What is the most scathing feedback you left?(+)

TheHand

Adventurer
In my conclusion, I told them how they had broken 10+ years of trust in their stewardship of D&D in a matter of days, and how that trust would be nearly impossible to return. I went on to add that if they only went back before that, they would see that the brand-name wasn't strong enough to carry them alone. Their decisions to funnel everything into a monopolized, digital system is what led to the end of their 4th edition, but at least then they were being honest about their intentions. The obfuscation and deceptive messaging actually remind me more of the final days of TSR, when again, they had turned the gaming community at large against them.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Really? I always thought the "+" was more about providing constructive contributions to the thread's topic rather than questioning or opposing its basic premise. It doesn't mean the topic itself needs to be uplifting or positive.
Same here.

Maybe I should wait before the moderators opine on this before I post my new thread on "Share your best tricks for crushing your players' spirits and killing their characters (+)".

😜

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I tried to keep my tone stern without being scathing, per se. But I made it clear that I found their actions to be grossly self-serving at the expense of their community, that they were acting completely unethically, were on legally-shaky ground, were shameless in their greed, and were short-sighted to their own detriment.

I also said, with regard to the OGL v1.2, that they can't regain their honor by acting dishonorably; I don't know why I slipped a Worf quote in there, but apparently I felt very strongly about doing so.

Bosen

Villager
-- What other feedback do you have for us (related to the Open Games License or otherwise)?
Keep OGL 1.0(a). Keep 5.1 SRD (and previous versions in full) available via the OGL. Provide a separate VTT addendum to cover such efforts. Trash the rest of it.

Offer many apologies and promise never to be such inconsiderate, greedy a**holes again. And then go apologize to your parents for dishonoring whatever good they taught you.

Seriously - you just alienated your most loyal customers for no good reason. You should all be ashamed.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I wrote that their planned conduct was cultural vandalism at best, and criminal at worst.

This. I hammered hard on Justin Alexander's "cultural vandalism" point, emphasizing that the OGL might be copyright WotC, but the vast majority of Open Game Content isn't owned by them, isn't necessarily derived from their IP, and in some pretty major cases (Fate, d6, and the like) was emphatically not derived from one of the SRDs. The OGL 1.0 is in the wild, it's viral, it's used for more than just D&D, and WotC simply cannot kill it, either legally or practically, so the very attempt is both self-defeating and absurdist.

I also quoted their own FAQ back at them and made very clear my intention to "continue to use an earlier, acceptable version at [my] option," just like they always said that I could.

Xyxox

Hero
I tied every comment back to OGL 1.0a and made sure to stress how they have insured this goes to court and will be argued before a jury.

Remove ads