his have some authority. Of course he could expect to find some of his relatives there if he keeps an eye out for them...that's where they live.
I will grant the example of "being in their hometown" is a bit vague, but we are not told they are in any specific place....so they could just be on a road somewhere.

To me it's like your saying "the players wish power can only effect an area the size of a 'hometown', so guess a mile or so, but not like "the whole galaxy".
And then you insert this utterly ridiculous notion about getting 25 healing potions from the brother. Nothing whatsoever like that occurs. At all. You keep harping on your invented examples like that, but nothing in what Pemerton said looks like that!
Right, I thought it was clear that was My Example. If I need to say it: that was my example.
Instead, it's just, "I'm on the lookout for members of my family, I want to talk with them and find out what's going on." So the GM frames a situation where, at some point along the PCs' walk, they pass a field where Thurgon's brother is located-
Right, we got the "player wished for something" and the "GM made it happen for them" down pat.
At no point did anything ridiculous like this "25 healing potions" thing come in. At no point was the player asking for something unreasonable--and if they had, they would be playing in bad faith, and told to stop or, if it gets out of hand, to leave.
And...wait....how is this any different then any GM doing anything any player does not like ever?

Likewise, if the GM is simply dictating what is true to the players, narrating the results of their actions without actually respecting the rules for how actions should be resolved, then the GM is being unreasonable and SHOULD be told to stop. Do you see how this relationship is reciprocal? All participants are required to obey the rules, and one of the rules is that you be reasonable and attempt actions (or frame scenes, for GMs) that are reasonable. The instant you start asking for ridiculous nonsense, no matter who you are, you have broken the rules.
This is just Word Salad though. It's endless unhelpful words on a page.

Player walks up to a house door and says "I look for the key under the doormat"...a Very Reasonable thing. Player gets a 100 on the roll rule whatever. The GM says "nope no key"...also a Very Reasonable thing. Both player and GM grab the rule book an point to the "reasonable rule"....and what, the game ends?

There is a whole chapter of Circles rules, which explain how obstacles are set, how dice pools are put together (including Affiliations and Reputations), and how success and failure are narrated. There is also a discussion of how Affiliations and Reputations are established as part of PC building or advancement, of how Contacts are established, and of how a Contact can turn into a Relationship.
Well, you did not include any of this for context. Though "not seeing family members at a single spot in the characters hometown" sure seems like a HUGE stretch to say that is an "obstacle".
No it's not. It's an example of a player declaring an action, of the dice pool being built and rolled to resolve that action, of the result being a success, and of the consequence of that success being established as part of the fiction.
Ok, you just said what I said. Player makes a wish/request/declaration/other word salad. Player rolls successful check. Dm does what the player wants/establishes what the player wants as part of the fiction.
Finding a pile of gold would generally be a Scavenger test. The difficulty for finding 1D of gold, in a place where gold might be found, is Ob 3. If a PC was in a treasury, one would expect the difficulty for finding a relatively small amount of gold to be less.
Ok, so a different rule but same effect? Player walks over to a random tree and says "I keep and eye out for a pile of gold". Player succeeds a scavenger check. GM says "you find a pile of gold under the tree". Same thing.
When are you saying I said this? I have not said this.
Well, I'd guess you will say it, for example, in response to the above scavenger test check for a pile of gold. I'd guess you are likely to say "Oh a player can't just say a pile of gold is just anywhere" and that is a Huge limit on where the player can "just say" a pile of gold is. So where can the player use the scavenger test ability to find gold then? Maybe ten places world wide? And only places, you as GM, say gold is there? So, this would be you saying the player can only shape teeny tiny bits of fiction once in a while.

I mean have players ever introduced an idea to your game on their own. Has anyone ever said something like “Maybe it was that necromancer we ran into a few sessions ago” and then you were like “wow, why didn’t I think of that?” and decided to make that so?
No. That is something you would see in a game with a Casual GM. The type of GM with a backwards baseball cap and a bottle of Mt. Dew, who when they hear the player mention the 'necromancer', will then say "woooah, cool story bro, I'm tottaly going to use that".

