What is the most statistically improbably die roll you've witnssed?

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
I've got a few of mine listed below the comic over here.

More recently, I documented sextuple sixes on Roll 20. That's a one in 46,656 chance. The roll? A between-combats lay on hands in Pathfinder, thus confirming my suspicion that Roll 20 is an elaborate troll.

1583427322992.png

What about the rest of you guys? What are the weirdest rolls you've ever witnessed?

Greg K

Legend
In Rolemaster you roll 2d10 as percentage dice. Most rolls are open-ended roll meaning, if you roll 96-00, you roll again and add the total to your previous roll. As long as your roll 96-100, you repeat the process. In combat, one of my friends rolls totaled almost 600 before he had to stop. He had also rolled over four hundred on multiple occasions- even when we had him switch and use someone else's dice
Too bad his die rolling didn't transfer to Vegas..

der_kluge

Adventurer
I had some players join my game as visiting characters (friends of friends), and unbeknownst to me, one of them had a set of loaded 6-sided die. In game, his character wagered (to me) that he could roll 3 6s in a bet. Of course, I took that bet. Imagine my surprise when it came up 3 sixes! Of course, they let me in on the joke, but it was too funny that I let it happen in game. It was hilarious.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I once had a MERP character that never rolled less than 96 on to hit with a bow. (that triggers open ended rolls as per Rolemaster above) and the one time he picked up a sword, fumbled and because of open ended die on the fumble table made a fumble roil of 350.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A long time ago...

Playing D&D. Using the Unearthed Arcana rules of rolling human characters - it is a system that generally used 9d6, keep top 3 for your primary stat, and 3d6 for your class' dump stat...

I ended up with a wizard with an 18 Str, and a 17 Int. :/

For a while, some of the guys I gamed with were into 3d6 straight down the line.

I came to the session with a character with very good stats (I don't remember what they were), and the DM wanted me to re-roll in front of him.

I proceeded to roll 17 on 3d6 six times in a row.

In another game, I played a wizard whom I meant to have a penchant for casting fireball.

When the character cast his first fireball, roll 5 on the 5d6.

When the character cast his second fireball, roll 8 on the 5d6.

When the character cast his third fireball, roll 7 on the 5d6.

After that, I switched to lightning bolt.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I rolled incredibly improbable rolls twice- one bad, knew good.

The bad was a 2Ed DarkSun game in which my high-con Dwarf PC rolled a sequence of multiple failed saves vs magic, poison, etc. PLUS system shock that resulted in him being incapacitated by a poisonous fog, taking max fireball damage, being transformed into a frog and dying from system shock.

The good was a 2Ed human Ftr/Clc who- in an evil demiplane, managed to destroy a death knight/lich type critter with a single shot from a Mace of Disruption. The improbability of that sequence of Nat20s was such that I asked the DM if her god Tyr had noticed. He said sure- a 1% chance, given our location. I rolled that 1%. I asked if he would reward her personally, again, given our location.

”Yes, 1%.”

After I rolled THAT 1%, Tyr appeared and granted her +1 Ftr level, raising her att/rd to 2/rd.

The DM, a math prodigy, later calculated the odds of that sequence as roughly equivalent to winning the lottery.

Last edited:

I've seen two nat 20s/nat 1s on advantage/disadvantage. But honestly, the wildest rolls have always been the ones that no one else witnessed. The guy off in the corner that claims to have rolled three crits in a roll, the person that shows up to play with a character with all 18s, and so on. Statistical probability can be a crazy thing, but most of those folks have just been plain old cheaters.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases