Gate Pass Gazette What is the intention of the Gate Pass Gazette?

VanguardHero

Adventurer
sheer number of subclasses for some classes in O5e
o5e's options are downright anemic for the amount of choices you actually get to make. A "Subclass" is more or less a pregenerated character you get to decide on. Which leaves very little room for tweaking one into something you'd enjoy, so it has to be, as a whole, something you want.

Also, not everybody wants to play the same things. There should be options that catch the interest and imagination of everyone. I tend to hate Wizards and Druids so huge swathes of content are irrelevant to me, but some people LOVE those Classes. Speaking of Dragon Magazine, one of my favorite pieces of 4e Lore, Nusemnee, was from a small Dragon article on Dead Gods, who I've made multiple characters based on. Never know what's going to stick to who, and the more content there is the more chance people get something that really speaks to them.

The one thing that I'll agree on is the concern over VTT Support. o5e is a fractured mess with an SRD that calling barebones would be insulting to skeletons, and it results in a fractured online experience that punishes those who actually enjoy buying the books. It's an area that if Level Up is more generous with its SRD could be a significant selling point for people tired of buying o5e content twice or more over. Pathfinder's SRD helped to get people willing to give it a go, and for a system much closer to o5e it would likely be even easier. And I want it to be as easy as possible to pull people away from o5e to Level Up.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
o5e's options are downright anemic for the amount of choices you actually get to make. A "Subclass" is more or less a pregenerated character you get to decide on. Which leaves very little room for tweaking one into something you'd enjoy, so it has to be, as a whole, something you want.

Also, not everybody wants to play the same things. There should be options that catch the interest and imagination of everyone. I tend to hate Wizards and Druids so huge swathes of content are irrelevant to me, but some people LOVE those Classes. Speaking of Dragon Magazine, one of my favorite pieces of 4e Lore, Nusemnee, was from a small Dragon article on Dead Gods, who I've made multiple characters based on. Never know what's going to stick to who, and the more content there is the more chance people get something that really speaks to them.

The one thing that I'll agree on is the concern over VTT Support. o5e is a fractured mess with an SRD that calling barebones would be insulting to skeletons, and it results in a fractured online experience that punishes those who actually enjoy buying the books. It's an area that if Level Up is more generous with its SRD could be a significant selling point for people tired of buying o5e content twice or more over. Pathfinder's SRD helped to get people willing to give it a go, and for a system much closer to o5e it would likely be even easier. And I want it to be as easy as possible to pull people away from o5e to Level Up.
Note that there’s a different between an SRD and an online tools compendium. The former is a technical tool for publishers to identify OGC; the latter is a tool for players to reference during play.

noodohs

Explorer
We are agreeing :) That was precisely my point, they went with quantity over quality. Lots of subclasses, maybe two of which are mechanically viable and none of which are particularly interesting. That is why I like LU.
Edit: Welp, I guess I am now patron #500. Let's do this.

Last edited:

VanguardHero

Adventurer
Note that there’s a different between an SRD and an online tools compendium. The former is a technical tool for publishers to identify OGC; the latter is a tool for players to reference during play.
I know, but my understanding is that it is the SRD that determines what can be included as part of the given content on VTTs like Foundry. Unless the character builder is built with Foundry integration or export features, I suppose.

Faolyn

(she/her)
As mentioned earlier, the dev time for each is longer than a month, so I doubt we're getting them any earlier now.
I think they meant, are the mags going to be monthly starting in March (as in, #2 comes out in April, #3 in May), or are they going to start out as every two months or six weeks at first and then eventually become monthly.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think they meant, are the mags going to be monthly starting in March (as in, #2 comes out in April, #3 in May), or are they going to start out as every two months or six weeks at first and then eventually become monthly.
Monthly from March. We've been working on them for a while (we had faith we'd hit the 500 subs).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases