What is the essence of 4E?

Emerikol

Adventurer
The issue I'd have with one big campaign setting per edition of the game is that I think you always need a traditional swords & sorcery style world like Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms. So if you innovate with a Ebberon (which while not my cup of tea I do recognize as really innovative) or Darksun you kind of lose a lot of your players.

Maybe I should start a new thread.

Satyrn

First Post
My ulterior motive is that I'm trying to figure out whether I would enjoy Pathfinder 2, based on what I know about other games it may be drawing from, such as 4E.

So far, this thread is making PF2 sound good to me, because it seems to be drawing from the parts of 4E that I liked and not from the parts that I didn't.

4e stripped me of my desire to homebrew.

I enjoyed creating classes and prestige classes in 3e, but I quickly found that to be far too much work in 4e as each class had so many levels and each level needed at least two powers. I was quickly cursing WotC for not arranging the powers in various themed lists so I could just assign a few to my homebrew class (rather like the Book of 9 Swords does).

I wonder if PF2 is arranging its class feats into themed lists. It should.

PS: In retrospect, the best thing about 4e was that it broke my interest in that sort of homebrewing. I'm happily chugging along with 5e with only a couple tweaks (to rest and encumbrance) and focusing my homebrewing efforts into making little dungeons inspired by 4e's Dungeon Delves . . . the two best things about 4e . . .

Remove ads