I'm the GM with a massive plan.
Like I don’t mean them responding to something you’ve introduced, like slaying a dragon that you placed in the game world. I mean them introducing something entirely new. An NPC family member or patron, maybe a villain of some sort. A family heirloom that played a prominent role in a character’s story.
Well, something in a backstory is pre approved by me first before getting in the game. And in any case I have 100% creative control over everything. So, sure a player can put a "Super Duper Sword of All Dragon Slaying".....annnnddddd, I will say is a dragon bane sword that does a bit of extra damage.

And sure they can give me the name and bare bones of an NPC in their background "My characters dad is a rich merchant", but then I have full control over everything.
That never happens in anyone’s game, stop being silly.
Even if you say it's silly....it would happen in silly games. Though also Cartoon games, Goofy games and Games that don't make sense. You can say it will never happen in your game....but there are hundreds of others where it can and will.
What I think you’re missing here is that if you fail the roll, it’s not just “oh no one’s available to help”, but that there’s a consequence of some sort. Maybe you do find your old friend… but they’re in jail. Or as you ask around town for your friend, you attract unwanted attention. There’s no simple “oh well, I failed, let’s move on”… each such roll is consequential.
Right, I get the idea that a player can never fail a roll and always gets what they want.

Player wishes to find a healer to heal them for free....but oh, no, the healer is in jail. Bail is 10 gold. Yawn. Character pays the bail and gets their free healing. Exciting game play for some.
It’s a pretty fine example of player agency supported by mechanics.
It's the worst example I've ever seen.

A player can occasionally make a roll to 'do agency' under the massive restrictions of the vague rules, and the total control of the GM to do very, very, very slight, tiny and minor effects...under total control of the GM, sometimes "with a cost".

Then everyone says "wow, look at that Player Agency!"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ok.....then, I get told "oh there are like 25 OTHER unmentioned rules and like 25 OTHER "gentleman agreement' things that were not mentioned at all in the example, but must be enforced at all times. So....I wonder why all of this was not mentioned before to put the example in context.

So, with respect, this thread cannot be, "teach bloodtide everything about the game in question." As a purely practical matter, that takes too much verbiage to expect people to type it out, repeating the entirety of rulebooks and such, in a thread that isnt' even about the one specific game.

If you require every single detail in order to understand, or at least accept, then you're going to have to learn the games outside of discussions around them.

Ok....but are there any rules for what is "reasonable"? What is "reasonable"?

What is reasonable is defined by context - you have a genre you are working with, and these segments of play are happening within the scope of a narrative. If you are playing a game about WWI trench warfare, asking for a jet to deliver napalm on the enemy lines is not reasonable. Nor is asking Superman to show up and defeat the enemy with brute force and invulnerability to bullets and explosives.

Yes, there is an assumption of good faith on part of the players to stay within bounds.

If that assumption would fail with your players, that's not really the game's fault. It doesn't have to be good for your players to be a valid way to play.

Who gets to make the final call?

There's also the option for good faith negotiation, you know.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Edit to add:
There is also an issue that might be creeping in here, which is that frequently we are looking at a difference between (tactical) task resolution in something like D&D, and conflict resolution in a more narrative game.

If you are running a game based on tactical task resolution, a player asking for arbitrary things at arbitrary times doesn't work - the player cannot ask for arbitrary resources to meet a current tactical need.

If you are running a game based in conflict resolution, the player asking for things is not generally asking for tactical material benefit to help resolve matters. The player is often asking for narrative details which do not impact the actual conflict resolution die roll success or failure. Indeed, in such games, we are often not nearly so fixated on "success" in the conflict - succeed or fail, the narrative will go on.

If this meshes with what @pemerton @AbdulAlhazred @Campbell and others have been saying this feels like it should be very helpful to me in thinking through things. So, I'm just checking if it is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads