What is the most statistically improbably die roll you've witnssed?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
A friend of mine was complaining that his d6s always seemed to roll low when generating characters, we had him roll 21-3d6 rather than 3d6 to generate his stats. True to form, the dice rolled relatively low and he had a pretty decent character.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Oh, another ludicrously improbable set of die rolls....

I think this happened in Vault of the Drow... While the party was bickering over something I didn't care about, I moved off into the shadows down the corridor a bit to guard the party's rear. A group of drow come around the corner, hear the party, and head straight for them. If I raised the alarm, they'd all gang up on me, and I'd be toast. If I did nothing, they'd ambush the party. So... when you can't do something smart, do something stupid - I attacked.

In the series of attacks gained with surprise, wielding two weapons, I roll.. 20, 20, 20, 20, 18, 17 - with the crits and the sneak attack damage I got, four drow were dead and two more heavily injured before any of them got to act.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
In the vein of the other ICE examples listed above, my very first combat roll with my very first Rolemaster PC-- after months of these guys hyping the system to me, and a hours building my character-- I Open-Ended an attack roll of -487.

Due to a (likely intentional) misunderstanding of the rules, this resulted in my character biting his own head clean off. Twice.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Tangential story. This guy I played with at a convention last summer showed us his dice - which he had Wil Wheaton bless for him at a signing. In true Wheaton fashion, Wil blessed his dice to roll good "But only when it didn't matter!"

That same game, the guy had to make death saves - and lost them. And we all agreed that because it was a convention game, and the character was a brand new Adventurer's League game, that it certainly didn't matter. lol

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I think the most improbable dice thing I've seen recently was during a roll for treasure when on d100 I rolled 82 three times in a row. That's literally one-in-a-million, right?

atanakar

Hero
Once, a very long time ago (B/X), in the «heat» of the action I told a player his character had taken 8 points of damage. He complained I had not rolled the dice. I realized he was right. I said «are you sure you want me to roll?» He said yes. I rolled, got 18 on 3d6 and killed his character.

Another time, AD&D1e, our party was in a fight against our arch enemy. We had killed all his minions and it was the final fight against him. All he characters were unconscious except my friend's fighter who has at death's door. The evil cleric was simply too strong. My friend, who wasn't much of a role-player, suddenly got up from his chair, put his hands above his head as if holding a sword and said «Excalibur, come to my aid!» He rolled a 20. The sword was a vorpal weapon. He rolled again (100%) and decapitated the evil cleric! Unbelievable. We were all up from our chairs and screaming of joy.

I once rolled three 20s in a row trying to shoot a man fleeing on a horse while my character was ridding one himself.

Ulfgeir

Hero
I have 2 weird stuff. One that happened to me, and the other one I saw.

The one that happened to me was in Kult (1e). We were sneaking away on the rooftops (I think from a 3+ story building) from the police. I first rolled a 20 (on a d20). Critical failure, so I slipped and started falling. Then rolled a 1, (critical success) so I managed to catch hold of the edge of the roof and not falling down. Another character had to help me up. And then I immedeatly did the same thing again, on the same roof...

Most weird I have seen: in Exalted 2e. One character who was superspecialized on swaying people's emothions by just talking to them, rolled 34 d10's. Needed to roll 7+ on any die to get a success. Didn't roll a single success.

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
For a single roll, I rolled eight 1s on 8d10. The GM ruled my fire shugenja burst into flames...

For a series of rolls, playing Axis & Allies I attacked with 12 tanks against 2 infantry, with only 2 tanks surviving the battle. For those of you unaware, tanks need to roll 3 or lower on 1d6 and infantry need to roll 2 or lower. Every unit attacks each round. It was about round 5 that I got my first hit, while both his infantry hit almost every single round o_O

I think the most improbable dice thing I've seen recently was during a roll for treasure when on d100 I rolled 82 three times in a row. That's literally one-in-a-million, right?
Sure, but every combination of 3 percentile rolls is literally one-in-a-million. You aren't any more or less likely to roll 82/82/82 than you are to roll 44/07/65; you're just more likely to remember it.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Sure, but every combination of 3 percentile rolls is literally one-in-a-million. You aren't any more or less likely to roll 82/82/82 than you are to roll 44/07/65; you're just more likely to remember it.

Sure. Of course, most of what's being reported here is really more memorable than improbable, strictly speaking, innit? Especially when you consider that people who've played lots of games have seen lots of dice do lots of things.

Remove ads