What is the best chain fast food restaurant?

What is the best chain fast food restaurant?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Also: fast food breakfast preferences

There’s only two fast food breakfasts I’ll seek out and eat: the Jack In The Box Breakfast Jack and the Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuits.
One of the best kept secrets is that White Castle actually has a banging breakfast.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've only been to them around Chicago, generally when I was visiting for Adepticon (once for the 'Ard Boys final, and once driving back to the airport from a visit to WI). Love them and make a point of getting a Chicago dog or two at least once when I'm in the area. But they're still a sit-down, no-drive through place, right?
A Portillos recently moved into my neck of the woods and it has a drive through.

payn

I've only been to them around Chicago, generally when I was visiting for Adepticon (once for the 'Ard Boys final, and once driving back to the airport from a visit to WI). Love them and make a point of getting a Chicago dog or two at least once when I'm in the area. But they're still a sit-down, no-drive through place, right?
The ones they been building here have drive thrus.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Additional thoughts on the poll and places-

1. This poll really needed to be broken down into component parts. Burger places. Chicken places. TexMex (Taco) places. And, um, other I guess? Or maybe with stricter criteria; perhaps a minimum number of states, like 20 or more (national chains). Heck, I just realized that Dunkies (aka, Boston Tim Hortons) isn't on it. Not that it would get many, if any, votes.

2. Regarding In-N-Out. The problem that a lot of people have with In-N-Out is that because it is relatively limited geographically (if you haven't been out west, you've never been to one), you may have only heard of it as this amazing place. So you go and you have these unrealistic expectations. But INO is not a gourmet burger place; instead, it's ... well, it's a California thing, but the way I think it's best described is that INO is what you'd get if McDonalds had stuck to a core menu and sourced fresh ingredients. It's the platonic ideal of the what the "American Fast Food" experience is. Plus they treat their employees incredibly well, which leads to a good experience, and they are famous for their (not-so-secret) menu, which is basically just "we will do whatever you ask with the limited stuff we have, and we have names for it." But if you're going in there expecting something other than good fast food, you will be disappointed. Also? The fries suck. If you get the fries, make sure to order them "well done" if you want them to be tolerable. Or just get them "animal style."

3. Sonic? Really? I get that people love their slushies, and enjoy ice cream. But while they have a plethora of food options, the one commonality of all of their food (other than slushies and their blizzard knock off) is that it isn't fit to serve to your worst enemy. It's just bad. Admittedly, I have been to a good Sonic, and the food was ... fine. But almost every single time I've had the misfortune of eating at a Sonic, I've regretted it.

4. When it comes to the burgers, I stand firmly in my assessment that the two best are Shake Shack (the Smoke Shack is probably my single favorite fast food burger) and Five Guys (all the way + jalapenos). Culver's has really good burgers, plus the frozen custard puts it over the top. Finally, In-N-Out is still the platonic ideal of the "classic" fast food of Americana, although the actuality of the burger experience can never live up to the California Cult that surrounds it.

payn

3. Sonic? Really? I get that people love their slushies, and enjoy ice cream. But while they have a plethora of food options, the one commonality of all of their food (other than slushies and their blizzard knock off) is that it isn't fit to serve to your worst enemy. It's just bad. Admittedly, I have been to a good Sonic, and the food was ... fine. But almost every single time I've had the misfortune of eating at a Sonic, I've regretted it.
Thank you.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
This is super-weird, since their big thing is that nothing is ever frozen and much of it is delivered fresh each day. It honestly sounds like you're describing Five Guys.

Well, one less person in the super-long drive-thru line, then.
My wife and I had it once on an anniversary trip prepandemic.

We both thought it was really good and fresh and wished we had one near our home.

I can say that several place I eat changed after the pandemic. As in the meat was not as good quality etc.

If I have the opportunity to go to in-n-out again, I am taking it based on my only trial

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Once or twice a year, after a very long drinking session, WC sounds irresistible to me. Would not go any other time.
I love White Castle.

Once playing a many hours long AD&D session back in the 90s, I need a second dinner.

About an hour later my DM said “you look…green.”

I had to leave White Castle alone for a little while but I am back

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Heck, I just realized that Dunkies (aka, Boston Tim Hortons) isn't on it. Not that it would get many, if any, votes.
Dunks might get a few sentimental votes from New England. Their sausage egg croissant sandwich is better than it has any right to be (I can taste the herbs in the sausage patty) and pretty consistent, though location quality is definitely variable across their approximately three million locations.

They get my breakfast vote.

Last edited:

Remove ads